2004 dodge 2500 axel shaft

*app is not letting me post this in the truck trailer section, could a mod move please*

While removing wheel joints I think I bent the axel yoke a bit. I used a c clamp style ball joint press to remove the joint.

It was hard to get the joint between the two halves of the yoke. It needed a slight love tap. Then on one cap I could not get the clip to positively engage all the way around. I ran out of time and had to put it back together. I have put about 40 miles on it and everything looks OK so far.

My theory is to run it till it pukes. With the bore on the yoke not true it should eat the needle bearings pretty quick I would assume.

Anyone know a place where I can get an axel shaft for cheap. EBay had some that were either complete and rebuilt or the bores looked really bad.

Ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

Virtually ever larger city has driveline rebuilders that can quickly repair it at minimal cost.

I only have one vehicle :(

I'm assuming it's a 4wd. You don't need the axle shafts to drive the vehicle since they're on the front.

I can just leave it out? I figured I would contaminate the gear oil. Would taking it out and driving around for a few weeks do anything bad to the center section? I really don't know much about axels.

You need to cover the differential to prevent dirt and stuff from getting in while your shaft is repaired. Once you reinstall the shaft you should go ahead and change the gear lube anyway. 

If you have any doubts I'll bet you have a knowledgeable friend that can help you.  :)

I may just buy the new one. Seems like a pretty safe bet.

Most my friend take their trucks to a shop to avoid this stuff. I do have some people I can call. Thanks .

I may just buy the new one. Seems like a pretty safe bet.

Most my friend take their trucks to a shop to avoid this stuff. I do have some people I can call. Thanks .

You can buy the axle, u-joint, and stub already assembled from NAPA.  I ran into the same exact scenario as you.  I hashed everything up because it was so rusted.  

I can just leave it out? I figured I would contaminate the gear oil. Would taking it out and driving around for a few weeks do anything bad to the center section? I really don't know much about axels.

Just so you are aware the outer axle stub shaft holds the wheel bearing together.  Leaving that out can cause catastrophic failure of the bearing and more.

• Like 1

Just so you are aware the outer axle stub shaft holds the wheel bearing together. Leaving that out can cause catastrophic failure of the bearing and more.

I think I am just going to buy a new inner and ujoint. Chalk it up to a learning experience. I have used the ball joint press before with no issues. I guess when you put a 4 foot cheater on its time to re-evaluate the situation.