2013 XCW300 Consuming Transmission Fluid/Smoking a lot . Trouble Shooting

The last couple rides my bike 2013 XC-W300 has been running rich / smoking more than usual . Today I drained out 320cc from the gear box , I always measure 700cc when filling. I normally don't measure what I drain but I could tell not enough dumped. The oil I drained did not smell like fuel but as it should and was fairly clean with very little metal on the drain plug magnet . I'm the original owner and keep my bike serviced very well . Recently I got fed up with jetting my stock carb and bought an Electron carb (installed today and tested , much better but still smokes a lot...lol)..... I have been running 60:1 MotorX and 91 pump gas from day 1....Thanks for your comments in advance!

You have a leaking crank seal which is why you're had jetting issues, a lectron carb isn't going to fix the seal issue. At a minimum you need to replace the crank seal, sometimes the seal leaks because the bearing is bad and the wobble creates a seal issue.

You should pull the inner and outer clutch covers, not sure if you have to remove tyre basket but not a bad idea to inspect it ask while in there.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of what you need to replace, the seal on the right side.  Also, replace the collar with the seal.  Reusing the used collar with grooves in it is useless.

IMG_20131004_192157_zpsf566efa3.jpg

As the others mentioned you may have bad crank bearings as well, but you can check this seal pretty easily.

Edited by MotoX178
  • Like 1

Quick question, how often were you swapping gear oil? How long did it take to burn half the fluid?

the bike was new I changed it every ride or every other ride with 15-50 MotorX as the maintenance book recommended, never did I go over 10 hrs on the trany fluid . Only recently (last 3 changes did I switch to 80w maxima. I'm fairly easy on my clutch and gears so the oil always came out looking pretty good , even the oil that was left this last time. I do have 2 KOM races on this bike and mostly trail ride . I did get this bike pretty hot back in 2014 . Bike probably has about 100hrs on it . But to answer how long I went on the previous gear oil about 10-12 hrs

the bike was new I changed it every ride or every other ride with 15-50 MotorX as the maintenance book recommended, never did I go over 10 hrs on the trany fluid . Only recently (last 3 changes did I switch to 80w maxima. I'm fairly easy on my clutch and gears so the oil always came out looking pretty good , even the oil that was left this last time. I do have 2 KOM races on this bike and mostly trail ride . I did get this bike pretty hot back in 2014 . Bike probably has about 100hrs on it . But to answer how long I went on the previous gear oil about 10-12 hrs

You are wasting your money putting new oil with only 10 hours, it is a 2 strokes, not a 4 strokes.

Being said that, i agree with the previous answers.

Mine has 700h (yes, 700h, 2013) and no leaks, changing the oil with 60-80 hours (castrol gear oil) of single track mid level.

• Like 1

You are wasting your money putting new oil with only 10 hours, it is a 2 strokes, not a 4 strokes.

Being said that, i agree with the previous answers.

Mine has 700h (yes, 700h, 2013) and no leaks, changing the oil with 60-80 hours (castrol gear oil) of single track mid level.

I think my problem started when the crank bearings started getting out of spec. I've pulled the crank gear and there is play front to forward play and side to side , with and whiteout crank gear.