Will a 230 motor fit in a 200r frame?

Lots of fab time on those pegs.

I did something similar with a XR200 engine swap and had clearance and travel issues for the kick starter lever.

This set up would not work well with a 200 motor, I think the screwey peg position on the 200 is partly driven by the kickstart lever. No worries with the 230 motor.

• 3 weeks later...

The shock looks like a 96+ KYB from a XR250R.

Any mods to adapt it to the chassis?

This shock is so much better than the stocker that I feel it's mandatory. I took a little more out of the length than you did on yours. I had to massage the link and the clevis a bit for clearance. It is about 1/2" taller than stock, but when I was measuring travel with the big 18" tires I like to run the fender clearance was about right.

I really didn't want to modify the frame for 1/2" anyway.

I'm on the fence with this bbr exhaust. It runs pretty close to the rear brake hose. As you can see the 230 exhaust will fit the 200 with a few tweaks. I may just go with the xr's only exhaust

📎IMG_1485212634.920037.jpg

If you can raise the pipe up about 1" the frame mount will be in the middle of the pipe like stock.  Then you will have enough clearance for the brake hose, at least I haven't had any problems with the brake hose on mine with that location. I also have a LHRB line going thru that area and I carefully zip tied it to keep it clear of the exhaust.

The rear brake hose should be clamped to the top of the swing arm in two places (like stock), that will help to keep it clear of the exhaust.

Edited by Chuck.

This shock is so much better than the stocker that I feel it's mandatory. I took a little more out of the length than you did on yours. I had to massage the link and the clevis a bit for clearance. It is about 1/2" taller than stock, but when I was measuring travel with the big 18" tires I like to run the fender clearance was about right.

I really didn't want to modify the frame for 1/2" anyway.

I agree, it is a next gen shock over the remote reservoir shock.  I have one on my 01, damping enough better that I went back to the weaker stock spring.

If I had worked on the linkage for a bit more clearance I prob could have avoided modding the frame.

Thanks-did you have to do any modifications to make them work? From the pics of crf pegs on ebay, they don't look like they would work, at least not without some major mods. Any chance you could take a close up pic of your setup?

Thanks-did you have to do any modifications to make them work? From the pics of crf pegs on ebay, they don't look like they would work, at least not without some major mods. Any chance you could take a close up pic of your setup?

I have similar pegs and they are super easy to modify to install, once you get them they just need some trimming/grinding on the one side.

I used the crf brackets that bolt to the aluminium frame bikes. I had to grind away on the 200 frames lower cross tube until the angle was just right. There is a ton of small adjustments and then check fit, then grind a little more until the brackets line up just right to position the pegs straight and level. It was nerve racking trying to get it just right and equal side to side knowing that I could ruin the frame if I screwed up. Then I just welded the brackets to the frame. It took some time to get it done, but the nice thing now is that any crf250/450 peg will fit without modification.

• Like 1

Ahh, I see...that's a lot more work than I want to do, plus i can't weld! Thanks for the clarification.

Westcoasting, tell me more. Do you use the XR peg hangers, or do as chadzu describes to make them work?

Ahh, I see...that's a lot more work than I want to do, plus i can't weld! Thanks for the clarification.

Westcoasting, tell me more. Do you use the XR peg hangers, or do as chadzu describes to make them work?

The early bikes 81-83 will accept the crf pegs with a little work.  The 84+ bikes have totally weird pegs, and I have not found any other pegs that will fit.