2017 Husqvarna FX350 or FE350

I'm set on a 2017 Husqvarna 350 four stroke. But I can't decide between the FX or the FE model. I do 99% enduro (1% cross). I was leaning towards the FE but it is almost 7 kg heavier than the FX. So I'm thinking about getting the FX and slap on a LED light and maybe a skid plate. Is there another reason why the FE is more for "enduro"? 

Be cautious as the stator output on the FX is just strong enough for charging the battery and running the FI. Other may disagree, a rewound stator is a must for any real lighting. FX is a different package then the FE. FE has the "enduro" motor while the FX is the racier MX platform. FX has TC, map switch and AIR forks. FE is DOT approved and will need a remap for full power along with tires and DOT items removed,,, well for the states.

• Like 1

Be cautious as the stator output on the FX is just strong enough for charging the battery and running the FI. Other may disagree, a rewound stator is a must for any real lighting. FX is a different package then the FE. FE has the "enduro" motor while the FX is the racier MX platform. FX has TC, map switch and AIR forks. FE is DOT approved and will need a remap for full power along with tires and DOT items removed,,, well for the states.

The FE has TC and map switch too. Is the air fork a disadvantage for enduro riding? I will install LED lights so they will have less impact on the battery, also I will only use it if I get lost in the woods during night.

What I'm really wondering about is how the power is delivered. Which bike has the most low end grunt and is less prone to stall?

The FE has TC and map switch too. Is the air fork a disadvantage for enduro riding? I will install LED lights so they will have less impact on the battery, also I will only use it if I get lost in the woods during night.

From everything I seen FE does not have a TC or map switch. This is where the model release was very misleading as they talked about "enduro" line, new frame, air fork new motor, TC and map switch. Never saying "FX" and using a bike with graphics showing FE. Here in the states FX is very different and the FX only calls out the map/C on the web page.

LED's don't take much power but still uses power. It's your choice when to use the light and if you have never leave it on.

• Like 1

Being street legal in the US, I highly doubt the FE will come with the TC. The map should be locked therefore not allowing any manipulation.

I'm set on a 2017 Husqvarna 350 four stroke. But I can't decide between the FX or the FE model. I do 99% enduro (1% cross). I was leaning towards the FE but it is almost 7 kg heavier than the FX. So I'm thinking about getting the FX and slap on a LED light and maybe a skid plate. Is there another reason why the FE is more for "enduro"? 

The FX is the FC with 6spd trans, diff map, diff suspension valving. Its a mx bike set up for the woods from the factory. The FE is a purpose built trail bike. It has a less aggressive motor, softer suspension, different frame. Thats what the main differences are on paper.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride an FX yet and who knows if I will anytime soon. Based on a couple initial reviews, it seems like the FX is an incredible bike but I'm going to wait for some more reviews before I go trade in my 2016 FE. From what I’ve read, it seems like this bike is where its at if you don’t need a green tagged bike. On the extremes… with the “wild” map, tc off and some clicker fussing it should be enjoyable for casual mx use. On the flip side of the coin, “mild map” with tc on and some clicker fussing it should be tame enough for slow tech trails without beating you up too much and deflecting all over. Then right in the middle, you have a couple options for "normal" enduro/trail riding. 

Someone said that the stock stator won't be able to handle lights but thats NBD if you ask me. 

If I was ready to pull the trigger and buy right now, I’d be looking very hard at the FX…

Let us know what you end up with! 

From everything I seen FE does not have a TC or map switch. This is where the model release was very misleading as they talked about "enduro" line, new frame, air fork new motor, TC and map switch. Never saying "FX" and using a bike with graphics showing FE. Here in the states FX is very different and the FX only calls out the map/C on the web page.

LED's don't take much power but still uses power. It's your choice when to use the light and if you have never leave it on.

Being street legal in the US, I highly doubt the FE will come with the TC. The map should be locked therefore not allowing any manipulation.

You need to figure out what country model the info youre reading is referring to. Gotta find the US model specific stuff. 

US FE models don't come with a map switch or tc and the ecu is locked down to comply with US emissions and safety standards which allow for the green tag.

Same reasons why the 16 FE models didn’t come with the map switch.

You’ll need to flash the Euro base map onto the ecu and then buy something like the sicass racing switch to change ignition maps. With the addition of the gear sensor, it opens up some pretty awesome possibilities for tuning by gear.

I’m not sure if the FE ecu has provisions for TC. I doubt it but if it does, you’ll probably need a number of OEM parts from an FX to make it work. 

I would also recommend re winding your stator or getting a new one if you plan on installing anything that draws any power. On a carb'd bike I'd say F it but on EFI I wouldn't take the chance.

Edited by SenorThumpy
  • Like 1

The FX is the FC with 6spd trans, diff map, diff suspension valving. Its a mx bike set up for the woods from the factory. The FE is a purpose built trail bike. It has a less aggressive motor, softer suspension, different frame. Thats what the main differences are on paper.

I haven't had the opportunity to ride an FX yet and who knows if I will anytime soon. Based on a couple initial reviews, it seems like the FX is an incredible bike but I'm going to wait for some more reviews before I go trade in my 2016 FE. From what I’ve read, it seems like this bike is where its at if you don’t need a green tagged bike. On the extremes… with the “wild” map, tc off and some clicker fussing it should be enjoyable for casual mx use. On the flip side of the coin, “mild map” with tc on and some clicker fussing it should be tame enough for slow tech trails without beating you up too much and deflecting all over. Then right in the middle, you have a couple options for "normal" enduro/trail riding. 

Someone said that the stock stator won't be able to handle lights but thats NBD if you ask me. 

If I was ready to pull the trigger and buy right now, I’d be looking very hard at the FX…

I rode an almost FX (XCF) last fall and the frame is very good. While I didn't care for any of the 350's (XCF-W the worst) the 250XCF was near perfect for a woods/endure bike for my type of riding. Just wished it had a lower seat height and a larger output stator or in an FE light set-up.

Thanks for the input, you reassured my doubts. I'm gonna go for the FX, they will arrive in August. If I don't like it I'll trade it for a FE.

• Like 1

What happens if you blow a seal 15 miles into a ride on those AER forks?

I'd be opting for the FE; on the fly adjustments to the Xplor forks for different riding conditions, vice carrying/pulling out an air device to make adjustments.

Edited by Individual1

What happens if you blow a seal 15 miles into a ride on those AER forks?

I'd be opting for the FE; on the fly adjustments to the Xplor forks for different riding conditions, vice carrying/pulling out an air device to make adjustments.

The seal is internal so it would be the equivalent of breaking a spring...wouldnt matter of it was a airfork or spring, the ride would suck... Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

Be cautious as the stator output on the FX is just strong enough for charging the battery and running the FI. Other may disagree, a rewound stator is a must for any real lighting. FX is a different package then the FE. FE has the "enduro" motor while the FX is the racier MX platform. FX has TC, map switch and AIR forks. FE is DOT approved and will need a remap for full power along with tires and DOT items removed,,, well for the states.

You are correct regarding the stator, only something like 25w are available. You can buy an aftermarket unit which bumps it up to 100w+ but that will cost you around $3-500...

The seal is internal so it would be the equivalent of breaking a spring...wouldnt matter of it was a airfork or spring, the ride would suck...

Any thoughts on the adjustability or you're pro AER over the Xplor?

No idea. I'm 'pro' whatever works. I think the xplorer is just rebranded 4cs...

Gotcha. Honda went back to non air forks this year on their 450 R and RX.

No idea. I'm 'pro' whatever works. I think the xplorer is just rebranded 4cs...

I think air is lighter and cheaper, but logically I dont THINK they're better than springs. I'm skeptical and interested in how they are after the numbers gets ahold of them.

You are correct regarding the stator, only something like 25w are available. You can buy an aftermarket unit which bumps it up to 100w+ but that will cost you around $3-500...

As of today only a rewind is available. I have heard you can use an XCW with the XCW cover but have not see first hand.