1986 yamaha xt600 motor oil

I use Joe Gibbs racing 15w40 special break in oil with high zinc anti wear additives and low detergent qualities for good rings and cam/tappet break in. Good stuff for four stroke break in.

Maxima also makes a good four stroke specific break in oil.

Break in oil with high zinc anti-wear additives ? lol Zinc is good for sliding surfaces like a cam , but on the other side of the coin , it will both slow your ring break in and contaminate and ruin your clutch plates. These aren't car engines.

Break in oil with high zinc anti-wear additives ? lol Zinc is good for sliding surfaces like a cam , but on the other side of the coin , it will both slow your ring break in and contaminate and ruin your clutch plates. These aren't car engines.

The Maxima and Joe Gibbs Oils are engineered to be good with motorcycles....the Joe Gibbs team uses it to break in their Yamaha 450 racing dirt bikes....these are break in oils not designed to run long interval use. I have had zero clutch issues. They would not run their formulation if the zinc slowed down ring seating I assure you-kind of defeats the purpose of their break-in oil. Call the manufacturer as I did with questions.

Edited by bimbamboom

The Maxima and Joe Gibbs Oils are engineered to be good with motorcycles....the Joe Gibbs team uses it to break in their Yamaha 450 racing dirt bikes....these are break in oils not designed to run long interval use. I have had zero clutch issues. They would not run their formulation if the zinc slowed down ring seating I assure you-kind of defeats the purpose of their break-in oil. Call the manufacturer as I did with questions.

If that's the case then it does nothing special for cams. Think about it.

STP oil additive is high in zinc. You could just add an ounce or so of that.

Wouldn't that be hard on your clutch-STP oil treatment? Motorcycle specific oils have higher levels of zinc such as ZDDP anti-wear/scuff additive than automotive oils especially in recent years because of in the interest of catalytic converter life they ditched zinc in the oils. You can still get zinc in automotive racing oils for non-street racing application. Edited by bimbamboom

I've been using what ever's on sale in my old four stroke's,(xt/xr) be it petrol or diesel specific both do the job without problem-15/40 or 20/50 works ok.....never had a problem......even outboard oil in my two strokes (yz/it) keeps em lubed at half the cost of 'm/c specific' brands of hogwash