Air filter questions

Hi! I just recently finished up putting a new piston in my 07 crf250r. I know these things aren't built to last, with a recommended 10 hour life cycle by the owners manual, but wow that piston didn't last nearly long enough as i think it should've. Upon further inspection of the carb and intake there is some dirt getting into the engine; my usual routine is to clean, re oil and grease the sealing surface of the air filter after every weekend of riding (all desert with family, usually number 2 or 3 in the pack behind another bike or baja bug so always in at least some dust) but the filter just isn't getting the job done. So my question to you guys: what is the best air cleaner for keeping all that dirt from getting into my engine? The dude at the local bike shop recommended one of these: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10205/i/msr-filter-skins anyone have any positive/negative experience with these? Thanks!

I'm not riding in the desert BUT I can ride some extremely dusty trails during our summers and once I get into the interior of BC.

On my 05 CRF250R I have 2 full sets of Flow Filters and 2 x the thin outer filters and clean, oil and rotated as needed. Personally I use No Toil RED oil and it works for me and I like I can easily clean my filters around my camp site and not worry about dealing with toxic cleaners.

I normally run the main filter and a 2nd grommet with an outer. If its going to be super dusty, I add the 2nd outer. I don't use grease between the inner filter and air box put if I did, I would use a thin layer of lithium grease.

20160626_165456_zpsib2zkcpe.jpg

20160702_134520_zpseucwmyyy.jpg

Above after 2 days.

I also bought a Twin Air air box cover and will occasionally wash out the air box but IMO the best way to really clean the air box is to remove the sub-frame, pull the whole air box and clean really good with a good degrease and pressure washer.

Hope this helps

Edited by filterx

Actually I never grease.my lip on my filter and I have an 02 cr250r which are known for sucking dirt but I have to thing on the box that helps seal the filter better. I just make sure the filters set properly. Never had problems but I also am.very meticulous on my filter changes