dLeo

new 2016 enduro R eating oil like a pig

Hey guys, so I got 3500km on my 2016 enduro (purchased new) and I just had to fill it AGAIN with oil for the third time!!! The first fill was almost 1litre at 750km (before first service), then the first service at 1500km which they drained/filled it and then I randomly checked the other day at 3500km and it was almost bone-dry, again (added another litre)!!!??? I called the dealer each time and they can't figure out what's going on. They said during the first service everything looked good and chalked the first drink to a fluke but there's still no answer as to why I had to top it off again. There doesn't seem to be any smoke indicating that it's burning oil but my dad did notice there was some residue inside the opening on the can. I'm going to give it another few hundred km's to see where this new batch goes as my dad mentioned the rings might still be working in but if it continues to keep going through oil I'm obviously going to bring it in to the dealer. Any ideas???   

Excellent redirect JR73 – very helpful. Weird that KTM won't tinker with anything via warranty until 4K miles. Until the 4K it seems like they just keep track of this issue to see if it continues. Another poster on that thread made an excellent point that there's many riders that won't even make 4K on the bike in a year – hence they'd be screwed on warranty work. Also of note, my air box looks good. In terms of filling the oil, I just keep pouring it in until it registers slightly over the mid-point on the glass. Then once the engine is at running temp it'll be about 3/4 in the glass. As I mentioned, both times I've had to fill it on my own (outside of the first service) the thing was so bone dry that I had to tilt the bike to ridiculous angles to get anything to show in the glass. Thanks for the replies guys!

Im right there with you. I add oil after every ride. 1300 miles and has not slowed down at all. has used oil from day one.

there are some 690 that got lucky and don't use any. buy most do and you will learn to live with it or sell it.

if I go on a ride longer that 100 miles in one day. I have to add oil. this reminds me of the 08 09 klr 650s oil use age problems.

Edited by ripping r

The problem is the rings were never seated correctly. This has happened to several new 690's. Most people baby the motor too much during break in. Couple that with the full synthetic oil and you see where its going. I'm not saying you need to red line it as soon as you get it but you need to load the motor during the early stages to seat the piston and rings in correctly. Once your situation occurs the only fix is a new top end and cylinder.

• Like 3

The problem is the rings were never seated correctly. This has happened to several new 690's. Most people baby the motor too much during break in. Couple that with the full synthetic oil and you see where its going. I'm not saying you need to red line it as soon as you get it but you need to load the motor during the early stages to seat the piston and rings in correctly. Once your situation occurs the only fix is a new top end and cylinder.

I here this so much. you do know every engine is run at the factory. than the dealer puts a few miles or most do. the rings are seated in the first few minutes of running not 100s of miles.  so if its the rings its all on ktm.

Edited by ripping r

I here this so much. you do know every engine is run at the factory. than the dealer puts a few miles or most do. the rings are seated in the first few minutes of running not 100s of miles.  so if its the rings its all on ktm.

An engine cannot be properly seated in the first few minutes. No engine on God's green earth can. There are numerous people on this forum and other forums that have spoken to dealers about the issue and its as I described. Where do you think the oil is going, friend? It's being burned because the rings are not seated to the cylinder properly. There is a reason why you hear it so much. Because its a fact.

I am a previous owner of a new 2013 690 as well as many more. The only way to properly assure yourself that its seated correctly is under load. And, no. The factory, nor the dealer rides your bike for a few miles. No one rides it. Its not a car, its a bike. The factory simply starts it up and does numerous engine checks. The dealer assembles your bike and starts it up. Checks all functions.

Edited by burmbuster
  • Like 2

An engine cannot be properly seated in the first few minutes. No engine on God's green earth can. There are numerous people on this forum and other forums that have spoken to dealers about the issue and its as I described. Where do you think the oil is going, friend? It's being burned because the rings are not seated to the cylinder properly. There is a reason why you hear it so much. Because its a fact.

I am a previous owner of a new 2013 690 as well as many more. The only way to properly assure yourself that its seated correctly is under load. And, no. The factory, nor the dealer rides your bike for a few miles. No one rides it. Its not a car, its a bike. The factory simply starts it up and does numerous engine checks. The dealer assembles your bike and starts it up. Checks all functions.

I did not say the hole engine just the rings. all the dealers I have dealt with do ride the bike after assemble mine had 3 miles on it. I have no idea how its being burned valve seals, rings, valve it self. I don't care really. my drz used oil to. in a year or two ill have a new bike and it wont be a ktm.

I did not say the hole engine just the rings. all the dealers I have dealt with do ride the bike after assemble mine had 3 miles on it. I have no idea how its being burned valve seals, rings, valve it self. I don't care really. my drz used oil to. in a year or two ill have a new bike and it wont be a ktm.

Never the less, the rings and cylinder cannot be seated in a few miles. And thats the most important part of the break in. Good luck on the next bike. Try breaking in the next one a little more robustly. 

Never the less, the rings and cylinder cannot be seated in a few miles. And thats the most important part of the break in. Good luck on the next bike. Try breaking in the next one a little more robustly. 

you really have no idea what you are talking about. more robustly. you have no idea how I broke it in. ever here of motorman brake in? google it you'll learn something.

you really have no idea what you are talking about. more robustly. you have no idea how I broke it in. ever here of motorman brake in? google it you'll learn something.

LOL. Says the guy who thinks a motor can be seated in within a few miles. LMAO. I have been breaking in new bikes for decades, kid. I just know what the problem is as its well known. KTM makes a great bike. But its not for noobs. Thats for sure.

• Like 3

LOL. Says the guy who thinks a motor can be seated in within a few miles. LMAO. I have been breaking in new bikes for decades, kid. I just know what the problem is as its well known. KTM makes a great bike. But its not for noobs. Thats for sure.

noob funny. this is the great thing about the internet everyone knows everything. lol

• Like 1

noob funny. this is the great thing about the internet everyone knows everything. lol

And then again, some post when they know nothing at all.

Easy fellas or I'm gonna make you 2 arm wrestle it out - loser has to buy me a jug of motorex unicorn blood. So wait, kinda important here... there's a chance I need my top end done??? My dealer called ktm and was told 700ml per 1000km is within 'range' of what they deem 'normal'. I'm a mechanical noob and even I know that's insane. My dad used to build customs from scratch back in the 60-70's and also seems to think it's the rings not setting. I have no issues jamming copious amounts of oil down its throat if that's considered 'normal' but if I'm looking at a completely kaput engine at 10,000km then I need to move on this.

Easy fellas or I'm gonna make you 2 arm wrestle it out - loser has to buy me a jug of motorex unicorn blood. So wait, kinda important here... there's a chance I need my top end done??? My dealer called ktm and was told 700ml per 1000km is within 'range' of what they deem 'normal'. I'm a mechanical noob and even I know that's insane. My dad used to build customs from scratch back in the 60-70's and also seems to think it's the rings not setting. I have no issues jamming copious amounts of oil down its throat if that's considered 'normal' but if I'm looking at a completely kaput engine at 10,000km then I need to move on this.

Hi, Leo.

Yes. Your only recourse to solve the issue is a new top end. The cylinder is also glazed, more than likely, so you can either get the cylinder walls resurfaced or order a new one. As added insurance, should you make the move, I would recommend dropping down to at least a semi-synthetic oil through the first oil change and load the engine up during the break in period. You should be all set after that. Go through two warm-ups at idle, letting the engine completely cool down between the warm ups. Then start loading the engine up while riding by fluctuating the RPM's at low speeds, loading the engine up. You don't have to reach red line high RPM's to accomplish this. This will force the two metal surfaces (rings and cylinder) to seat. Its a given that large thumpers will tend to use a little oil. The key word here is "little". Best of luck and ride safe.

A buddy has a 2013 he bough new that has the oil burner issue too. KTM had him put "break in" oil back in it and run the piss out of it... did nothing to reduce the oil consumption. It's a flaw in the 2012 and newer 690cc versions.. My 2011 does not burn a drop and I doubt the noob I got it from broke it in hard.. BAD on KTM for putting off owners with this known issue. 

dLeo, if it were mine and KTM was not paying for a new top end I would just add oil and ride.. Unless you are doing the work and are an expert. Always a risk on rebuild of something getting jacked up and you end up worse off.