1997 DR200SE Supermoto / Motard build.

Rear wheel laced up-

Would have mounted it up but im out of duct tape and need a to make a rim strip.

0823160253a_zpswc12ja7b.jpg

Figured while i was at id lace up the 17x5 hoop i picked up for my 450

0822162210_zpsoxkcxprx.jpg

Rear wheel is done- for tires o decided to use last years take offs from my wr since its so late in the season. They have a little tread left and i honestly doubt the 15 or so hp this thing puts out is enough to wear them out in the next 1,000 miles-

With that said the sizes are 120/70/17 on the front and 150/60/17 on the rear-

Im not sure that the 150 is going to work- worse case scenario ill end up having to buy a 130 series to make it fit- im really hoping i can just use ny take offs from the wr to put on this thing every year- would save me alot of money-

Fitting the tire on the newly laced rear wheel

0823162100_zpsbpbjhali.jpg

Checking fitment

0823162123a_zpsrarvo36a.jpg

Well, this obviously isnt going to work without a little bit of modification

0824160033_zpsvxjwio0t.jpg

So,

I went to bed last night after way too many adult beverages sitting and looking at this thing wondering what my next plan of action would be-

I woke up this morning with a clear head that ached like i had been hit in the forehead with an axe-

The chain was scrubbing the tire both high and low on the swinger- as well as coming in contact with the chain guide itself.

I decided to offset the spokes over to the right 2.5 turns in effort to pull the wheel gianing more clearance on the drive side- this netted about 6mm- still not enough- i had room to space the rear sprocket- i found some 2mm thick washers on some spare sprocket bolts i had laying around- still not enough- closer but not enough.

I removed the front sprocket noticing it was concaved in towards the motor- i decided to flip it around, torque it to spec and check for clearance issues- this worked great with no ill effects and netted approximately 3mm more offset-

I ordered a new o-ring chain when i started this build up- its obvious thats never going to fit-

The non oring i have for the dirt setup on my wr was the same size and length so i decided to give it a test fit on the dr-

It still seems to scrub the tire slightly but more so the chain guide now on the outside- i was able to space out the guide approx. 3mm and its about as good as shes gonna get-

0825161748_zpsmenea1gt.jpg

0825161748a_zpsmokdrehn.jpg

Finally got to ride it today- still got a few kinks to work out but it seems like it should be perfect for her.

The chain still slightly scrubs the 150 tire but its very minor-

she should like it

cheers

I hope- i got enough time in this thing lol

Had to do some more tuning today- it was running very lean-

The float height was way out of wack.

After adjusting it she ran pretty good but i still had a flat spot in the upper rpm.

I switched out the main jet from a 127.5 to a 130 and it helped tremendously. I also found that this thing runs better with the air box lid on.

Its running perfect now.

Had to shorten the kickstand a bit-

0827162218_zpsufuwwjyl.jpg

0827162246_zpssct6kr6i.jpg

0827162246a_zps38umo4e0.jpg

I'm sure that corner of the tire has a good 6mm of pure rubber. Not an issue to let the chain wear it down or even razor it off if you're inclined.

Rad build!

Ive been running it so far with no major issues other than some rubber "dust" on the swingarm.

I did manage to break two of the cheap turn signals- they were Chinese ebay junk so i ordered a different set hopefully these will be a little better quality.

Had some issues with the led signals flashing even after i installed an led specific flasher relay. i traced the problem to the turn signal indicator bulb on the dash- for some reason running the incandescent bulb along with the leds was creating a problem- i removed the dash bulb and they work as they're supposed to. At any rate i ordered led indicator lights as well-

The signals i had got with the bike were absolute garbage- i ordered another set and was pretty impressed with the quality for the mere $9 i paid for them. They look 100x better, are brighter and have blue leds on the back sides to use as running lights or you can wire them to flash with the signal also (the route i chose)

0905161012b_zpshe30qb7d.jpg

I took the bike to an exhaust shop in effort to better fit the wr450 exhaust. Its nice and tight now but I wasnt impressed with the job they done.

I would have welded it myself but i didnt feel like buying a $30 spool of stainless mig wire- after paying them $35 and seeing how bad it looks ill probably redo it myself using the fittings they made.

0905161011_zpsfvqefqqy.jpg

Nice job I will definitely use as inspiration for my dr350 build. So if I printed out a pattern on say a sheet of paper could a graphics person use the pattern and make a graphic for , a plastic gas tank

FYI:  Probably too late for this but you can weld stainless steel using normal carbon steel filler rod, it just won't have the stainless properties but it'll be plenty strong.

Nice job I will definitely use as inspiration for my dr350 build. So if I printed out a pattern on say a sheet of paper could a graphics person use the pattern and make a graphic for , a plastic gas tank

Yeah, pretty much any picture

FYI:  Probably too late for this but you can weld stainless steel using normal carbon steel filler rod, it just won't have the stainless properties but it'll be plenty strong.

I have actually been successful welding stainless with just standard mig wire but i was concerned with the welds rusting so i usually have a local guy tig them.

• Like 1

Hey..I enjoyed the thread, thanks for posting! I have the same bike, similar story. Paid 100 for it, some case damage from chain breakage. Dent on the lower side of tank haha. 
I was searching for mods and found the long thread on ADV forums. Someone suggested to try a 132 main with lid off. How do you like the stock springs? 
Cheers

Hey..I enjoyed the thread, thanks for posting! I have the same bike, similar story. Paid 100 for it, some case damage from chain breakage. Dent on the lower side of tank haha. 

I was searching for mods and found the long thread on ADV forums. Someone suggested to try a 132 main with lid off. How do you like the stock springs? 

Cheers

Ive actually been thinking about swapping out the rear shock, i heard somewhere that a sv650 shock will work and has a little better spring rate.