2017 KTM 450 XC-F or 500 EXC-F?

Well I thought last year was the year I was going to nut up and buy a brand new bike. Long story short I bought a clean 530 EXC and built a shop instead. Well the shop is paid for now and I've managed to save 4 more G's. Planning on putting down a deposit next month for a '17 and selling the 530.

Before I do just looking for a little advice. I mostly ride in the desert with a few trips to the woods a year. I am 6' 220# intermediate rider and ride about 3-5 hare scrambles per year. I am comfortable doing all my own maintenance and am pretty experienced at rebuilding both 2 and 4 stroke motors. I have owned the 530 for a year now and so far it has been an awesome bike, but feels a little more tame than I am wanting in my next bike.

My concerns with the 500 are:

Heavy (17#'s more than the 450,but lighter than my 530.)

Tame engine

Too soft of suspension

My concerns with the 450:

The shorter ratio gears

5 speed

Lug ability

Maintenance queen

Thank you for any help you can give.

Kyle

This is why I purchased a 16 450 xc-w last week. Can dualsport it in WA.

Heavy (17#'s more than the 450,but lighter than my 530.)--------------------------------Most important is the 450 rides much lighter off road and 16 has kicker backup and oc forks.  
Tame engine -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------450 is snappy
Too soft of suspension-------------------------------------------------------------------------------replace springs

The shorter ratio gears--------------------------------------------------------sprockets
5 speed----------------------------------------------------------------------------16 is 6 speed
Lug ability-------------------------------------------------------------------------not a 500 but F.I. makes it magic
Maintenance queen--------------------------------------------------------------There's only FOUR drain bolts/plugs to change the oil..........hahahhahaaaaaaa

This is why I purchased a 16 450 xc-w last week. Can dualsport it in WA.

Heavy (17#'s more than the 450,but lighter than my 530.)--------------------------------Most important is the 450 rides much lighter off road and 16 has kicker backup and oc forks.

Tame engine -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------450 is snappy

Too soft of suspension-------------------------------------------------------------------------------replace springs

The shorter ratio gears--------------------------------------------------------sprockets

5 speed----------------------------------------------------------------------------16 is 6 speed

Lug ability-------------------------------------------------------------------------not a 500 but F.I. makes it magic

Maintenance queen--------------------------------------------------------------There's only FOUR drain bolts/plugs to change the oil..........hahahhahaaaaaaa

I understand the 450 XC-W and 500 share everything, but the bore. I am talking about the latest 450 XC-F, which is an entire different beast than the XC-W models that are now discontinued. I have thought about going with the '16 500 XC-W, but the '17 EXC-F will have the air fork and will be about 7 lbs lighter than the year prior

• Like 1

I ride in the dessert mostly too, and the 500 is way nicer to ride than a 450....comfort wise, and top end speed too.  Any 500 you will have to re-do the suspension, especially for your weight, but once you do, it is golden.  If you add a rekluse clutch, you now have the technical trail bike that will do it all.  Change the battery to Lipo and lighten it up 4-5 lbs instantly.  I ride my buddies 450's once in a while when we switch bikes out on the trail, and they just don't even come close to the smoothness of the 500 out in the open.  For me.....it's an easy choice, but I rarely ride the super tight technical stuff anymore, and I really don't sweat much anyway......the 500 can go anywhere and over anything.  Can you tell Im a little biased towards my 500? lol.

I understand the 450 XC-W and 500 share everything, but the bore. I am talking about the latest 450 XC-F, which is an entire different beast than the XC-W models that are now discontinued. I have thought about going with the '16 500 XC-W, but the '17 EXC-F will have the air fork and will be about 7 lbs lighter than the year prior

Same bore (95), longer stroke for the 500 (63.4 vs 72). The 2017 exc-f's will have the new Xplor forks vs the sxf's and xcf's will have the AER forks. That said, if I had one bike it would be the 500 for an all around bike.

• Like 1

I have the 2014 500, and I really like the forks, I'm glad they are not going air fork. It's stellar in single track, and very soft for moto but has excellent bottoming resistance given how plush it is. I can definitely see how guys out west or who moto a lot, or ride race pace a lot, would want it stiffer, but as a do everything at "fun pace" bike I think they nailed it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
I personally think you wasted money on the scissor lift, seeing that you can just pick it up and all. [emoji6] Seriously though, congrats on the new bike.  It looks like you have spectacular riding literally in your back yard! 

Thanks, there's excellent riding out here. Best part is nothing is established so you can spend days exploring and find some sweet single track that's only been touched by game or livestock up in the mountains.