Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Jessy needs our help

Guys we've let Jessy Nelson fall through the cracks in here and his condition has not really improved much since the crash. I'm hoping that all of us can contribute something to a young man who's entertained us all on the track. It saddens me that our sport does not take care of its top riders when something like this happens but that's where we all can step up to the plate and donate something even if it's the $15 that you were going to spend on new grips. Everyone try to help with what they can for this young ripper.

s1200_image.jpg

Edited by BBA
  • Like 7

Ridiculous 

That he has to ask for help covering his medical costs?  

Or the overall lack of medical coverage for our premiere riders?  

I'd agree it is disgraceful that the promoter, team, or factory aren't helping this fine young man out.

It is 100 % absolutely REDICULOUS he isn't covered.

Our riders deserve BETTER !!!   

• Like 7

That he has to ask for help covering his medical costs?  

Or the overall lack of medical coverage for our premiere riders?  

I'd agree it is disgraceful that the promoter, team, or factory aren't helping this fine young man out.

It is 100 % absolutely REDICULOUS he isn't covered.

Our riders deserve BETTER !!!   

It's all ridiculous. It's sad a professional rider has to beg for money

• Like 8

I'm not sure why the top riders don't demand health insurance in their contracts. It will start to trickle down when that happens.

I'm not sure why the top riders don't demand health insurance in their contracts. It will start to trickle down when that happens.

• Like 4

Ya, with all the millions the promoters are racking in you'd think a top notch health insurance plan would be automatic for all riders participating in pro race events.

Especially given the high risk of injury they face.

But then again look what's happening to our armed services veterans.

• Like 1

All I know is if you can donate $5,10,20,30,.....even $50 it will help him if enough of us contribute.

• Like 7

How can a guy racing on a factory backed team need help with medical expenses? Do they not have insurance? Is he not an employee that can file a workmanscomp claim?

I bet these kids are all independent contractors and its up to them to get insurance coverage

• Like 4

I dont know what to say.

The fact that they dont cover health insurrance for their racers is just... I believed if they had ANYTHING in that contract it would be insurrance.

• Like 1

I broke my lumbers in 2005 getting ready for Glen Helen round 1. And 2 weeks before I was to fly out, I looped out and the bike chased me through the air and landed right on my lower back.. it took me a whole year to recover.. 6 months before i could even start therapy... I lost everything after that mishap..I somewhat understand what he is going through. His injury is obviously more severe though

• Like 3

Ya, with all the millions the promoters are racking in you'd think a top notch health insurance plan would be automatic for all riders participating in pro race events.

Especially given the high risk of injury they face.

But then again look what's happening to our armed services veterans.

It has to be nearly impossible for a pro racer to get insurance. To get disability insurance I has to sign off that I would not be covered if I raced(which I don't). As health care is a for profit business there is really no incentive to provide it to any racing discipline. 

Found one. Don't know what the cost is though.

https://www.ridersurance.com/

Edited by portlandcsc

There are insurance programs for extreme athletes, they don't do the usual 9-5 customer though...

Too bad their agents don't help with this kind of stuff...

How does not having insurance work with Obamacare? I was under the assumption that you had to have insurance inorder to comply with the law.

Are racers ineligible to purchase through an exchange, or do they just choose not to and pay the fine?

• Like 2

How does not having insurance work with Obamacare? I was under the assumption that you had to have insurance inorder to comply with the law.

Are racers ineligible to purchase through an exchange, or do they just choose not to and pay the fine?

first of all, it would be so stupid for a pro racer (or any racer) to swing a leg over a bike without insurance.. next, a factory team would be so worthless if they allowed their riders to compete without insurance. Finally, a pro racer is making at least $60,000 a year. They wouldn't qualify for any decent Obamacare bullsh!+ Discounts. I hate that Obamacare.. I seriously can't believe (we) the American people have allowed this sh!+ To get passed.. Edited by slowgs2001
  • Like 5

Yeah its ridiculous. When i was working for a contractor i was making 36k and wasnt eligible for any insurance. It would have cost me over 600 a month

• Like 3