Anyone received their 2017 exc yet?

I don't know when they are coming, but you're NOT going to miss your DRZ, that's for sure. [emoji106]

Patience... ?

Yeah the DRZ is a nice but heavy bike! Mine just isn't a nice one. Everything has been retaped on the bike half with imperial the other with metric, not one oem bolt left. This summer, the front brake line broke, the speedo cable broke, the oil pump, clutch cable, fuel line, carburetor valve slider, coolant overflow line.l

Basically all the lines are breaking because they are too old and worn-out.

I want a new bike on which I will be the first owner.

I'm tired of getting someone else problem. This DRZ was plugged with issues.

A lot of people told me KTM are not reliable but that's always from people who never had KTM....

• Like 1

They are not in the US yet, normally they come in a month or two after the XCW models and those started showing up at dealers this month.  Some dealers are saying late September while others are holding firm on November delivery on the street legal 4 strokes.

Strange.. i thought you swore by ocktm.

Everyday you learn something new. #TheMoreYouKnow

There you go thinking again on your own ?

I like to spread my bike purchases around, that way I get my parts discounts everywhere :goofy:   Got the '16 501 from OCKTM ?

Edited by KennyMc

I was catching up on this thread today, and decided to go an "review" the '17 500's to refresh myself on what all of the hype is about.

For starters, this is what it says on the 500 info page:

"-10.5
The main target for the KTM engineers when developing the EXC models was a massive weight reduction compared to the previous generation. The result: the current EXCs are the slimmest, lightest bikes in the Enduro scene, even though the engines are equipped with an electric starter as a standard feature, while the competition still needs to be kick-started. You can just focus on kicking ass."

That puts the weight without fuel at 240 lb (109kg).  WOW.  I thought that the '16s were 252, so that's actually 12 pounds less.  None the less, that's amazing.  It kind of got me to thinking that I wonder how much weight the actual kick starter pieces weigh?  I'm usually not able to successfully kick start my bike anyways, so I'm not for sure if I was in a situation where I needed it, that I could even execute kicking it anyways.  If I'd lose that "feature" on my bike, I'd shed some pounds as well.  Just a thought.

The other thing that comes standard in the new bikes is a lithium ion battery.  When mine goes out, that will be what I go with, so there's savings there as well. 

I like what they did with the engine cases and covers as well, not so much from the looks standpoint, but from the getting scratched up standpoint.

I also looked at the 350's.  Ironically, the 350 has a LARGER EFI than the 500!  I don't know if it was that way in the past, but that surprises me.  Also, the 350 has a redline of 13,500 RPM.  Again, I don't know what that was in the past, but that's SCREAMING.  The 350 also "books" at 58HP.  Isn't that about where the 500's are? (the 500 HP is not listed on the site).  The 350 now "books" at 220 lbs (100.2kg), which is UNREAL!!  With all that being said, there's no doubt that the 500 is still a torque monster compared to the 350, and for the riding that I do, I want torque over HP, so I'd be fine with the 500.  The 500 now weighs what the 350 did last year!!!

There's no doubt that KTM has it going on with respect to these enduro machines.  It still amazes me to this day that the Jap guys are not getting in on the action.  Even if they did, would they offer an ENDURO that was 240 pounds @ 510CC's???

PS:  Still don't like graphics on the '17, though.  Too blah...     ?

I was catching up on this thread today, and decided to go an "review" the '17 500's to refresh myself on what all of the hype is about.

For starters, this is what it says on the 500 info page:

"-10.5The main target for the KTM engineers when developing the EXC models was a massive weight reduction compared to the previous generation. The result: the current EXCs are the slimmest, lightest bikes in the Enduro scene, even though the engines are equipped with an electric starter as a standard feature, while the competition still needs to be kick-started. You can just focus on kicking ass."

That puts the weight without fuel at 240 lb (109kg).  WOW.  I thought that the '16s were 252, so that's actually 12 pounds less.  None the less, that's amazing.  It kind of got me to thinking that I wonder how much weight the actual kick starter pieces weigh?  I'm usually not able to successfully kick start my bike anyways, so I'm not for sure if I was in a situation where I needed it, that I could even execute kicking it anyways.  If I'd lose that "feature" on my bike, I'd shed some pounds as well.  Just a thought.

The other thing that comes standard in the new bikes is a lithium ion battery.  When mine goes out, that will be what I go with, so there's savings there as well. 

I like what they did with the engine cases and covers as well, not so much from the looks standpoint, but from the getting scratched up standpoint.

I also looked at the 350's.  Ironically, the 350 has a LARGER EFI than the 500!  I don't know if it was that way in the past, but that surprises me.  Also, the 350 has a redline of 13,500 RPM.  Again, I don't know what that was in the past, but that's SCREAMING.  The 350 also "books" at 58HP.  Isn't that about where the 500's are? (the 500 HP is not listed on the site).  The 350 now "books" at 220 lbs (100.2kg), which is UNREAL!!  With all that being said, there's no doubt that the 500 is still a torque monster compared to the 350, and for the riding that I do, I want torque over HP, so I'd be fine with the 500.  The 500 now weighs what the 350 did last year!!!

There's no doubt that KTM has it going on with respect to these enduro machines.  It still amazes me to this day that the Jap guys are not getting in on the action.  Even if they did, would they offer an ENDURO that was 240 pounds @ 510CC's???

PS:  Still don't like graphics on the '17, though.  Too blah...     ?

Bear in mind as part of weight savings the oil capacity went from 1.5 to 1.3. Think id have the weight to have more oil personally.

The suspension is lighter on the '17's.  The fork is lighter by .5lbs and the shock by 1.5lbs per KTM.  That's 2lbs.  The battery saves another 2lbs.  Kick starter is prolly another 3lbs.  That would account for 7lbs.  

Kick Start.jpg

Edited by KennyMc

I seriously doubt a euro 4 mapped 350 , jumped 18 horse power.

Ive seen modded 500's get to 58 horse

DON'T KILL ME, I'M JUST THE MESSENGER!!  ?

From KTM's 350 page:

"CYLINDER HEAD
The new cylinder head features an improved combustion chamber geometry, two overhead camshafts with a friction-optimized super-fine surface, new finger followers with a 30 % harder DLC coating and high-flow ports. In conjunction with new valve springs and retainers for the four lightweight titanium valves (intake 36.3 mm, exhaust 29.1 mm) the flow rate has been maximized for an optimal power band with more performance across the entire range, which peaks at 13,400 rpm. The peak performance now is at 58 hp."

I personally find that hard to believe as well, but that's what it says, and we all know that everything that you read on the internet is true...  ?