RS Tuning

After an email exchange with Tim at Beta HQ, I was informed the RS did in fact have a different tune compared to an RR. He told me if my bike was being used for off road and closed course competition, I could have my dealer reflash the efi with the stock RR tune.

Seeing that I purchased the 430 RS for off road only, mainly to allow year round riding in CA, I'm really interested in having it reflashed. It worked wonders for my EFI mx bike and street bike.

Just curious has anyone done this on stock exhaust and was it worth while?

For the sake of saying Tim at Beta was great to talk to and responded to my email within the hour. I was very impressed and it definatly gives me confidence that support will be avalible if and when I need it.

• Like 3

My dealer told me a reflash meant a trip to Italy for my ECU.   He said Beta does not provide that tool to dealers.   Just what I was told.....

I have been running my 430rs pretty much only off road and have felt no need to change the tune.   The bike does everything I ask it to...  Y.R.M.V.

That's interesting. I spoke to two beta dealers here in California and was advised Beta required them to have a Beta specific programmer on hand if they were selling or working on bikes. I know for certain Brown's Cycle in Paso Robles has one.

My desire to reflash is mainly to increase the engines ability to spin up quicker and hit a bit harder. I understand the engine's character was specifically designed the way it was to prevent wheel spin and rider fatigue, however the RR was likely made in the same way without being detuned likly for EPA emissions.

I am planning on buying a aftermarket exhaust and it would require the FMF tune. I have spoken to a couple of shops and they will remap if I buy exhaust from them for a $50-75 fee. 

I'll probably just buy the dynojet PCV so I can control my own mapping? I'd still get my ECU reflashed incase the PCV fails.

Edited by djmiranda1

That's interesting. I spoke to two beta dealers here in California and was advised Beta required them to have a Beta specific programmer on hand if they were selling or working on bikes. I know for certain Brown's Cycle in Paso Robles has one.

My desire to reflash is mainly to increase the engines ability to spin up quicker and hit a bit harder. I understand the engine's character was specifically designed the way it was to prevent wheel spin and rider fatigue, however the RR was likely made in the same way without being detuned likly for EPA emissions.

My dealer has one of these tools. With every year coming the less these bikes will be user friendly with FI. EPA here as well in Europe will prevent us from experiencing the full capabilities of the bike.

I am planning on buying a aftermarket exhaust and it would require the FMF tune. I have spoken to a couple of shops and they will remap if I buy exhaust from them for a $50-75 fee. 

I'll probably just buy the dynojet PCV so I can control my own mapping? I'd probably still get my ECU reflashed incase the PCV fails.

You will be waiting for a long time since there are no tuner boxes for Beta's FI. You should be able to run an exhaust without any trouble. Exhaust with intake mods is another story. Also there's no need to stack a reflash with a tuner box if the reflash is done correctly.

Edited by weantright

My dealer has one of these tools. With every year coming the less these bikes will be user friendly with FI. EPA here as well in Europe will prevent us from experiencing the full capabilities of the bike.

You will be waiting for a long time since there are no tuner boxes for Beta's FI. You should be able to run an exhaust without any trouble. Exhaust with intake mods is another story. Also there's no need to stack a reflash with a tuner box if the reflash is done correctly.

I contacted Dynojet and a few weeks ago. They said it would be a couple of months. They already have a spot for it on the site.

As far as stacking the tuner on top of the reflash. If I were to do the PCV it's just what I prefer. It's the way I had my husky done and the way I would probably do my Beta.

Can you run an exhaust without remap? Sure! I wouldn't. Again it's just my preference.

Dyno jet will offer a 'piggy back' tuner that tricks the TPS so the mapping changes.

You get a +/- 5% range of Fuel adjustment in 4 rpm zones, and NO IGNTION mapping changes, which is the most important part....

So you're saying that the PCV does not change ignition timing only fuel? I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Edited by djmiranda1

I was able to advance timing on my14 TE449. From what I'm understanding is, that it's possible that the ignition can be locked and the PCV would only work like a JD tuner?

Husky (Then) was a Mikuni FI system

Husky, KtM, all Jap bikes are now all Keihin

Beta is Synerject

Edited by KRANNIE
  • Like 2

So you are saying we should change engines, not properly tune the A/F ratio on our bikes?

That make sense.

$100 higher MSRP for a 480 makes sense. If you still need more power God help you.

It is part of the transition to FI that how to tune it becomes an issue like jetting used to be. I know it's been a year and I would think it would be a more settled issue, but this is starting to look like a KTM/Husky thread.

I haven't heard of anyone having fueling issues from the new FI? This is about someone "choosing" to have it done to match a new exhaust, understood and logical. I think the system is perfectly capable of adapting to changes to exhaust and probably others as well. That doesn't mean someone couldn't get it on a dyno and wring it's neck and find something more, maybe a tradeoff, maybe not.

Still a headache and apparently a lot of confusion and cash.

For all the threads wondering what bike to choose, I would refer them back to this one on 4t's. Get the big one, just do it, don't be scared.

Edited by Johnny Depp