Hand guards

I'm looking to replace the flag style hand guards with a full wrap around guard, but was told by my dealer anything with center reach mounts would interfere with cables.

Is anyone running a center reach style guard with stock bars? I'm looking at both Cycra pro bend and Zetas as well, but am open to recommendations.

If there's any reason to avoid wrap around guards in favor of flag style guards I'd like to hear it as well.

I'm looking to replace the flag style hand guards with a full wrap around guard, but was told by my dealer anything with center reach mounts would interfere with cables.

Is anyone running a center reach style guard with stock bars? I'm looking at both Cycra pro bend and Zetas as well, but am open to recommendations.

If there's any reason to avoid wrap around guards in favor of flag style guards I'd like to hear it as well.

I always use full wrap-arounds.  They're stronger and offer more protection for your hands, and they are more likely to prevent your levers getting broken when you hit the deck.  On my 2012 450RR there is room for the mounting supports, but not much.  It's a case of moving things (clutch perch, brake reservoir etc) around a little bit until you get everything to fit.  Loosen off everything first, fit the guards and just adjust the different positions until you get a result you're happy with.  It can be hard to get the positioning right for standing-up riding (i.e. levers pointing down more) but it is possible.  Watch that the mounting bolts don't foul the hydraulic lines or fray the rubber sheaths. You might need to use a different mounting hole on the right hand guard compared to the left.  Cycras look cool, and I'm sure they're great quality, but personally I'm very happy with a €30 euro kit from China which works well.  The offset on the Cycras might help with the mounting positions (or alternatively they might hinder it, not sure).  The important thing is to get the ones with a continuous metal bar all the way round.   

Edited by daveuprite

put a search on this here .. this has been talked about a bunch of times.

I have a 16 430rs and while I got the Cycra Probends to fit, it was barely.  I cant have them exactly where I want without blocking the ignition key.  There isnt much room for the center mounts.   If I had to do it again I think I would give the Enduro Engineering one a try.

I got the Fastway handguards.  It replaces the handlebar clamp, thus not needing any re-arranging.  I had the enduro engineering guards and disliked them.  They just didn't fit well at all in my opinion.  I'm 100% happy with these.

http://www.promotobillet.com/p-22569-hand-guards.html

I got version 2.

Edited by cachunko
  • Like 1

On my Xtrainer I run Cycra Pro Bend handguards with BRP threaded bar-end inserts and handlebar top clamp mounts.  It's a bomber-tough combination and looks pretty good too.  No modifications to controls or cable routing were required.

BMI_9254_full-500x500.jpg   BMI_9233_full-500x500.jpg

Edited by wwguy

Thanks for the all info, I like the design of the BRP mounting system. Looks solid and cleans things up, which is part of what I'm trying to accomplish

I used the Zeta ARMOR HAND GUARDS Bend. http://zeta-racing.com/handguard/armor_bent/index.html

But I use the SRT Competition Bar Mounts. http://www.srtoffroad.com/srt-competition-bar-mount-pair

I use the white Zeta XC PROTECTOR shields. http://zeta-racing.com/handguard/xc/index.html

This setup is great. They clear the brake and clutch line perfectly and fit very well.

+1 on the brp mounts. I use these with the zeta armor and the zeta xc pro shields on my 2015 300 rr race edition. I used EE guards on all my other bikes but got tired of how the shields would slide around and zip ties only work until you bash them and they snap off. I liked the mounting of the zetas and the pro bend since all the other guys I ride with use the cycras. Was going to do those but I was into the red anodized colorway to match my marzocchi forks

Edited by dadada

I'm ordering the Reflex Racing handguards for my '17 300.  As I see it (and I could be wrong), the one downside to clamping the ends of the bar to the near-center is it doesn't allow ANY flex in the bars themselves and I think that little bit of flex helps with vibration; the Reflex handguards have a section of cable that connects the wrap-around to the center clamps and permits more flex.

Reflex Racing claims that the bars can be reoriented if knocked out of place after a crash much more easily. 

The other reason I like the Reflex Racing setup is how it appears to be able to accommodate controls/cables better.  I anticipate adding one of the Clake items (not sure if it's gonna be the SLR or the One Light Clutch) and they are a little bulkier.

Very stout setup!

http://reflexracing.com

Thanks for all the info. The Reflex and BRP and the Cyra seem like great systems, but after doing some research and measuring, it appears that they all might interfere with either the key or ability to raise the fork tubes with the oem handle bar mount. I should mention this is on an RS model.

It seems that adding a sub mounted steering stabilizer might be beneficial beyond just smoothing things out and give you much needed clearance to add hand guards with robust mounting points.

Thanks for all the info. The Reflex and BRP and the Cyra seem like great systems, but after doing some research and measuring, it appears that they all might interfere with either the key or ability to raise the fork tubes with the oem handle bar mount. I should mention this is on an RS model.

It seems that adding a sub mounted steering stabilizer might be beneficial beyond just smoothing things out and give you much needed clearance to add hand guards with robust mounting points.

FWIW here's a photo of my Xtrainer with BRP Scott's SUB mount, BRP handguard mounts, and Cycra Pro-Bend handguards.  It does make for a clean installation.  I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to modify controls cables etc. (Unlike my WR250R where I had to buy longer clutch and throttle cables and lengthen wiring by 3".)

beta1210.jpg