2009 in boxes

I just got myself a new to me 09 in boxes, crank seized up. Now I need a new to rebuild, but can't find one atm I can however find one from an 07, do that fit? When I look thru Honda part numbers it looks like the older oem cranks are superseded with 2010 one.

I just clean all the parts I the oil pump don't look good to me but this is my first Honda :)

I have another 09 that runs great, good bike these :)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467410246.704341.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467410099.445940.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467410114.674683.jpg

The connecting rod on the 09 is slightly shorter I believe than the 02-08 engine. It'll drop into the engine, but the compression height will be wrong. I know the pistons are wrong. The made the 09-15 shorter by a couple mm.

• Like 1

So it might be possible to put a 09 rod on an older crank and it should be good? If the pin is the same size tho..

I live in Europe, here it's, hang on! About 800 USD!

Edit:

Not true what I said its 600 usd here

Edited by RasmusDK

If replacement parts are so expensive in your region, why did you buy a blown up / non-functional bike ?

Even if the initial price was good, it may have been more cost effective in the long run just buying a more expensive but functional bike.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

a lot of  09 - 15 450 parts will swap.

I would not try to mix and match pre fuel injected parts with your 09. 

Almost all the parts are different

• Like 1

Thanks for advice, I have to find one to rebuild that's the cheapest, I can do that for about 225 usd.

How about the oil pump? Is it toast or do they just look like that..

Cheers

I live in Europe, here it's, hang on! About 800 USD!

Edit:

Not true what I said its 600 usd here

how does that work?  theyre all the same price on ebay/tt store/RMATV/ etc.... yours might be $50 more at the most due to shipping...

another reason to never buy locally.

Edited by cdf450

Import taxes play a big role on the final price.

I think it was 'Smez' who posted comparitive prices in England,

most parts were double the price no matter how/where they were ordered from.

Edited by mlatour

It's the oem price, the import taxes are high. If I buy something for 100 usd it ends in 200 usd before I have it in my hands. Not possible to send as gift or something like that either, the only way around it is a bill that says it was cheaper then it actually was.. I've tried this a lot of times before and that's why my question isn't 'where do I buy the cheapest crank for a crf450 from 2009?'

Thanks for advice, I have to find one to rebuild that's the cheapest, I can do that for about 225 usd.

How about the oil pump? Is it toast or do they just look like that..

Cheers

They look like that. When the motor digests the rod bearing. if you can get one I'd recommend replacing it. just because of the work involved to replace it. If you can't get one you'll probably be ok

Maybe I take for granted how easy it is for us to get this stuff in the US

I was going to offer to send you some parts but it looks like that doesn't help.

I have a bunch of new rods, cranks, and pistons left from our days having Honda's

Edited by nesc103y
  • Like 1

It's the oem price, the import taxes are high. If I buy something for 100 usd it ends in 200 usd before I have it in my hands. Not possible to send as gift or something like that either, the only way around it is a bill that says it was cheaper then it actually was.. I've tried this a lot of times before and that's why my question isn't 'where do I buy the cheapest crank for a crf450 from 2009?'

Isn't the EU grand?

I would personally replace that oil pump. It's too important a piece to risk blowing up the engine again. But's that just me.

• Like 2

+1 on a new oil pump,

with the amount of debris in the oil filter, everything 'oil' related has be inspected very closely,

passages flushed and brushed out etc.

Seen it a few times on the forums, someone's newly rebuilt engine seizes because they just

slapped new (expensive) parts together but neglected to flush out the oiling system after a major failure.

Edited by mlatour

Mlatour is right on the money. The other thing that concerns me is the fact that the oil pump uses the aluminum case to form a seal with the pump gear. If the case is worn from metal passing between the outter oil pump gear, you may need to replace that case half. I would be inspecting the oil pump bore very closely for damage on the case.

• Like 1

They look like that. When the motor digests the rod bearing. if you can get one I'd recommend replacing it. just because of the work involved to replace it. If you can't get one you'll probably be ok

Maybe I take for granted how easy it is for us to get this stuff in the US

I was going to offer to send you some parts but it looks like that doesn't help.

I have a bunch of new rods, cranks, and pistons left from our days having Honda's

It's not like that we can't get the spares, but it's just twice the money :)

What an offer! cheers!!