Jump to content
dLeo

new 2016 enduro R eating oil like a pig

Recommended Posts

So every 2 or 3 tanks of gas you need to add a small amount of oil.

Seems completely reasonable to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rusky, how is the oil consumption now? You have a 701 or 690E?

My '16 was using a little more than 1 liter per 1000 miles and it was driving me crazy... ...they rebuilt my top end under warranty. 
I'm about 1000 miles into the new top end now and have continued using dino oil as suggested. When the bike was new, I think I should have stuck with it for a longer time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2017 at 8:15 AM, roadsterdoc said:

Rusky, how is the oil consumption now? You have a 701 or 690E?
 

 

2016 701SM

On 12/22/2017 at 8:38 AM, HeavyRotation said:

yeah, update please

Haven't had a lot of time to ride lately because it's officially rainy season. Bike has ~700mi on it since the new top end was installed. Oil consumption seems to have improved substantially so far. Previously, this many miles would already require more oil to be added as the readings would be near the bottom of the sight glass or even lower. I just checked the other day and the oil line is just slightly below the full mark.

Edited by rusky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My ‘17 701SM, broken in using the “ring seal” technique, still uses a tiny amount of oil. More than my 690e used.

I changed the oil at 1000km. Used semi synthetic. Just changed it again at about 4500km. (Semi synthetic again). In that 3500km the level fell approximately from the top line, to the bottom line. Not terrible. 

Planning changing to Full Synthetic oil next change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PThere’s a Bon Ami ring seat method out there.  I heard of it on a TV show years ago.  GM was having oil burning issues with a 50s model car.  The cure was to start the car let the carb suck in Comet powder resulting in a honing of the cylinder.  I guess it worked.

My ‘16 690 burned oil on the last ride.  I was upset bc like others I’ve always taken pride in my new bike break in procedure.

FYI warning:  A friend with a 690 was out on a big Colorado trip and his bike got low on oil.  He had no motorcycle  oil and had to buy car oil.  He smoked his clutch by the end of the trip (friction modifiers in car oil). With my oil burning situation I’m gonna bring some motorcycle in small heavy duty repurposed containers.

 

For fun

 

https://lyndonposkittracing.com/product/nova-racing-gearbox

 

Edited by BluezookS
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BluezookS said:

PThere’s a Bon Ami ring seat method out there.  I heard of it on a TV show years ago.  GM was having oil burning issues with a 50s model car.  The cure was to start the car let the carb suck in Comet powder resulting in a honing of the cylinder.  I guess it worked.

My ‘16 690 burned oil on the last ride.  I was upset bc like others I’ve always taken pride in my new bike break in procedure.

FYI warning:  A friend with a 690 was out on a big Colorado trip and his bike got low on oil.  He had no motorcycle  oil and had to buy car oil.  He smoked his clutch by the end of the trip (friction modifiers in car oil). With my oil burning situation I’m gonna bring some motorcycle in small heavy duty repurposed containers.

 

For fun

 

https://lyndonposkittracing.com/product/nova-racing-gearbox

 

Looks like that's a closer ratio gearbox than stock, though they're calling it wide, moving 1st and 6th closer to 2nd and 5th. 

Wrong direction in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, read the 1st page, and decided to skip pp. 2 & 3. 

I knew "engine break-in"was a hotly contested issue, but doggone! 

Anyway, to the OP~

In the piston aircraft industry, they use a "break-in" oil that has few detergents in it. It is designed to "seat the rings" without causing excessive oil loss. So, I recommend to you, to use a regular "dino" oil for 10 hours, then drain it and try your super dooper synthetic oil of your choice (That's "MA" compliant.)

If you decide to use non-detergent oil, please reduce your OCI to 2 hours, as you are running with very little protection. But, this should seat your rings. Then, you can go to your synth oil of your choice. 

Now, if this is a valve guide issue, all bets are off. 

Are you running high RPM for an extended period? This can cause oil to migrate to the air filter via the pcv hose.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Followup to my earlier post:

We have two MY15 690's.  My wife's used oil in the beginning.  Both bikes use no oil between changes now - but then I usually change at 600 miles.  This last oil change, I went 1200 miles due to 10-days in Moab.  Great solid bikes.  Have no idea why here bike ate oil in the beginning and quit.

Best bike I've had.

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2016 at 8:30 PM, ripping r said:

 I here this so much. you do know every engine is run at the factory. than the dealer puts a few miles or most do. the rings are seated in the first few minutes of running not 100s of miles.  so if its the rings its all on ktm.

Yeah, this just isn't true. Not all dealers put miles on a new bike. My 701SM came with .2 miles on it. If you think about it rationally, if the rings were so soft to be seated in a few minutes, they would wear out in a matter of hours. They need an very aggressive breakin because they are made of a very hard material. The 701 comes with non-synthetic oil for the breakin. I broke mine in very hard for 1000 miles on non-synthetic oil and I changed the oil three times during the breakin. Then, I switched to synthetic oil. I have almost 5000 miles on it and I havent had to add a drop of oil. And, I ride the shit out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 8:13 AM, Canyon 701SM said:

Yeah, this just isn't true. Not all dealers put miles on a new bike. My 701SM came with .2 miles on it. If you think about it rationally, if the rings were so soft to be seated in a few minutes, they would wear out in a matter of hours. They need an very aggressive breakin because they are made of a very hard material. The 701 comes with non-synthetic oil for the breakin. I broke mine in very hard for 1000 miles on non-synthetic oil and I changed the oil three times during the breakin. Then, I switched to synthetic oil. I have almost 5000 miles on it and I havent had to add a drop of oil. And, I ride the shit out of it.

I'm no internet expert, but... here's a counter story.. The cylinder walls are honed which cause them to act like sandpaper when the engine is first started. This honed surface is what wears the rings to seat them. Once the cylinder walls are polished smooth by the rings very little additional ring "break in" occurs. 

I bought my 690 from an very old dude that was afraid of it. It only had a 1,000 miles on it. I say the chances are zero that he ever rode it "very hard". Mine too burns zero oil... :excuseme: 

Don't think it's right or true to blame people who have bikes that burn oil - It's your fault for not breaking it in hard enough.. 

Edited by DrKayak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×