Will a 230 motor fit in a 200r frame?

5 minutes ago, chadzu said:

Idk, maybe a pound.
There are still a few things that I want to do that will take a bit off.
I got to ride it today and it's better than I had hoped. Grin from ear to ear.

Why did you have to say that? Now I'm going to be looking for 200/230 parts bikes...

Edited by mx4god
  • Like 1

I have run into a couple of issues with the WP 43mm fork.

First off is leaking badly from the rebound adjuster on the left side.  I havent done a full rebuild on them, so it could be an o-ring or possibly an assembly error at some point in the past.  Second is the travel of the fork is 10 5/8" which is more than I planned on, and the tire rubs the fender at full compression.  I may need to limit travel a bit, or drop the legs in the clamps a little.  Third is the springs are way too soft.  Slavens racing lists springs for this fork, so I will be adding those shortly.  I'm trying to decide between the .42 and .44 springs.

Once I get these things ironed out I can start to play with vavling.

Off topic but where I ride sight distances are short and head ons happens, and a bright headlight can provide some help.  I like the  headlight shell on your bike. What brand?

I think I paid $7 for that light on eBay from China. It has that old incandescent bulb in it, but I swap it out for a bright LED bulb.
I can see if I can find the info. I wasn't expecting much with how cheap it was, but the quality is actually decent.

I can't recall who suggested it, but for the fork springs, you could go with the spring rate that is 2 steps stiffer (or softer), then you could have the option to put one stock/original spring back in one fork if it is too stiff. That would essentially give you 3 options for spring rates with just two sets of springs.

As for the headlight mod, I think I did a similar mod with my KTM 200. I bought a knock-off KTM headlight and modified the bulb base with an $18 LED H4 bulb that worked on AC power.

• Like 1

IMG_0845.JPG
This thing has turned out pretty great. I put some .44 springs that I bought from Slavens racing. Skf seals and bushings. 5wt oil with 110mm air gap. The 230 engine is a sweet heart and the e-start is pretty cool. I have all ready been in a few off camber situations that would have sucked to have to kick it.

Chad, thats a bad ass bike now! I'd love to have a bigger cc motor in my xr200r, the bike feels great under me, but the added power would be wonderful!

So the 200 motor can be built to a 240cc? Who sells the kits to do that? Bumping the 230 to a 270 would be nice too. 

Where is it you live and ride? I'd love having somewhere like in your videos to ride, looks like a lot of fun.

Daniel 

Chad, thats a bad ass bike now! I'd love to have a bigger cc motor in my xr200r, the bike feels great under me, but the added power would be wonderful!
So the 200 motor can be built to a 240cc? Who sells the kits to do that? Bumping the 230 to a 270 would be nice too. 
Where is it you live and ride? I'd love having somewhere like in your videos to ride, looks like a lot of fun.
Daniel 

Terry Miller aka teamrude is your one stop shop for Honda two valve madness. My 218 motor pulls harder than this 230 lump right now, but I will give it some more power in the coming year.

+1 on the pulling power of the Powroll 218 motor, only 5cc short of a 230 but with 11:1 compression and a high lift Torque cam. But big bore, high compression, and cams are avail from Terry for the 230 motor.

Edited by Chuck.

Don't wanna get too far off subject and steal the thread so I'll be quick. How much would a Powroll 218 setup cost? And I guess their website isn't run anymore so how can I get info on their products? 

7 minutes ago, Daniel627 said:

Don't wanna get too far off subject and steal the thread so I'll be quick. How much would a Powroll 218 setup cost? And I guess their website isn't run anymore so how can I get info on their products? 

It has been a few years since I last did a Powroll 218 build, but you can message Teamrude and ask for current prices. My last one was about  $500  but used a stock XR cam. The previous one included the Powroll Torque Cam and was more money at about 800-900 dollars, but that included all of the parts.

A bit pricey but the performance is night and day compared to a 200. Powroll dyno charts show power gains that far exceed the increase in displacement. Because of the lighter weight of a 200 compared to a XR250 you will have better performance than a XR250R.  IMO the best engine mods for a XR200 and the best option for a serious technical trail bike. I have several threads on improving XR200 performance for trail riding, and there is a sticky thread at the top that has a lot of links.

Awesome, thanks again. Yeah I've read a bunch of your posts in the past before I ever joined TT, I should go back and read again

Chadzu,

Well done, very impressive, very impressive indeed.

Michael 

FAIL, upon further reflection it appears that this is a terrible place to put the battery.
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG

• Helpful 1

Oh damn! That's not good. Is there room to maybe cut down the depth of the box and set the battery into the airbox some? Only other place I could think of is under the seat somehow. I'd say maybe even cut a spot out of the seat pan to tuck it up there, but since you cut down your seat foam, that probably wouldn't work too well. Hope you can get it figured out