Honest Review- 2017 300XC

Rode my sea level setting at 4500-5600' elevation this weekend. It was a tad rich but I didn't even bother with turning the air screw. The bike ripped.

I rode a 17 300xc back to back with my 17 tx300, and I am not lying when I say I was able to pull a gear higher out of almost everything.

The ktm had a JD kit, and while it ran crisper it lacked a lot of the bottom end power that mine had. I don't necessarily attribute this to the jetting alone. I really think giving more air to the airbox and filing the slide, and maybe even sanding the reed cage, was what made the difference. I don't know. But I gave the bike a lot more air and a lot more fuel, and the bike rips. Fuel mileage looked about dead even with the ktm on the 52 mile ride, the fuel is about halfway down the tank (a bit less than a half tank left). I won't know mileage until I fill up again.

Ran across a guy on the weekend fiddling with the carb on his 17 300 exc. From what he told me about being unable to keep the bike properly jetted throughout daily temp variations and minor altitude variations my first thought was,  too rich a slide cutaway. Good for you for having the cojones to undertake a remedy that would frighten 99% of the people off.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

Yep the bike is called soft on the bottom. Funny thing it does not stall. And actually tractors out of the bottom great. It's a nice balance in my opinion. It makes the bike hook up and go forward instead breaking the wheel loose and we'll know not going forward.

I agree.  First thing I noticed on my buds 17 was it was slow to rev right off the bottom, but seemed impossible to stall.  

Ran across a guy on the weekend fiddling with the carb on his 17 300 exc. From what he told me about being unable to keep the bike properly jetted throughout daily temp variations and minor altitude variations my first thought was,  too rich a slide cutaway. Good for you for having the cojones to undertake a remedy that would frighten 99% of the people off.

they are identical motors. tuning will be the only difference.

they are identical motors. tuning will be the only difference.

. Except for the counterbalancer. Maybe that could cause slightly slower rev.

Get a Scott's steering damper... It makes the bike handle much easier and geeks like you are cheating on sand. I have a 2017 300 xc and the reed broke off into engine. You need to check and verify they installed the reeds properly and that there is no gaps. Talked to boyesen engineer and they are well aware of a reed issue with this bike and already have a mono reed replacement for it.

• Like 1

. Except for the counterbalancer. Maybe that could cause slightly slower rev.

The '17 300 EXC and the '17 TX 300 both have a couterbalancer.

What are the symptoms of the reeds not fully closing. Buds tx has a little hitch in the bottom.

What are the symptoms of the reeds not fully closing. Buds tx has a little hitch in the bottom.

rich bottom, The Mukuni card is far more temperamental than the older carbs IMO. jet it with 43/73 @ #2 position, 30 pilot and 420 main.then see if she clean

rich bottom, The Mukuni card is far more temperamental than the older carbs IMO. jet it with 43/73 @ #2 position, 30 pilot and 420 main.then see if she clean

He has the lectron on it now. Never even tried the mikuni.

Try richening the Metering rod up a little bit. I put a vent in my airbox for more air and ended up 1.5 turns richer on the rod and then it came alive.