1991 CR250 New Top End -- Wiseco or OEM?

My '91 CR250's top end took a dump on me and needs a rebuild. I've never had to rebuild a top end before and I was curious if Wiseco pistons are worth the lesser price than OEM? I know "you get what you pay for", but I don't race this bike and don't plan to, I just use it for dirt back roads and trails. Anyone have any experience with Wiseco top end rebuild kits? Thanks!

Since you don't race, an OEM cast piston will allow a tighter fit when cold (less piston slap / rocking in the bore).

Inspect your cylinder for damage to the plating and have it measured for wear / taper / out of round before simply slapping a new piston in there.

(you have to measure it anyway to know what replacement piston size to order)

OEM / cast piston are of high quality, durability or strengh issues of cast pistons are from stretching maintenance intervals too long.

Also determine WHY your engine 'took a dump',  an air leak / running lean, torn air boot etc.  will quickly ruin you newly rebuild top end as well.

Edited by mlatour

Since you don't race, an OEM cast piston will allow a tighter fit when cold (less piston slap / rocking in the bore).

Inspect you cylinder for damage to the plating and have it measured for wear / taper / out of round before simply slapping a new piston in there.

OEM / cast piston are of high quality, durability or strengh issue of cast pistons are from stretching maintenance intervals too long.

Also determine WHY your engine 'took a dump',  an air leak / running lean, torn air boot etc.  will quickly ruin you newly rebuild top end as well.

this is great advice, even if it turns out to be just a matter of hours on the old piston you really need to make sure, if not that new piston will be toast long before it should be.

Inspect you cylinder for damage to the plating and have it measured for wear / taper / out of round before simply slapping a new piston in there.

OEM / cast piston are of high quality, durability or strengh issue of cast pistons are from stretching maintenance intervals too long.

I ran it without coolant...  :banghead:  Yes, I deserve all the shame in the world for my stupidity. I bought it as a learning tool to learn how bikes work and how to fix them, so I guess this is another learning opportunity; an expensive one at that. Otherwise, it doesn't leak or run lean (I've checked it all and have adjusted it properly).