Upgrade my RMZ 450 or get a new bike?

Hi all. Looking for any insight. I have a 2013 RMZ450 and it's killing me. I ride outdoor mx tracks in CO. I'm debating whether to put the money into suspension, steering stabilizer, triple clamp etc to help or just put that money into a new bike. I like the way the RMZ corners, but it's stiff and sketchy in the high speed choppy stuff. I rode a 2008 CRF 450 and it wasn't nearly as taxing to ride. I'd like to get a bit more stability to add confidence without giving up all the cornering prowess. I was looking at the 2016 KX450F thinking it might have what I'm looking for. I'm an intermediate 165lb rider. What are your opinions?

• Like 1

Hi all. Looking for any insight. I have a 2013 RMZ450 and it's killing me. I ride outdoor mx tracks in CO. I'm debating whether to put the money into suspension, steering stabilizer, triple clamp etc to help or just put that money into a new bike. I like the way the RMZ corners, but it's stiff and sketchy in the high speed choppy stuff. I rode a 2008 CRF 450 and it wasn't nearly as taxing to ride. I'd like to get a bit more stability to add confidence without giving up all the cornering prowess. I was looking at the 2016 KX450F thinking it might have what I'm looking for. I'm an intermediate 165lb rider. What are your opinions?

Have you ever had the suspension revalved? How many hours on the bike? No matter what color you ride it's going to need set-up for you plus your on the lighter side for a 450. My RMZ I run the steering tighter than standard also. It's a great bike!

• Like 1

The RMZ handles way better than the CRF. You are further ahead to make your bike work for you. Nothing against the CRF450, but I feel they ride like a pig.

Have you ever had the suspension revalved? How many hours on the bike? No matter what color you ride it's going to need set-up for you plus your on the lighter side for a 450. My RMZ I run the steering tighter than standard also. It's a great bike!

Thanks for the response. I have about 30 hours on it. No revalve yet. That's one of the first things I was looking into. I'm just afraid that if I spend all that money on upgrades it will just turn it into a KX or CRF or whatever, meaning I should have bought something else to begin with. I've heard of tightening the steering stem nut up a bit. I'll probably give that a try since it's free. Anybody tried the 2016 KX and know how it compares to the RMZ?

Edited by Eldtim

A revalve and spring will not make it handle like a CRF, KXF, YZF or a TC, but it will make it handle like an SX-F maybe...

Seriously, get the suspension done and you will be incredibly happy. Its not going to ruin your cornering ability, its going to enhance it. Its also going to greatly enhance your bikes stability, traction and handling everywhere. You will be wondering why you didnt do that to begin with. Dont spend all of that money on other shit when suspension is the most important piece of the puzzle.

If you go out and buy a new bike you will have the same problem. A new KX isnt going to help you.

Edited by sixOHfour
  • Like 2

I can't believe anyone would look at buying a new bike or complain about a current one without never even setting it up. You don't just hop on any bike and its magic. If a stock bike feels amazing to you, chances are your not a very good rider. Every bike needs set up.

Spend the money to have a good suspension shop build you some suspension that works for you and have them help you dial in the settings. This will change the bike 100%. A newer bike will have the exact same issues, except it will be shinier.

• Like 1

I just bought a 2016 kx 450f and love it, it's fast as hell handles like a Cadillac and suck gas like a thirsty baboon has tons of setting you can play with 3 efi maps soft standard and hard overall a very light and fun bike

I just bought a 2016 kx 450f and love it, it's fast as hell handles like a Cadillac and suck gas like a thirsty baboon has tons of setting you can play with 3 efi maps soft standard and hard overall a very light and fun bike

How's the new KX when it comes to stability and cornering? I've heard that previous years were super stable, but a bit difficult to turn into the corners.

Edited by Eldtim

Cornoring on this new kx is very stable and reflects on how you have your suspension set up and I'm a big guy 6'7 240 pounds I have everything stock on my bike but I mess around with the front suspension and put the right amount of air in the tube and harden the rear helps a lot but the bike straight off the floor will rip your arms off and needs nothing what so ever I'm gonna by graphics and an exhaust system and green hubs that's it

When I lived in CO I rode Watkins and Thundervalley primarily and they tend to have a more open layout than what I have been riding out here. I ride tracks in NW KY now.

Yout questioned seemed to me more of a geomotry issue vs a set up issue. If you are talking about high speed headshake, loosening up the slack angle on an RMZ is going to be a big undertaking. The tracks out here are laid out a lot tighter and I personally have thought about looking at yellow.

In CO I rode green and blue. I still ride blue. Both Wattkins and C470 had super huge high speed berms so I prefered the rear steering character of both bikes where I could just rail. The added benefit is I had no bar shake in top gear as long as I gently raised the forks in the triple clamp vs some of the gigantic steps I have seen others make.

I mean if money is not an issue and you can make the jump ergonomically, go for it. Plus with the Kawi you cam use the handheld map adjuster which for those that don't live in CO, I was drag racing and watched density altitude drop from over 10,000 ft to under 7,000 ft in a couple of hours

Edited by jz125