Dirt-Mink

CB500X talk. New bikes have new questions!

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

In general i was thinking anyone who has a CB500X or NC700X could throw their questions here.

But i have a question of my own. and as time goes on i might throw some more questions in here.

I just got my CB500x on the 25th of June and it had exactly 2088 miles when i pulled off the lot :)

The bike is truly a blast and doesn't get enough credit i believe. some questions have rose up now that I have put 400 miles on it though.

1. I noticed it is quite loud to down shift with this bike when coming to a stop especially going from 2nd to 1st. My "fix" to this is basically shift down each gear then let out the clutch a little to engage then pull in the clutch and shift down again and repeat. And i always try and shift to 1st when under 10 mph. Otherwise it seems to just clunk lol. Is this normal? maybe time for some synthetic? haha not sure if that would help...

2. The dealer i bought it from has no records of the bike, so how do i know if the 600 mile maintenance checkup was done? I will be changing the oil soon for my own peace at mind. But the reason i ask about the 600 checkup is because the valves seem to be making a slight noise. I'm not really losing power or anything but i hear a small amount of clicking going on. How much would i be looking at for a valve check? haha should i get one done to be safe?

Any other questions anyone has ask away and maybe we can help each other! :D

Hey guys,

In general i was thinking anyone who has a CB500X or NC700X could throw their questions here.

But i have a question of my own. and as time goes on i might throw some more questions in here.

I just got my CB500x on the 25th of June and it had exactly 2088 miles when i pulled off the lot :)

The bike is truly a blast and doesn't get enough credit i believe. some questions have rose up now that I have put 400 miles on it though.

1. I noticed it is quite loud to down shift with this bike when coming to a stop especially going from 2nd to 1st. My "fix" to this is basically shift down each gear then let out the clutch a little to engage then pull in the clutch and shift down again and repeat. And i always try and shift to 1st when under 10 mph. Otherwise it seems to just clunk lol. Is this normal? maybe time for some synthetic? haha not sure if that would help...

2. The dealer i bought it from has no records of the bike, so how do i know if the 600 mile maintenance checkup was done? I will be changing the oil soon for my own peace at mind. But the reason i ask about the 600 checkup is because the valves seem to be making a slight noise. I'm not really losing power or anything but i hear a small amount of clicking going on. How much would i be looking at for a valve check? haha should i get one done to be safe?

Any other questions anyone has ask away and maybe we can help each other! :D

I'm not too familiar with your bike, but some bikes have clunky shifting. Sometimes a different oil helps. Stay within the manufacturers specifications.

As for maintenance, I'd get a shop manual and see if I would be comfortable doing the work myself. Part of the motorcycle experience in my opinion.

Enjoy your new to you bike!

I have both 2015 NC700 and a CB500x I am up to the 600 mile mark on the 700 and at 5 miles on the 500. From just the little bit of riding I've done on the 500, it does seem to shift rough unless you are up near the red on the revs!!! Which isn't good for break in period. Although the engines are the same design just different sizes, they are both totally different beasts!! I imagine I am driving a large diesel on the 700 meaning I get to 6th crazy fast however, it has so much torque that at 30mph in 6th it does fine and seems to drive more efficient with its Rpm's very low. While the 500 seems geared more like a street bike efficient at high Rpm's.

I haven't taken the 500 off-road at all and have done very little off-road with the 700. if your looking for something to rip down trails with look elsewhere. Where I live there are some dirt roads and the 700 takes those nicely but me being a heavy rider 230 6'3 the suspension is terrible. I'll post my opinion on the 500 off-road once I take it. Looking at possibly putting a home-made version of rally raid upgrade to the 500 for better off-road handling. Although I haven't found anything for the 700.

1 person likes this

The 600mi valve check is more of emissions related thing in the US, also a cash cow for dealers.  Same exact models in other country's don't require it. Ticking is likely the cam chain making noise, every new bike I've had does it, somewhat normal.