mx Lighting Kit

Has anyone had an experience fitting a headlight and taillight on a mx bike on a KTM sxf? I've purchased a kit which includes all the wiring looms and fittings however unsure where to feed these through on the stator feed. The bike doesn't have a battery and the kit doesn't require a battery fitted.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I did it earlier this year on my 13' 450 SX-F. It was a pain in the dick!

The better move it to just get an XCF, W or EXC, but I couldn't find a good deal on one I liked. Albeit, it is amazing to have a street-legal MX bike. I swapped sprockets to handle better in tight trails, which was easy. The electrical work was way more than met the eye. 

Note: Most of these headaches are because the SX isn't setup to accommodate such mods. 

1. Had to buy the EXC rear fender for the LED tail light kit to fit. The LED under fender rear kit I bought does not fit the SX rear fender. There may be some that do, though. 
  2. The stock stator for SX doesn't output enough to run any of the HID or good headlights. I think it's either 30-watt or 40. LED use less power, and I liked/bought the Baja Designs Squadron Pro LED headlight. They're nice, lightweight, 4 sets of very bright LEDs (4,300 Utilizing 4 Cree XM-L2 LEDs). 
  3. The Squadron Pro draws 42-watts by itself, plus tail light, plus radiator fan, plus trailtech gauge, required me to upgrade to a 70-watt stator. I was told the SXs can't handle the 110-watt, so 70 was the most I could get. Plenty for the LED lamps. The trailtech gauges draw virtually nothing. Rad fan uses significant draw. 
  4. I didn't have to do this, but if you have an older bike (perhaps before 2010), you may need to get the DC power conversion kit, too. 
  5. Also had to get the EXC front fender because the SX fender doesn't have post holes for a head light housing.
  6. Had to buy a $40 special wiring harness for the light b/c the bike didn't have the proper stock wiring.  
  7. You'll be running quite a bit of wiring & harnesses. While in there, upgrade your battery to the best. If you don't have a battery, you must not have the e-start or EFI. I bet adding a battery under the seat will be tricky, but just guessing here.  
  8. I bought the TT gauge that reads volts rather than RPMs. I felt that was crucial given I don't have a kick start, and am running the Rekluse, which means bump starting is not immediately available. I want to know if the power system is draining even a tick. 
  9. Not sure if you want to ride on tarmac, or what laws are in Australia. I also had to / wanted to get the best mirror I could. Got the fold down Doubletake. Pricey, but awesome. 
  10. Had to buy and install a rear brake switch. Not sure if that came with your kit. Didn't get the front brake switch – because I was tired of wiring shit. 
  11. I also didn't install the high/low beam switch for the same reason. Headlight on is good enough for my needs. 
  12. Also needed the license plate holder. Not expensive, easiest bit of all of this. But that meant I also needed (by law) the light/bulb to illuminate the license plate. Not bad, but another pigtail to f with. 
  13. The four bolts on the inside of the stator cover from factory are very hard to remove. If you're not a master wrencher, you will likely damage the bolts and probably the stator cover itself. Take it to dealer or person that knows how to get them off without issue. New stator cover is $100+. 
  14. Then, there's the lame horn situation. I did not put a freggin horn on. But, I'm not using this as a commuter or pub-hopper. I wanted it streeted for forest / fire roads, the occasion asphalt need, ability to ride anywhere when required. I seriously doubt ranger will give a crap or ever ding me, on a dirt forest road, for not having a horn. 

This is why I say just get yourself an XCF or EXC. I too, thought it'd be fairly simple to add the street kit to the SX based off some things I read, and the sales pitches for the "Kits" that are available. I'm really happy with my bike now, but I also spent more than I'd like to admit to make it happen – both in cash and effort. 

I'm not too savvy with electrical work, so I had more costs in labor for help. Not dealer shop rates, but still lots of hours. 

Pics attached of before, during and after. 

Good luck!

Day1.JPG

MynameisMudd.jpg

prepareforstreet.JPG

tinkering & drinkering.JPG

Edited by JustTakeItEasy

Has anyone had an experience fitting a headlight and taillight on a mx bike on a KTM sxf? I've purchased a kit which includes all the wiring looms and fittings however unsure where to feed these through on the stator feed. The bike doesn't have a battery and the kit doesn't require a battery fitted.

Cheers

Have you considered simply mounting a LED light to your bike or helmet instead? Depending on your needs, these may be two excellent low hassle options. I just ordered one myself for evening trail riding, plus it's more convenient and flexible to have it on your helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1JC894/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/57950/Task-Racing-Moto-Adventure-Helmet-Light-2016?term=task+headlight

Have you considered simply mounting a LED light to your bike or helmet instead? Depending on your needs, these may be two excellent low hassle options. I just ordered one myself for evening trail riding, plus it's more convenient and flexible to have it on your helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1JC894/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/57950/Task-Racing-Moto-Adventure-Helmet-Light-2016?term=task+headlight

tk2stroke's solution is way easier if you simply want light to ride off road. You can light it up pretty well, fairly cheaply. I used to rig one on my old CRF450, and now I still carry an LED helmet light in my pack on long rides for safe measure. Isn't street legal in states, but will do the job on trail at night. 

• Like 1

Where is the battery pack mounted? Side of helmet?

The battery pack is separate from the light. It comes with an extension cord that is long enough to be placed in a back pack or fanny pack. While the battery pack in about 3 inches ling by 2 inches wide & high and could be mounted to the helmet, I wear a back pack on trail rides and would simply leave it inside.

The battery pack is separate from the light. It comes with an extension cord that is long enough to be placed in a back pack or fanny pack. While the battery pack in about 3 inches ling by 2 inches wide & high and could be mounted to the helmet, I wear a back pack on trail rides and would simply leave it inside.

Let's me know how you like it, I might go this route. Thanks.

They're good enough to get you out of the bush, but nowhere good enough to actually put some throttle into it.

For technical woods riding I'm hoping it will suffice. For higher speeds I imagine you would need a LED light bar at the very least.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm looking to set up my 2013 KTM 450 sxf for night trail riding, don't need fender lights, blinkers, etc. and don't want to spend 300 on a BD set up but hoping to get some feedback before I start buying things that dont work. 

I plan to get a couple battery powered helmet mount lights that are spotlights and a couple amazon LED flood pods to mount on my handle bars. I think the spot/flood combo would provide ample light and still be less in costs. I'm ok with a cheap amazon bar light because if it fails I can use the helmet light to get me out and replace the bar light for $30.

What do I need to do to make my bike compatible with for the LED light pods? If anyone has kept the stock stator how has it worked for you? What's the max amp/watt I can run without running down my battery? (Currently using a shorai lithium iron) Do I need some sort of rectifier? Or is that only for the older bikes? Can I hook right into the stator or will I have to run it thru the battery? If my bike is off the bar lights will be off.

My experience with all of this is limited so any info helps. Thanks