Sign in to follow this  

Does rear end cap screen removal = lower engine & exhaust temps?

I have read so much trying to find an accurate answer that now I'm confused! I have a 2014 exc 500 that I have desmogged, and also adjusted the tps. The bike runs great but I've always thought it runs too hot. The restricted stock exhaust is partly to blame I'm sure. From all the research I've done it seems that about 50% remove the screen and 50% do not. The reason for not removing the screen seems to bee that it will make the bike run leaner than it already does. This would defeat the purpose of me trying to make the bike run cooler. Any definitive answers? Thanks

Scott

I have the same bike and same mods. I put a bds end cap on then adjusted the tps. The bike is hot but goes like crazy and I have never had a lean or "too hot" symptom.

Mine is stock except dialing in the TPS and desmog. It runs hotter than a 2t, but I've had it in tight sugar sand trails in high 90's weather in Florida and it never got too hot. The only time I've ever heard of one over heating is when really abusing the clutch in continuous hill climbs. Ktm did a good job with the cooling systems on these. Remember that with a 4 stroke, cooler is not always better. They need some heat to run their best.

IMO the screen alone is not going to impact engine temps. What led you to believe you are running to hot.... What symptoms?

I don't have any symptoms, never had it boil over or anything. I just like to tinker and improve performance when I can. I just happened to come across a discussion about the stock muffler and realized just how restrictive it is. I read somewhere that if you do "any" mods to the muffler you have to change the fuel map or the bike will be too lean. On the other hand, a lot of people have done the same mods as I have done plus removed the screen and had good results.

I just don't want to rip the screen out and then have the bike be too lean. I'm having information overload I guess.

I have the same bike and same mods. I put a bds end cap on then adjusted the tps. The bike is hot but goes like crazy and I have never had a lean or "too hot" symptom.

M, do you have the newest version of the bdsb end cap, the one that is an inch longer? Also, r u running with stock EXCHANGE map?

Scott

Stock map, old bds cap, also have the snap and grunt. I would like the xcw map but my dealer won't do it and it runs great so oh well. I did just do the valve shims and that made a noticeable difference. Just slightly out of spec and I did not realize what I had lost. 60hrs on bike.

I have adjusted my valves once and the bike runs great. I'm just trying to figure out if removing that screen would be a positive.

I have adjusted my valves once and the bike runs great. I'm just trying to figure out if removing that screen would be a positive.

The amount of airflow you gain from removing the screen is massive.    Letting an engine breath vs suffocating it is always a positive

I have read so much trying to find an accurate answer that now I'm confused! I have a 2014 exc 500 that I have desmogged, and also adjusted the tps. The bike runs great but I've always thought it runs too hot. The restricted stock exhaust is partly to blame I'm sure. From all the research I've done it seems that about 50% remove the screen and 50% do not. The reason for not removing the screen seems to bee that it will make the bike run leaner than it already does. This would defeat the purpose of me trying to make the bike run cooler. Any definitive answers? Thanks

Scott

There is a double noise screen (that you can see). the spark screen is deeper in the exhaust.  But yes 100% , the noise screen provides a lot of restriction and heat.  However, if you remove the noise screens, I would get the fueling adjusted , because .64 is not enough , and the bike will be even leaner.  While you can turn the tps up even more, the throttle quality begins to degrade from my experience, many don't notice because they gear the bike down, so its abrupt just from that , making it more difficult to see the throttle quality degrade.

There is a double noise screen (that you can see). the spark screen is deeper in the exhaust.  But yes 100% , the noise screen provides a lot of restriction and heat.  However, if you remove the noise screens, I would get the fueling adjusted , because .64 is not enough , and the bike will be even leaner.  While you can turn the tps up even more, the throttle quality begins to degrade from my experience, many don't notice because they gear the bike down, so its abrupt just from that , making it more difficult to see the throttle quality degrade.

Yes, I'm talking about the screen you can see when look at the back end of the bike. So I guess the question is- do I let the engine breath but be a little more lean, or keep it plugged up so it's not so lean. I think I'm back where I started! 🙂

Just change out the end cap. If you dont like it, sell it on here for a minor loss.

Im pro-modded end cap. There are people here that believe if you mod the end cap without remapping, you could cause the end of days.

I say risk it.

IMG_0699.jpg

Yes, I'm talking about the screen you can see when look at the back end of the bike. So I guess the question is- do I let the engine breath but be a little more lean, or keep it plugged up so it's not so lean. I think I'm back where I started! 🙂

I can only say I was not satisfied with the tps adjustment  and a descreened end cap, and immediately went after the fueling.  I was still burning pure ghost white plugs with a 50/50 leaded race mix, and that was not normal. I should have had a tinge of some color.  I normally don't run that concentration, I was just trying to get some color.

will the bike run okay with tps and desreened,  yes and you will gain alittle ummph, is it excessive noise (no) its nice ,   but where I said, if going to remove the screens, then you should fix the fueling, that hasn't changed.

Going with the more open end caps, beware of the noise, its LOUD.

above pic is a 300 hour spark plug, and at 20,000 miles 400 hours, valves are still holding where they were off the floor.

Edited by Spud786

I can only say I was not satisfied with the tps adjustment  and a descreened end cap, and immediately went after the fueling.  I was still burning pure ghost white plugs with a 50/50 leaded race mix, and that was not normal. I should have had a tinge of some color.

will the bike run okay with tps and desreened,  yes and you will gain alittle ummph, is it excessive noise (no) its nice ,   but where I said, if going to remove the screens, then you should fix the fueling, that hasn't changed.

Going with the more open end caps, beware of the noise, its LOUD.

Definitely don't want the bike to be a lot louder. Spud what did you do to riches up, eu map, jd tuner??

There's too many bikes running just fine with screens in stock pipes.... And I'm talking for years. Dirt and road. And screens removed for years both with no issues. The screen argument IMO is personal preference. Not a mandated must do requirement. Screen or no screen the tps needs to be checked and 99 times out of a 100 adjusted. That IMO is mandatory.

There's too many bikes running just fine with screens in stock pipes.... And I'm talking for years. Dirt and road. And screens removed for years both with no issues. The screen argument IMO is personal preference. Not a mandated must do requirement. Screen or no screen the tps needs to be checked and 99 times out of a 100 adjusted. That IMO is mandatory.

Good point, fuddy.

Scott

I may be able to help with that question.. I have a removable end cap screen. I can perform a shade-tree study and put this question and debate to rest.

I have a Fluke IR thermometer... I can run my 6D 500 with the end cap screen removed and take a head pipe temperature reading... then install the end cap screen and take another header temp reading.

Would that help?

I may be able to help with that question.. I have a removable end cap screen. I can perform a shade-tree study and put this question and debate to rest.

I have a Fluke IR thermometer... I can run my 6D 500 with the end cap screen removed and take a head pipe temperature reading... then install the end cap screen and take another header temp reading.

Would that help?

If you are willing, it would be interesting to see if there is a difference.

If you are willing, it would be interesting to see if there is a difference.

I'll get it done sometime this weekend and report back...