$100 higher MSRP for a 480 makes sense. If you still need more power God help you.

It is part of the transition to FI that how to tune it becomes an issue like jetting used to be. I know it's been a year and I would think it would be a more settled issue, but this is starting to look like a KTM/Husky thread.

I haven't heard of anyone having fueling issues from the new FI? This is about someone "choosing" to have it done to match a new exhaust, understood and logical. I think the system is perfectly capable of adapting to changes to exhaust and probably others as well. That doesn't mean someone couldn't get it on a dyno and wring it's neck and find something more, maybe a tradeoff, maybe not.

Still a headache and apparently a lot of confusion and cash.

For all the threads wondering what bike to choose, I would refer them back to this one on 4t's. Get the big one, just do it, don't be scared.

You really need to do some reading about how dirt bike FI systems work.

They are not closed loop so they cannot make any adjustments to the FI ratio other than to compensate for air density and temprature.

So if you change your exhaust system and the CFM flow changes, you MUST re-map the FI to match it.

If you want to change the throttle response based on throttle opening, you must re-map.

If you want to change the deceleration braking, you must repmap.

If you want to create a 'hit' in the power, so rear wheel steering can be acomplished without clutching, you need to re-map.

If you want to create more overev so you don't have to shift as often, you need to re-map.

The bigger 480 motor is not about more power, it's about a wider powerband and less hit.

The differences between all the motors is not overwhelming at all, and some might even say it is subtle.

If you are riding deep sand or long steep hills, and you are over 225lbs, the stock power from the 480RR is not  agressive enough.

More would be so much better, and that is a major reason why GNCC style racers use track bikes instead of enduro bikes....for the extra power needed in long wot situations.

• Like 1

for me, remapping isn't about more power. It's about the engine running smoother, cooler and without flame outs. especially in California where the smog regs are a bitch.

• Like 3

I'm on board with both Krannie and randysoo. Coming from an mx background I'm used to a little harder initial power delivery and quicker response would really help for the type of riding I'm doing.

As stated I understand the magic behind the beta power delivery but I bought the bike for gncc and cross county enduro and a little more power is always nice.

A remap helped clean up several of my bikes in the past making them run smoother and more efficient even when I didn't think it would have been possible a la BMW S1000rr. As for my Ducati that thing was all but unridable in the low rpm's until an exhaust change and remap.

I'm going to first remap to the RR tune on stock exhaust within a couple weeks and report back. Knowing me I'll upgrade the exhaust likly to the FMF system remap again and see how things play out.

I don't think BETA should tailor thier bikes to 'racers' unless it is a 'race' edition, for real.

The RR and RS should, in my opinion, should not have their power altered at all, because as they sit, they are really, really easy to ride, and still go fast (enough).

It's the Experts and Pro's that would need a level up in power, or not, depending on the type of racing...hence a 'real' RRRE 'expert' option would be nice.

• Like 2

Shortly after being married, (when I told my wife I was an ex rider) I tried to sneak back into riding by getting a KLR, just a harmless dual sport :ride:

Well it progressed into Enduro's, and she got stuck in a RV for a 8 hr. drive with a few riders. She determined after that trip, that we all endlessly talked about this mythical thing called a "powerband" and yet not one of our bikes had such an actual part. She determined it was all blah, blah, blah, in spite of each of us arguing our position vehemently.

Things haven't changed much over the decades. 

Shortly after being married, (when I told my wife I was an ex rider) I tried to sneak back into riding by getting a KLR, just a harmless dual sport :ride:

Well it progressed into Enduro's, and she got stuck in a RV for a 8 hr. drive with a few riders. She determined after that trip, that we all endlessly talked about this mythical thing called a "powerband" and yet not one of our bikes had such an actual part. She determined it was all blah, blah, blah, in spite of each of us arguing our position vehemently.

Things haven't changed much over the decades. 

Again, I have no idea what you are saying, who you are talking too, and what your point is.

The only thing I can assume is that English is a second language, or that you have vision problems.

Sorry.

• Like 1

The point, is that there are many different opinions on power delivery.

I would however venture an opinion that a 480 would out motor a 430 up a hill, and a 430 would out motor a 390 up a hill, and a 390 would out motor a 350 and so on, and so on.

It's great they make so many models for everyone, and I hope they make more. I just think many would be better served buying bigger to begin with, rather than tuning after the fact for more juice. 

I am all for an RRRE model of bikes. And I am fine with the current power profiles Beta uses and think it would be a mistake to deviate from them.

That is not the post I was referring to. I was remarking on your comment about 480's being too soft for your taste. (although you had mentioned buying a bigger piston etc. at one time)

This thread is now sidetracked too much when what FI riders want to know is how to tune their bikes. 

Somehow this became a lesson in how to build a watch, instead of what time it is.

Edited by Johnny Depp

Here's an interesting post from Vitalmx about Roczen's Championship leading Suzuki's engine tuning I thought some might find interesting.

7/17/2016 6:47 AM

Suspension aside, KR's Zook definitely has the motor department squared away. The bike sounds like RV's Kawi's did a few years ago. Lots of low rpm grunt and torque. The smoothness of the power doesn't upset the chassis and it looks like he can torque around the track, much like RV used to do. Meanwhile Tomac seems to be much higher in the rpm and the bike dances more.

It seems the prevailing "wisdom" is that race bikes need a hit. Yet some of the top riders in the sport try to tune (and gear) it out.  Just sayin..

Edited by Johnny Depp

The point, is that there are many different opinions on power delivery.

I would however venture an opinion that a 480 would out motor a 430 up a hill, and a 430 would out motor a 390 up a hill, and a 390 would out motor a 350 and so on, and so on.

It's great they make so many models for everyone, and I hope they make more. I just think many would be better served buying bigger to begin with, rather than tuning after the fact for more juice. 

I am all for an RRRE model of bikes. And I am fine with the current power profiles Beta uses and think it would be a mistake to deviate from them.

That is not the post I was referring to. I was remarking on your comment about 480's being too soft for your taste. (although you had mentioned buying a bigger piston etc. at one time)

This thread is now sidetracked too much when what FI riders want to know is how to tune their bikes. 

Somehow this became a lesson in how to build a watch, instead of what time it is.

For me the 350 would motor me up the hill better with less energy. Then the 390, 430 and lastly 480. Bigger motor isn't always better, all depends on rider and terrain.

It makes one wonder what you could do with a 125 🤣

"for me" is the key here.  There is no replacement for displacement. I don't buy that a higher revving "powerband" with more hit will get me up a hill better with a smaller engine.

If you do, that is why they make so many models. 

Hence the mythical never ending powerband discussion with no correct answer, only opinions.

I know I sure got tired of helping my 350 KTM riding partner back down hills he only made halfway up when my 480 chugged right up them.

Edited by Johnny Depp

5-Cents  🙄

I sense some of the faithful here believe that cc's are the end-all and there is no replacement for displacement Blah blah blah. Yeah, fun statements ones that I've used many times over the years and in some forms of off-road riding is kinda true. But to tweak our light(er) displacement bikes to perform in those unique areas is vital to us.

To seemingly scoff other members thoughts of tuning a 350 or 390 or 430 displacement Beta's as they should just buy a 480 and forget it, is kinda a joke. "We" or many of us have always tuned our Enduro bikes to provide a little snappier mid-range or cleaner off the bottom-end or a better transition onto the top-end is what "we" many Enduro riders do and have done for years. :rant:

This tuning in years past included carb mods/air-box mods/pipes/porting/pistons/gearing etc. etc. etc. why then should we NOT do it to the more modern FI'ed bikes? There's no Fricking reason why NOT to.. :ride:

We all ride in different area's/conditions with different levels of expectations of our rides, so fine tuning our bikes for their intended purposes is vital to many of us, and some, not so much.

For instance 50% of my trails are very similar to EnduroCross tracks throughout the USA, so I need a smaller, more agile feeling Beta, a 480 would be a joke, not that it Couldn't work, but why beat yourself to death riding an open class bike on washed out dear-trails? Yet if I was living out in the more open parts of the country, then yes, I would most likely look very closely at the larger displacement Beta's. 

But honestly if the was no replacement for displacement why are they NOT using 480's in the Transworld Motocross / EnduroCross series here in the states????? Take a look at their rule book, as I read that there is NO displacement limits in this fantastic form of off-road racing that I travel many hours to spectate at here in the western USA, just wheelbase and noise requirements for the most part... 

In the mean time I'll continue weekly to add $$$ to my kitty for my new 390 RR-S Hopefully arriving before Christmas, yeah Baby!!!  😛

• Like 2

Mark, we were talking specifically hill climbing, not trail riding or racing.

Why would I have any problem with anyone tuning the bike to their desires? It's what gearheads do. Yet so many are convinced to buy the smaller engine and then upgrade the engine. I just don't think that's a good choice. To each his own.

And unless you've ridden a 480 in the trails, you wouldn't know if they help or hinder. I have, and I believe it is awesome.

And great choice on the 390. I think it will be the ultimate trail bike, with power as smooth as a Cadillac. It is likely to have less hit or spin up than all the others, so Beta's best trait x 2!

On 7/20/2016 at 3:59 PM, Enforcer16 said:

I'm on board with both Krannie and randysoo. Coming from an mx background I'm used to a little harder initial power delivery and quicker response would really help for the type of riding I'm doing.

As stated I understand the magic behind the beta power delivery but I bought the bike for gncc and cross county enduro and a little more power is always nice.

A remap helped clean up several of my bikes in the past making them run smoother and more efficient even when I didn't think it would have been possible a la BMW S1000rr. As for my Ducati that thing was all but unridable in the low rpm's until an exhaust change and remap.

I'm going to first remap to the RR tune on stock exhaust within a couple weeks and report back. Knowing me I'll upgrade the exhaust likly to the FMF system remap again and see how things play out.

How do I get this FMF remap? My dealer is telling me they dont have, cant do, or dont know of any FMF remap for my 2019 Race Edition 430. Basically saying they dont have access due to emissions. Please help, currently running FMF pipe and silencer with stock map. 

6 hours ago, Graham Farmer said:

How do I get this FMF remap? My dealer is telling me they dont have, cant do, or dont know of any FMF remap for my 2019 Race Edition 430. Basically saying they dont have access due to emissions. Please help, currently running FMF pipe and silencer with stock map

Talk to another dealer

• Like 1