2016 KX450F with SFF TAC forks...

How much do you weigh?

Regardless of your weight, I found that the stock valving was very harsh in the mid stroke.  I ran slightly more inner and outer to hold it up and compensated by opening up the clickers to smooth it out.  When mine was stock, I started at 178/10/205 with comp at 8 and it felt pretty harsh.  I ended up at 185/10/215 and 14 out on compression.  That seemed to take away some of the harshness even though the pressures were higher.  Try experimenting with pressures to hold it up more and compensate by opening up the compression some more along with some balance pressure.

Edited by Endoair
  • Like 1

Ok cool I'll do it this weekend and have feedback. I had the 15 as well And was running 170 psi. I find the forks night and day different. The reason I go in with the clickers is the big hit blow through. Like landing on brakes on bumps my hand would come off. I'm 85kgs so I'm a bit heavy thanks for the help

Hey guys. I made the changes. Ran 185 inner. Around 210 balance and 10 outer. Went out on the clickers. I also checked my day and had to loosen to get to 105. Which I thought was off with my weight. When a ride it felt terrible. Bike was way to low at the back and washing everywere! Spring was veetually loose. It tightened it at the track a fair amount and it made the world of difference! So I checked it now and I'm ruining 98mm sag. Any more and pumps my arms and feels Shit. Now the bike is really feeling amazing! Forks are work I g well and I even sped the rebound up and the tracking good on the flat stuff. Now and again they blow through on big bumps. Was thinking of adding 10ml of oil to left chamber to try harden up the stroke. I'm pretty happy with the spring settings. What you guys think of this setup?

Hey guys. I made the changes. Ran 185 inner. Around 210 balance and 10 outer. Went out on the clickers. I also checked my day and had to loosen to get to 105. Which I thought was off with my weight. When a ride it felt terrible. Bike was way to low at the back and washing everywere! Spring was veetually loose. It tightened it at the track a fair amount and it made the world of difference! So I checked it now and I'm ruining 98mm sag. Any more and pumps my arms and feels Shit. Now the bike is really feeling amazing! Forks are work I g well and I even sped the rebound up and the tracking good on the flat stuff. Now and again they blow through on big bumps. Was thinking of adding 10ml of oil to left chamber to try harden up the stroke. I'm pretty happy with the spring settings. What you guys think of this setup?

Sweet, I'm glad you liked those fork settings.  They worked best for me when they were stock but I also experienced the "slap down" on big bumps but never on big landings.  That was the one reason I got a revalve, to fix that feeling.  I'm not sure if more oil will help.  I think more oil just adds to the bottoming resistance.  If you and I were feeling the same thing, I felt it more in the mid stroke.

What is your free sag?  It sounds like you have too heavy of a rear spring in there.  Your free sag should be 35mm +/- 10. 

Free sag is now around 35mm. Did the re valve help a lot? Maybe if I could get hold of the specs I could do mine myself. Here is south Africa very few people know what kind of re valve to do on these forks. I also just watched that shift movie trailer that just came out. It had a close up of Josh Hanson's forks. They said 200 0 200 on the side.

Free sag is now around 35mm. Did the re valve help a lot? Maybe if I could get hold of the specs I could do mine myself. Here is south Africa very few people know what kind of re valve to do on these forks. I also just watched that shift movie trailer that just came out. It had a close up of Josh Hanson's forks. They said 200 0 200 on the side.

Personally, I prefer 104-105.  If I go any tighter, I get a lot of swapping out of the rear end.  I can counter that by backing out on my HS compression but I like to keep my clickers close to the middle.  I also prefer a stiffer spring with less preload to achieve my sag numbers rather than a lighter spring with more preload.  So my sag numbers at the moment are 104/42 with a 5.8.  My free sag is on the outer limits but it feels more predictable than a lighter 5.7 spring with numbers of 104/30.  But as long as your free sag is in range and you like it, I don't see why it wouldn't be ok.  As far as the revalve, it made a big difference with the spike I felt in the mid stroke.  I had Factory Connection do it as they are right up the road from me.  I told them specifically what my complaint was and they nailed it.  I have no idea what the shim stacks look like but even if I did, they used a couple of parts that they manufacture like their BCV Cup kit and a new low speed circuit (or low speed something, I don't remember exactly).  The low speed thing is something they make because I guess the stock one has no metering capability, it's predrilled and non adjustable.  FCs has a small valve stack on their replacement.  Maybe give them a call and see if you can buy a kit from them and install it yourself?

As far as JH's forks, I've tried a setting like that.  The equal pressures with 0 in the outer is popular among the Suzuki guys.  I hated it.  It felt like someone welded my fork tubes so they didn't move.  Then again, If I was as fast as JH and hit some of the booters that he does, I'd probably need them that stiff.  I'm just a lowly ole Vet B guy.

Edited by Endoair

Any problems with blown seals???I blew mine out saturday with only 14hrs on the bike. Im thinking a fluke but will see

I've only ever blown my left seal on these bikes. The normal side. And that was after serious mud riding. So in my experience they really good with that. A million times better than the stupid kyb that you have to stop riding because of a blown seal

Edited by 2ndgearstore

I tried those other setting last Sunday, I did not like them it felt unsettled in ruts and super soft . Less air in the balance chamber will make it stiffer and I think that is the main difference or that I'm running 9 more psi in the outer. Either way for me those setting are really soft feeling and it blows threw the stroke very easy so I felt the front was diving hard when I was braking into a turn.  Let my cousin ride it without even saying I changed it and he noticed the front end was skittish

So I went back to my settings of

185 inner

19 outer

205 balance

106 sag

For me the bike doesn't need a revalve it works really good Ill see how it feels after 25 hours or so.

• Like 1

I'm running:

Forks

180 inner

17 outer

208 balance

12 comp

11 rebound

Shock

12 lc

2 hs

10 rebound

106 sag

Stock valving and I'm 190 lbs, works perfect for me.

• Like 1

So, third ride on the bike this weekend. I think I'm settling at 177 inner, 10 outer, and 207 balance, which feels great and turns on a dime. But, has anyone experience the fork feeling different a couple hours in? My PSF forks always held good all day long. These seem like at about 2 hours in there's more stiction, out of nowhere.

Any problems with blown seals???I blew mine out saturday with only 14hrs on the bike. Im thinking a fluke but will see

blew my 13 kx450 PSF1 fork seals at 10 hours, and my 2016 kx450 SFF TAC seals at 10 hours... Replaced with SKF. Seem to be holding up.

At like 6 hours i was starting to get some weeping/drooling of oil when the bike sat for a day or two, but would go away once ridden. Diddnt notice any dirt or anything in the seal when I replaced them.... I tried cleaning the seals out too with no luck.

Probably best to change the oil around 10 hours anyways, mine was nasty. My shock was nasty at 10 hours to0.

If anyone is interested we make a spring conversion kit been tested for a yr it's easy to install, handles great and very predictable. Email doug_leavitt@hotmail.com

Blasterman88 I am also a 190 lbs rider and I just copied your settings. At the local track yesterday I felt way more confident. I had also just reset my sag after losing 8-10 lbs. Before I was using inner 174 outer 15 bal 203 all stock settings on the clickers and about 104 sag. I was having problems with the forks bottoming and the shock seemed stiff before. Thanks for sharing!

Blasterman88 I am also a 190 lbs rider and I just copied your settings. At the local track yesterday I felt way more confident. I had also just reset my sag after losing 8-10 lbs. Before I was using inner 174 outer 15 bal 203 all stock settings on the clickers and about 104 sag. I was having problems with the forks bottoming and the shock seemed stiff before. Thanks for sharing!

Glad it worked out for you!

blew my 13 kx450 PSF1 fork seals at 10 hours, and my 2016 kx450 SFF TAC seals at 10 hours... Replaced with SKF. Seem to be holding up.

At like 6 hours i was starting to get some weeping/drooling of oil when the bike sat for a day or two, but would go away once ridden. Diddnt notice any dirt or anything in the seal when I replaced them.... I tried cleaning the seals out too with no luck.

Probably best to change the oil around 10 hours anyways, mine was nasty. My shock was nasty at 10 hours to0.

Well found out why my seal blew. I run a o-ring on the fork tube to see how the fork are working on a certain track. Bottoming,Too stiff etc etc. Well somehow i musta cased something or hit hard landing and that o-ring somehow made it past the dust seal and got wedged into the oil seal tearing it. The guy who did my forks said he never seen that happen before. Makes me feel better thou that it wasnt something with the seal itself

Well found out why my seal blew. I run a o-ring on the fork tube to see how the fork are working on a certain track. Bottoming,Too stiff etc etc. Well somehow i musta cased something or hit hard landing and that o-ring somehow made it past the dust seal and got wedged into the oil seal tearing it. The guy who did my forks said he never seen that happen before. Makes me feel better thou that it wasnt something with the seal itself

that is wild!

has anyone any good shim stacks for the forks ? is the 16 stack much different than my 15 shim stack ?

That's crazy and hard to believe, the o-rings I've seen are a like a 1/8" thick.

I have, what I believe is a good fork setting, and it feels great for the first 10 laps or so. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels like it increasingly turns worse and worse as the day goes on.

Edited by XtremeDuners