Fuel bladder ideas?

Hello all. Going to be going on my first mini adventure ride on my dual sport klx450. For a couple runs I'd like to have back up gas. I've seen the GL gas bag but its $100ish and I need to buy two cause my wife is riding with me. My favorite idea so far is the Msr dromedary bag. Read about lots of people using them. They're $35 so a lot better. But I found a cheaper canteen bag and wanna get some opinions.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-style-five-quart-collapsible-canteen-reproduction?a=1807816

Its cheap, a good size, has tie downs, puncture resistant, and has a good cap. Problem is I don't know about the rubberized inside and how it will hold up. Any smart people know about this. I may just buy one and test it out.

Last idea, and cheapest, is to use the Starbucks bag(another proven method) and maybe have my wife sew an outer cover for it to help prevent punctures.

Msr is winning idea, its proven, and durable, but still more money. The canteen could have all the pros of the Msr at a cheaper cost but not proven. The starbusks bag is proven, the cheapest, but worry about punctures. I know these two options are proven and used by lots of people so please don't waste my time with nay saying. Just thoughts on the canteen and other ideas to help.

Thanks

Edited by Qubo2408

if nothing else, the cap on the canteen seems like it would be better than the starbucks (though, reports say the cap on the starbucks is really good). I'm with you on the concern about the rubberized nylon though. seems like something that would degrade at least after a lot of use. though, cheap enough to throw away if it starts to get funky.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife and I have used the MSR Dromedary Bags for gas on desert trips with our 310 & 511 Huskies.  The MSR bags worked fine, just keep in mind gas likes to expand when heated by the sun.  You need to stop and let the pressure out of the bags maybe a couple of times before you use the fuel to top off the tanks.  We have Safari tanks on our KTM 690's - I like the dedicated tanks versus the MSR bags.  We've used the bags over 3 or 4 years, so gas does not seem to make the bags deteriorate.

Nice to have another 40 miles or so on both bikes, just dump the gas into the tanks and roll up the MSR bag - all for $45 bucks.  The add on tanks are a Pain in the $$$ to take off and put on.

Edited by RiverRunner
  • Like 1