Oil Injection Rejection

On 26/8/2016 at 3:40 PM, Thewegian said:

What you would look at is the amount of failures of other parts on the engine as a comparison.  I imagine Beta has already done this and came up with the verdict that it is worth the risk, since they are warranting the motorcycle? There must not be much risk since OI is not a necessity and more of a convenience. I'm leaving mine on, but one thing that worries me is I am constantly replacing the battery on the instrument.  If the battery dies during the time the idiot light comes on saying the OI is dead, now that would be a bad thing.... 

OI Fail 300 rr 2016 with only 56hs :(

beta automix fail.jpeg

Edited by Pablo Neotandil

• 2 weeks later...

removed the oil injection on my xt last spring,  ran off the trail , and stuffed it into a bunch off brush and junk,  a stick poked a hole in my radiator which I didn't see till I got it home , and also noticed that the throttle position sensor wire had been yanked on hard by a stick , and was close to coming apart. if that goes away, you lose signal to the oil injection pump, there goes your mix. so to eliminate that issue, just removed the system, its easy, you can do it yourself for nothing. I run my pre mix 60:1 . I used the j.d jetting kit, and used there recommendations for set up. altitude , and that kind of stuff. I have another 2 stroke ,a sherco x-ride , so I already have pre mix around. I really did like the oil injection, one less hassle to deal with, and the thing always worked perfect . 

My 1966 Yamaha YL1 had oil injection, worked perfectly. As did the oil injection on my 1972 Yamaha CT1, and my 1974 Yamaha RD350. I road-raced the RD350 all over the country, from Daytona, to Charlotte, Pocono, Mid-Ohio, and more -- all with oil injection. This is not new technology. It works. Might need a bit of adjustment or tweak.

I have a 1975 Suzuki TS 250 street scrambler with oil injection and it still works perfectly...BUT...the Beta system and the old mechanical systems are apples and oranges.  Those mechanical systems are not subject to a solid-state controller and motor that can fail without any kind of warning, nor do they rely on any kind of wiring system that can loosen or corrode at the contacts, be torn loose in a crash, etc.   Riding off-road is challenging, especially if one rides alone as I do - so I can't accept a potential unnecessary failure point on my dirt bikes.  Street bikes are another matter, where you can usually easily get assistance if something goes wrong.

I removed it in my XT, but am keeping it in my old TS250, LOL.....

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I think it depends where and how you ride. If a casual trail rider, dual sport, mx track, western type wide open spaces rider or some type of open trail system the OI is probably fine and why all the magazine testers who dont ride woods like it so much.( and why they have no clue when it comes to off road bikes for peoole who live and ride in wooded areas.)

There is always a balance between technology, weight, reliability, risk tolerance, price, protection, convenience etc. 

I am not against OI, it just doesn't make sense for the way I ride, where I ride, etc. Too many branches and sticks and handle bars and get offs for me. Heck I break about 3 shifters every year and have had about every wire and tube ripped off at one time or another.  Also why I want a backup kicker, i have ripped off the starter button, sent the bike tumbledumping down a hill and  my seat popped off and had a battery terminal break, ripped off ground wires, worn through the wire to the starter etc. But I still have the original chain guide, handle bars, have never broken or bent a rotor. 

As long as you make an informed decision and weight the pros and cons you should feel confident about your decision and enjoy the ride.

Just recently purchased a leftover 17' 300RR. OI just made me uneasy and I don't find mixing fuel that big a deal. I like the idea of OI but this system just sounded like it had too many potential failure points with not enough failsafe checks implemented. I rode several hours with it but found myself constantly worried about it and neurotically checking on it. It was working but still just not worth the obsessing when I'm trying to enjoy riding. I deleted it and I am more relaxed not having to think about it while riding. Oil is in the tank. Good to go!

• Like 1

I hope Beta takes good care of you guys, they should.  I'd be much more concerned if this was KTM, as my own personal customer service experience, and another I witnessed, was far from stellar.  Basic reason why I would never buy another Austrian bike, no matter how good it was.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thorgautr said:

2017 Beta 300rr 70h on it OI failed , I hope this oi system is under warranty!!!! Right after bike Will be fixed , I'm gonna buy delete kit and started to premix !!!! I'm really disappointed on this oi system 

Don't waste your money on the Delete Kit.  I deleted my OI without the kit and its pretty simple.  The hardest part is removing the oil tank.

The kit is a bit $$, but its nice in that you get rid of the TPS and the throttle pull is lighter, and the manifold is solid.  If you keep and plug the OI manifold, pull the nipple out and seal a short screw/nyloc nut/washer through the hole in its place.  Just a plug of sealer in the hole or leaving the nipple could loosen eventually.

• Like 1