NewYork Distric 34 Race Questions

Im 17, I ride a 2013 kx250f. I want to start racing next season. i have no numbers on my bike and no ama card. thinking the 250c class will fit me best atm.. just have a few questions

as soon as i sign up for the ama, can i use the last 3 digits of my card # for my bike or should i wait till i get to the track to receive a number?

are there two separate motos for 250c or just one race?

is college boy harder than 250c? 

what age and cc group races in it?

what is a good track to race for your first time in the district 34 area?

thanks in advance please give me advice or tips on entering your first race. 

Claverack is a good choice for you in Distcict 34

also Walden has practice days , where you can get some track time in before you actually enter a race

Edited by JCHONDA

Claverack looks really easy.. im a pretty good rider. I was thinking either walden or ak farms

Once you join the AMA, you will receive an AMA member #.  

You then need to sign up / join District 34 (and must have an AMA # to do so).  If you plan to race next season, then you don't need to submit your D34 application until sometime around December IIRC.  On the application, you'll see a box where you can choose whatever number you'd like, along with second and third choices.  You definitely can use the last 3 digits of your AMA number, but certainly don't have to.

Two motos are run for every class, and there is usually a practice session in the morning before the racing begins.

Since Collegeboy is based on age (14-24 IIRC?), it can be a pretty tough class to do well in because those guys tend to be pretty fast.  However, there generally aren't nearly as many guys on the starting gate, so it's less hectic / intimidating.

250C generally has the most guys lined up on the gate (no age limit, only cc limit, all novice), so starts can be hectic, but there are a lot more guys riding at a similar level, so it can be a little more competitive and fun.

AK Farms isn't operating this year.  Walden is a good track, especially if you are a decent rider, but I would definitely recommend some practice time on it before racing on it.  They have an Open Practice next Saturday, 8/27, and we'll be there if you want to meet up with me and my son (he's 15 and rides a KTM 250 SXF).  We'd be happy to give you some pointers, answer questions, or just hang out.

Dan

Edited by BLSJDS

My son and I have been D34 members for several years. 

You can sign up for both the AMA and D34 at the same time. Now or towards the end of the year contact Sam at D34 and ask if your preferred number is available. I'd have a back up or two just in case. My son used his last 3 of his AMA number. You will get an RMATV 10$ gift card just for signing up and renewing, and also get one for each class you enter and race. Recently Lucas Oil has also been giving $10.00 cards so, each race class is actually only $15.  Those little cards add up! 

My son races 250C. All classes are 2 moto format. 250C usually has full gates and the first couple of turns can be sketchy, but it's motocross. There are a few guys who are in C class that should not be, then the legit. C riders. Schoolboy and college boy are age based and fast. 

Right now D34 has Hurricane Hills, Englishtown, Walden,  Dutchman, and Field of Dreams in the series. Broome Tioga also had a race this year, but AK Farms ran into some trouble and has not been able to operate. 

Information on classes and ages can be found here http://www.district34sportscommittee.com/

Most of the tracks have an OP the day before a race. Personally, I like Hurricane Hills in Pa. but all the tracks are fun and challenging.

First race tips?

Have fun and don't put unnecessary  pressure on yourself.

As Dan mentioned, (BTW how are you guys doing Dan?) if you have any further questions ask.  

Edited by DirtDad3
  • Like 1

Once you join the AMA, you will receive an AMA member #.

You then need to sign up / join District 34 (and must have an AMA # to do so). If you plan to race next season, then you don't need to submit your D34 application until sometime around December IIRC. On the application, you'll see a box where you can choose whatever number you'd like, along with second and third choices. You definitely can use the last 3 digits of your AMA number, but certainly don't have to.

Two motos are run for every class, and there is usually a practice session in the morning before the racing begins.

Since Collegeboy is based on age (14-24 IIRC?), it can be a pretty tough class to do well in because those guys tend to be pretty fast. However, there generally aren't nearly as many guys on the starting gate, so it's less hectic / intimidating.

250C generally has the most guys lined up on the gate (no age limit, only cc limit, all novice), so starts can be hectic, but there are a lot more guys riding at a similar level, so it can be a little more competitive and fun.

AK Farms isn't operating this year. Walden is a good track, especially if you are a decent rider, but I would definitely recommend some practice time on it before racing on it. They have an Open Practice next Saturday, 8/27, and we'll be there if you want to meet up with me and my son (he's 15 and rides a KTM 250 SXF). We'd be happy to give you some pointers, answer questions, or just hang out.

Dan

Thanks alot, ill let you know if i can make it on the 27th

attachicon.gif20160821_213612.jpg

So the last 3 of the blue number is my race number? And all i have to do is sign up for d34 and im good right?

You can pick any number you want for your race number as long as it isn't already taken in the District you are racing. If the last three of your AMA is the number you want, contact Sam and see if it's taken. If it's available it's yours!

My son used the last three because he had no idea what number he wanted.

BTW, I'd get rid of the address in your picture.

Edited by DirtDad3
  • Like 1

My son and I have been D34 members for several years. 

You can sign up for both the AMA and D34 at the same time. Now or towards the end of the year contact Sam at D34 and ask if your preferred number is available. I'd have a back up or two just in case. My son used his last 3 of his AMA number. You will get an RMATV 10$ gift card just for signing up and renewing, and also get one for each class you enter and race. Recently Lucas Oil has also been giving $10.00 cards so, each race class is actually only $15.  Those little cards add up! 

My son races 250C. All classes are 2 moto format. 250C usually has full gates and the first couple of turns can be sketchy, but it's motocross. There are a few guys who are in C class that should not be, then the legit. C riders. Schoolboy and college boy are age based and fast. 

Right now D34 has Hurricane Hills, Englishtown, Walden,  Dutchman, and Field of Dreams in the series. Broome Tioga also had a race this year, but AK Farms ran into some trouble and has not been able to operate. 

Information on classes and ages can be found here http://www.district34sportscommittee.com/

Most of the tracks have an OP the day before a race. Personally, I like Hurricane Hills in Pa. but all the tracks are fun and challenging.

First race tips?

Have fun and don't put unnecessary  pressure on yourself.

As Dan mentioned, (BTW how are you guys doing Dan?) if you have any further questions ask.  

Doing well, thanks!  How are you and Thomas doing?  I thought I saw you two at Unadilla earlier this month, but wasn't 100% sure.  Were you there?

Justin and I are hoping to make the Sept race at Walden. His bike was down for about a month with an electrical issue, so we're both a little rusty.

We are good.

'Dilla was fun. He raced Friday before the deluge and finished 18th. Not bad considering it was our first time on the track. My moto Friday was canned due to lightning and Sunday was a mud fest. For some reason my fuel line wasn't connected properly (after dealer did the top end) and it blew off on the first lap. Left me wallowing in mud kicking and spraying fuel all over before I had to load it on the "couch-cart" for the pits. We foolishly bagged our second motos and hit the road for home. U2 is a great track, I wish I had more time on it in nicer conditions! Did you guys race?

We make whatever D34 events we can. I collapsed my left lung in April at Walden and Thomas cracked the top ten overall finishes at Hurricane Hills a month ago. 

Looking forward to E-Town this weekend and Hurricane the 10th-11th. Then I have to go back to bill paying on weekends. Would love to get back to Walden before the end of the season, but not sure if I can make it happen.

Edited by DirtDad3

We are good.

'Dilla was fun. He raced Friday before the deluge and finished 18th. Not bad considering it was our first time on the track. My moto Friday was canned due to lightning and Sunday was a mud fest. For some reason my fuel line wasn't connected properly (after dealer did the top end) and it blew off on the first lap. Left me wallowing in mud kicking and spraying fuel all over before I had to load it on the "couch-cart" for the pits. We foolishly bagged our second motos and hit the road for home. U2 is a great track, I wish I had more time on it in nicer conditions! Did you guys race?

We make whatever D34 events we can. I collapsed my left lung in April at Walden and Thomas cracked the top ten overall finishes at Hurricane Hills a month ago. 

Looking forward to E-Town this weekend and Hurricane the 10th-11th. Then I have to go back to bill paying on weekends. Would love to get back to Walden before the end of the season, but not sure if I can make it happen.

Whoa - what happened at Walden?  I hope you're ok now!

I haven't raced all year; Justin has only raced once this year.  It's been tough for us to find the time.

We are going to try out a new place near us (Gotham MX?) this weekend and will be at Englishtown next weekend.

For some reason I checked up on the finish line double/double-double/triple section and took a fairly large sized dirt sample. Didn't go to ER until wife yelled at me Monday night. :rant:  It wasn't too bad so I spent 9 hours with high flow O2 and it thankfully re-inflated on it's own.

I saw Gotham was opening this year. Let me know how it is.

You should go to Hurricane Hills next weekend if you can. OP on Saturday, race on Sunday. It's the Pa. State Championship weekend.

We've seen PLENTY of riders (fast guys too) get messed up in that section - it's tricky.  I almost went down there myself last weekend  :facepalm: .  Thank goodness you're ok!

We haven't heard great things about it yet, but figured we'd try it out for ourselves to see.  Will definitely let you know.  I really want to get to Hurricane Hills at some points because I've heard it's really nice.  Good luck!!