Laid up _ "almost broke 1 rule"

Hey all, 

Been thinking about this post for a fair while now. On May 15th I received some new gear (boots and chest protector) in the mail. I geared up and drove down to my local xc/mx track to try out my new gear. I did not contact my buddies as as was going for an "easy" ride. VERY luckily there was other riders at the track and two of them took me through a new part of the xc track. I would estimate my skill level at basic to medium as I am just getting back to riding at 46.

The accident: I was in between the two other guys when I came out of a corner and clipped (that's what I tell my wife and friends) I hit a small try tree that stopped the bike dead. I came off the bike and must have placed my left foot down first as it took all the force. I ended up with class VI tibia plateau fracture of my left leg. After 5 weeks I now know this was a pretty serious fracture. I am laid up for the whole summer. No weight bearing for 3 months. Spirits are good and always have a great attitude, thank god for a great family!!!

The IMPORTANT lesson which we all know and I want to re-iterate is under NO reason never ride alone. (Period)

For those concerned...the bike is fine ? . It's driving me crazy that it is dirty and I can't wash it yet ?.

Jeff

in Ontario  

20160519_101636.jpg

• Like 5

lol...you guys are killing me. Trying to make a point to young riders ?. Do you at least tell your spouse where and when you'll be back ?

We are talking about trail riding right ?

I tell her the general area, and a general time but for the most part no. I just ride, many times I'll be 50-70miles from the truck and even farther if in the big dual-sport. If I put too much stress into the "what ifs" I don't pay attention to the "what is". Yes, you can pack tools etc etc but that will only get you so far. Worst case scenario I hike out to the nearest road and start walking. I very rarely carry a phone as cell reception isn't available and I don't carry a map as I have a pretty good sense of my bearings.

• Like 3

I tell her the general area, and a general time but for the most part no. I just ride, many times I'll be 50-70miles from the truck and even farther if in the big dual-sport. If I put too much stress into the "what ifs" I don't pay attention to the "what is". Yes, you can pack tools etc etc but that will only get you so far. Worst case scenario I hike out to the nearest road and start walking. I very rarely carry a phone as cell reception isn't available and I don't carry a map as I have a pretty good sense of my bearings.

Wow, we are just about identical......same mileage approx. and I do tell my wife where I'll be, but it's so vague she would never find me in a million years. My last walk out was 13mi. when I did a get off downhill and slid into a rut and severed the ignition wire. Pushing the beast on flat sandy soil to jump was not happening, so I trudged off. I did take my cell, but like you, no reception where I was, so it was a lesson learned. This was my 1st walk out, I have flatted 2 times before and rode out at 5mph, which quite honestly, walking was better.

I wash my bike down after every ride, mostly to inspect and see what I might have done during the ride. I am very on top of air pressures before leaving, and I have a lot of confidence in my general maintenance, so what happens, happens, and for me, that's what riding is all about. I have ridden with others before, but I do enjoy the by myself experience better. To each his own, just know your limits, ride safe when you're not sure what the trail has to offer, and go fast when you know you can.

• Like 3

Most of my riding is off road and sometimes with other riders on a group ride. Mostly I am alone. I tell my wife where I am headed but it's really of no help. I can easily travel to more than 100 miles out in the middle of nowhere. So being found would be a fluke. So I plan circuitous routes that usually keeps me within safe walking distances...if I can walk. If injured...well that would be another messed up situation.

Heal up and get well soon Cormad. Be sure to do the PT. The muscle loss will be quick and hard to get back. My left leg is smaller than my right because of my shattered foot. Sure the doc put it all back together fine. But the nerve loss is permanent.

• Like 4

Most of my riding is off road and sometimes with other riders on a group ride. Mostly I am alone. I tell my wife where I am headed but it's really of no help. I can easily travel to more than 100 miles out in the middle of nowhere. So being found would be a fluke. So I plan circuitous routes that usually keeps me within safe walking distances...if I can walk. If injured...well that would be another messed up situation.

Heal up and get well soon Cormad. Be sure to do the PT. The muscle loss will be quick and hard to get back. My left leg is smaller than my right because of my shattered foot. Sure the doc put it all back together fine. But the nerve loss is permanent.

Thanks Burn cycle...yup getting mentally ready for all the PT. Sadly I know all about it as I shattered my right knee cap 7 years ago in a dune buggy flip.
  • Like 1

Hey all, 

Been thinking about this post for a fair while now. On May 15th I received some new gear (boots and chest protector) in the mail. I geared up and drove down to my local xc/mx track to try out my new gear. I did not contact my buddies as as was going for an "easy" ride. VERY luckily there was other riders at the track and two of them took me through a new part of the xc track. I would estimate my skill level at basic to medium as I am just getting back to riding at 46.

The accident: I was in between the two other guys when I came out of a corner and clipped (that's what I tell my wife and friends) I hit a small try tree that stopped the bike dead. I came off the bike and must have placed my left foot down first as it took all the force. I ended up with class VI tibia plateau fracture of my left leg. After 5 weeks I now know this was a pretty serious fracture. I am laid up for the whole summer. No weight bearing for 3 months. Spirits are good and always have a great attitude, thank god for a great family!!!

The IMPORTANT lesson which we all know and I want to re-iterate is under NO reason never ride alone. (Period)

For those concerned...the bike is fine ? . It's driving me crazy that it is dirty and I can't wash it yet ?.

Jeff

in Ontario  

thats good advice, i do ride alone in the woods but bring a gun lol, and its the same if youre hiking in the wilderness, you have to be aware that an injury can be life threatening ..  nobody likes to listen to the 'old guy' i know, but riding hard and pushing it, your either going to tear yourself or the bike up and nobody is ever impressed  ..  most people are usually more impressed with mellow riding and a nice kept machine ..

• Like 4

Some how i pictured telling the wife went something like this

https://youtu.be/V1cv-BveHJk

• Like 4

Ok when I read the first post in this thread ....sis just admit the you ride along into the deep dark bowels of North western Ontario and take your lumps from the smarter, seasoned riders on the forum. If I waited for a riding partner... I would not ride very much.....but I do have some rules.

My Wife always knows where I am going and approximate returm time

I keep my bike well maintained (especially my sprockets LOL)

I ride very differently when in remote areas.

Always have a few drinks and snacks along (basic tools)

Have a charged cell with me and send text updates even with no service....they eventually go thru (when you catch a signal)

Take precautions and you know if this is the way it ends for me I can think of a lot worse ways to go (l love riding)

• Like 4

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLizztikRk

But ya. I rode lake Elsinore mx track once alone. Still in high school, got my first truck. Broke my foot by over shooting a triple trying to race some guy who was equal speed as me ha, wasn't bad, I didn't crash. Just over shot it and my foot slipped off and bent all funky. Since all the tracks are 45 mins away I had to call someone to drive all the way out and help load my bike and drive me home. Woulda been fine, but my truck was a manual trans.

I don't have friends who ride. So I'm 100% a loner.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651
  • Like 3

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLizztikRk

But ya. I rode lake Elsinore mx track once alone. Still in high school, got my first truck. Broke my foot by over shooting a triple trying to race some guy who was equal speed as me ha, wasn't bad, I didn't crash. Just over shot it and my foot slipped off and bent all funky. Since all the tracks are 45 mins away I had to call someone to drive all the way out and help load my bike and drive me home. Woulda been fine, but my truck was a manual trans.

I don't have friends who ride. So I'm 100% a loner.

Hahahaha pee wee! That was pure gold my friend!

• Like 1

Ok when I read the first post in this thread ....sis just admit the you ride along into the deep dark bowels of North western Ontario and take your lumps from the smarter, seasoned riders on the forum. If I waited for a riding partner... I would not ride very much.....but I do have some rules.

My Wife always knows where I am going and approximate returm time

I keep my bike well maintained (especially my sprockets LOL)

I ride very differently when in remote areas.

Always have a few drinks and snacks along (basic tools)

Have a charged cell with me and send text updates even with no service....they eventually go thru (when you catch a signal)

Take precautions and you know if this is the way it ends for me I can think of a lot worse ways to go (l love riding)

Wish you a speedy recovery....glad the bike is ok.....miss a few months riding in canada and that is the season....but looking forward to riding again will speed up your recovery, l know from experience. ...good luck and keep us posted

Speedy recovery from me too! I ride solo most of the time, but I always have a means of communication. If I have no service then I adjust where I ride or make sure I am close to the boundary of service. I don't ride aggressive and keep a well stocked tool kit with me. I always let my wife or someone know where I am and when to expect me back and stick to that timeline. I also carry a weapon and wear all of the required gear to ride. Get well soon!

• Like 1

First off...wish you a speedy recovery! And see if you can get your wife to go wash your bike!...that would drive me nuts too! I hate it when Chris doesn't wash ours right away! :D:P All joking aside tho....we do usually ride it just us two. We have other friends that ride dirt only...they aren't tagged for street. Buuuut since we got lost in S Tree a few years ago and almost had to spend the night in the woods...wet from a huge water crossing and no protection at all with us...and we were down to our last water....I always tell my 3 sisters where we are going and when we should be back. We could have left the bikes but let's face it...who wants to leave them...if we are scared outside at night then so are they! LoL

And now we both pack heat and we take extra food and waters.

You guys that wrecked and broke your foot...did you have full MX boots on or what kind of foot protection? See when you think you should be fully protected things can still happen.

Edited by DRZadvKat01
  • Like 2