OHV help....

I am confused about the OHV regulations and need help...

I am planning to ride across country and will be going through many states, so is there a National OHV Stamp?  Do I even need a OHV sticker?  I ask this because on a past ride I just wanted to camp at a state campground and was told that I needed to have a plate from the that state or a drivers license from that state or I could not camp there.  This was when I was doing a cross country bicycle trip and so I can only imagine what kind of crap I would get if I was on an enduro.  This happened twice and once a person that was camping there came to my aide and said that I could stay on his site as he was allowed two tents per site.  The second time it happened I told the park person that I was not going to leave unless they let me stay.  They finally agreed and let me rent a tent site.  

So now I am planning a long trip across the US and will be wanting to ride on OHV trails.  So it is obvious that I cannot be a licensed driver in every state I go through, nor can I afford to buy OHV stickers in every state I ride in.  So whats the deal?  There are so many OHV trails across the country and when I search the internet I find that all the hits I get are for each individual state.

So can I not ride OHV trails while I am on my trip?  I can get a National Parks Pass that lets me get into every National Park for one fee...so is there an equivalent for OHV?

Thanks

Edited by Old Vagabond

Oh this is going to be a good thread....

So it is obvious that I cannot be a licensed driver in every state I go through, nor can I afford to buy OHV stickers in every state I ride in.  So whats the deal?

Uhh, wut. :banghead:   How can you not be a licensed driver in all states? Are you licensed at all?  And if you cant afford OHV stickers, how will you afford a cross country trip? CO's is $25, if you take a relatively direct route, you're only looking at maybe $400 in OHV fees.  Fees that help keep the places you're wanting to go open.  My CO OHV sticker is good anywhere in the state, and good for a year (Not from purchase date though, more things you need to keep in mind).  I've never heard of requiring local stickers, but I've only ever rode natonal parks.  I couldnt imagine other states (aside from maybe CA and NY) would be different.

Unless you follow the laws, you cant do much of anything.  Or dont complain when you get caught. And imagine the amount of fees you'd get if you are to break the laws instead of paying the "Pay to play" fees up front.

Dont forget that along with OHV, many states have different DOT requirements.  IE Colorado doesnt require turn signals on plated dirt bikes - Utah does. Even on OHV trials, if youre plated, youre required to have signals.  So be sure to plan accordingly for that as well.

You seem to have failed to understand my post at all....in fact it is so scrambled it's hard to respond to.  I have no intention of breaking any laws nor paying $400 or more...for a cross country ride.  I am a licensed driver...duh..yes.  My understanding is that if you are from Colorado you can only get a OHV sticker in Colorado.  If you went to Utah I doubt they would even let you get a sticker, as from what I understand is that you vehicle would need to be licensed in that state in order to get a OHV permit.  

So I guess there is no Federal OHV stamp?  This must be a tough question.  I will seek an answer in another forum.  

I am confused about the OHV regulations and need help...

I am planning to ride across country and will be going through many states, so is there a National OHV Stamp?  Do I even need a OHV sticker?  I ask this because on a past ride I just wanted to camp at a state campground and was told that I needed to have a plate from the that state or a drivers license from that state or I could not camp there.  This was when I was doing a cross country bicycle trip and so I can only imagine what kind of crap I would get if I was on an enduro.  This happened twice and once a person that was camping there came to my aide and said that I could stay on his site as he was allowed two tents per site.  The second time it happened I told the park person that I was not going to leave unless they let me stay.  They finally agreed and let me rent a tent site.  

So now I am planning a long trip across the US and will be wanting to ride on OHV trails.  So it is obvious that I cannot be a licensed driver in every state I go through, nor can I afford to buy OHV stickers in every state I ride in.  So whats the deal?  There are so many OHV trails across the country and when I search the internet I find that all the hits I get are for each individual state.

So can I not ride OHV trails while I am on my trip?  I can get a National Parks Pass that lets me get into every National Park for one fee...so is there an equivalent for OHV?

Thanks

So, I grasp what you are asking, unlike others here. The main issue that you will run into is that individual states usually run their own ORV systems/permitting. With that being said, the fees for ORV stickers will vary, just like the terrain from different states. I think that it is going to be one of the situations that you might be selecting which states to avoid and which ones to ride, due to having to purchase orv stickers from multiple states. In Michigan, for instance, the dual orv/trail permits that are required will set you back 36.25, but the amount of trails in the northern part of the state are worth the price of admission (make sure to invest in some hand shields/bark buster style for the trails and for wind deflection). So, if no one has mentioned the TAT, it sounds like that is actually the "cross country" route that you are planning on doing. If you aren't familiar with what the TAT is, it is just an acronym for the Trans-American Trail. It is a mapped dual sport trail, that...well... goes across a good amount of the contiguous lower 48. I would also suggest that you jump onto advrider.com, they have an exhaustive amount of threads detailing the trip that you want to do.

You seem to have failed to understand my post at all....in fact it is so scrambled it's hard to respond to.  I have no intention of breaking any laws nor paying $400 or more...for a cross country ride.  I am a licensed driver...duh..yes.  My understanding is that if you are from Colorado you can only get a OHV sticker in Colorado.  If you went to Utah I doubt they would even let you get a sticker, as from what I understand is that you vehicle would need to be licensed in that state in order to get a OHV permit.  

So I guess there is no Federal OHV stamp?  This must be a tough question.  I will seek an answer in another forum. 

Then you have done zero research.  A 5 second search gives me https://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/off-highway-vehicles/ohv-registration-and-permits/ and http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx - Both have VERY clear links to how to obtain, and the cost, of an OHV permit for both In state and out of state residence.  Common sense would tell you (especially with Moab in Utah) that out of staters can obtain OHV stickers.

A quick re-read of the Utah one even reveals that some states may offer reciprocity. Maybe instead of asking a bunch of people online, you should contact Parks and Wildlife and ask them? I mean they only do this for a living...

No theres no federal OHV stamp. Its not a tough question... its just not what you wanted to hear.

Edited by Thump_Stump

When I enquired with the state of Utah about OHV registration a couple of weeks ago, this is the reply I received: "If your motorcycle is registered as a street legal motorcycle, and has all of the street legal equipment Utah requires, then you won't have to register it here in Utah."

It is worth to ask the states you plan to ride. My impression is that if a bike is not street legal nor registered, you will need an permit. I've been checked in Colorado and had the proper registration, so it was a non-issue for me.

If you are riding trails with a plated bike in colorado you still need to purchase an OHV permit. The plate give you access to ride the roads anywhere a car can go, but on any designated trail in USFS land or BLM you will need a permit. It's a funding issue since all the OHV sticker money goes back to maintain and build trails

On 9/10/2016 at 6:30 AM, orangyktmthing said:

Trans-American Trail

Oh man!

On 9/10/2016 at 9:37 PM, Thump_Stump said:

Then you have done zero research.  A 5 second search gives me https://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/off-highway-vehicles/ohv-registration-and-permits/ and http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx - Both have VERY clear links to how to obtain, and the cost, of an OHV permit for both In state and out of state residence.  Common sense would tell you (especially with Moab in Utah) that out of staters can obtain OHV stickers.

A quick re-read of the Utah one even reveals that some states may offer reciprocity. Maybe instead of asking a bunch of people online, you should contact Parks and Wildlife and ask them? I mean they only do this for a living...

No theres no federal OHV stamp. Its not a tough question... its just not what you wanted to hear.

Man, you sure told him.