How much can you lower DR-Z400SM

I don't know exactly how low the seat height can go, but you have a couple of options. You can get a seat concepts seat with the low profile that lowers it by an inch or two, I have one and it's great. Much more comfortable. You can also get some new dog bones to pull the bike down further. The only issues with these is that it will tweak the geometry, but bad geometry is better than no bike. I think some guys also raise their forks a bit to help fix the geometry and lower the bike some more. It's doable at your height, just going to be more difficult. I'm 5'8" and with the stock bike I can tip toe it around. You'd most likely only be one footing it lowered. Good luck!

I don't know exactly how low the seat height can go, but you have a couple of options. You can get a seat concepts seat with the low profile that lowers it by an inch or two, I have one and it's great. Much more comfortable. You can also get some new dog bones to pull the bike down further. The only issues with these is that it will tweak the geometry, but bad geometry is better than no bike. I think some guys also raise their forks a bit to help fix the geometry and lower the bike some more. It's doable at your height, just going to be more difficult. I'm 5'8" and with the stock bike I can tip toe it around. You'd most likely only be one footing it lowered. Good luck!

Thanks. And currently I have a 1986 Honda XL250L and I can get one foot down a little more than tip toe. So if I could almost flat foot or flat foot on one foot, I think I'd be alright. But as a side note, does anybody know of any short sumos? Bigger than a 250 though.

Most long travel motorcycles can be lowered 2 inches in the suspension before running into trouble. That is lowering the suspension internally to restrict travel.  So 1 to 2 inches in the seal and 2 inches in the suspension.  3 to 4  inches total.

Most long travel motorcycles can be lowered 2 inches in the suspension before running into trouble. That is lowering the suspension internally to restrict travel. So 1 to 2 inches in the seal and 2 inches in the suspension. 3 to 4 inches total.

Alright, thanks. What is the stock seat height of the SM's?

Most long travel motorcycles can be lowered 2 inches in the suspension before running into trouble. That is lowering the suspension internally to restrict travel. So 1 to 2 inches in the seal and 2 inches in the suspension. 3 to 4 inches total.

Hey so I looked it up and the stock seat height for the DR-Z400SM is 35in. So you're saying I can lower it as much as down to 31in?

I have a 2003 CRF150F and it's stock seat height is 32.5in and it has a stronger shock spring in it so it's actually a little higher. I fit on it alright. So I can probably get a DR-Z400SM down to what I want, right?

About how much do you think that would cost me? (Just a guess within a few hundred dollars)

Geez,  I really have no idea what a shop would charge.  I did mine myself & I would say it was a intermediate-advanced job skills wise.

If I had to guess I think...

Forks--  Parts $150  Labor $150

Shock-- Parts $30   Labor $150

Purely speculative.....

• Like 2

Lowering a bike is totally dependent on where and how you ride.  Most street bikes have just under 6 inches of travel, so "really" if you were going to just ride on asphalt then you "could" drop the suspension 6 inches from stock and be fine.  At 5'3" I would seriously consider lower the suspension internally 3" on both ends.  Also, the SM wheels will reduce the seat height by another 1.5 inches if I remember correctly. 

I've tried a Kouba lowering link on my former DRZ but really didn't like it, made the travel to soft (I bottom a lot with it).

Call some of your local suspension shops about lowering a DRZ 3" and see what they charge.  If they've done it before there's a chance that it could be done for under $200 (both ends) ~ assuming that the seals and bushings are still in good condition.

Edited by zig06

Lowering a bike is totally dependent on where and how you ride. Most street bikes have just under 6 inches of travel, so "really" if you were going to just ride on asphalt then you "could" drop the suspension 6 inches from stock and be fine. At 5'3" I would seriously consider lower the suspension internally 3" on both ends. Also, the SM wheels will reduce the seat height by another 1.5 inches if I remember correctly.

I've tried a Kouba lowering link on my former DRZ but really didn't like it, made the travel to soft (I bottom a lot with it).

Call some of your local suspension shops about lowering a DRZ 3" and see what they charge. If they've done it before there's a chance that it could be done for under $200 (both ends) ~ assuming that the seals and bushings are still in good condition.

I'd expect to pay $500 if you bring the forks/shock in off the bike. I'd have new springs installed at the same time (if needed for your weight) and valving done, too. That'll up the cost a couple/few hundred but will be the best mod you ever do to the bike.

Probably close.

Geez, I really have no idea what a shop would charge. I did mine myself & I would say it was a intermediate-advanced job skills wise.

If I had to guess I think...

Forks-- Parts $150 Labor $150

Shock-- Parts $30 Labor $150

Purely speculative.....

Alright, thanks guys. I'll call in to some shops around my area. My backup plan is to get something like an FZ-07.

Alright, thanks guys. I'll call in to some shops around my area. My backup plan is to get something like an FZ-07.

Another option would be a DR650, that's what I did when I got sick of my DRZ's seat height.  There's a factory option to lower those "about" 1.5 inches and with their short initial seat height I really do like it better than my DRZ (please don't flame me!).  Now if your flipping between a DRZ and a FZ-07 then you need to really decide how you plan on riding before buying.  I'd only consider a DRZsm if I planned on hitting asphalt AND gravel roads.  The FZ-07 is a nice bike but I'd never take one on a gravel road, unless I really had to ~ once or twice, that's it. 

Another option would be a DR650, that's what I did when I got sick of my DRZ's seat height. There's a factory option to lower those "about" 1.5 inches and with their short initial seat height I really do like it better than my DRZ (please don't flame me!). Now if your flipping between a DRZ and a FZ-07 then you need to really decide how you plan on riding before buying. I'd only consider a DRZsm if I planned on hitting asphalt AND gravel roads. The FZ-07 is a nice bike but I'd never take one on a gravel road, unless I really had to ~ once or twice, that's it.

Oh hell no. I'd never take take it off pavement unless I had to. But I have a separate off-road bike. The only reason I wanted a sumo in the first place is because I love the style and all my friends who ride, ride sumos.

Oh hell no. I'd never take take it off pavement unless I had to. But I have a separate off-road bike. The only reason I wanted a sumo in the first place is because I love the style and all my friends who ride, ride sumos.

Fair enough.  If you do go with a DRZ it's definitely worth the time and surf over to ProCycle (https://procycle.us/bikepages/drz400.html ), but use caution, it's real easy to max out a credit card!!

I'm 5'4" and I got the Seat Concepts low seat and #3 kouba link on my drzS. Raised forks with risers too. Despite all the warnings, it's fine. In large part due to the fact that I'm only 120 lbs. your weight and how you ride will factor in big time. Quotes I got for internal lowering were $800 and $1000. Maybe one day....

I'm 5'4" and I got the Seat Concepts low seat and #3 kouba link on my drzS. Raised forks with risers too. Despite all the warnings, it's fine. In large part due to the fact that I'm only 120 lbs. your weight and how you ride will factor in big time. Quotes I got for internal lowering were $800 and $1000. Maybe one day....

How much did lowering it cost you? And do you have any pics of the bike? I'd like to see how it sits

How much did lowering it cost you? And do you have any pics of the bike? I'd like to see how it sits

The Seats Concepts seat was a birthday present from my pal, I bought kouba links off flea market for $40, bar risers were $30 and I just bought a SM kickstand for $50 off eBay. Shorter kickstand is a must - could have cut and welded but now I have the stocker for any future sale. Haven't put it on yet as I'm away at the moment so no pix. So, a lot less than $800 for doing the suspension. I may do that one day, but at my weight, the suspension is just fine. YMMV. Just bought new DID chain and sprockets, new rubber is next up so my wallet is light. Just Scored a yoshi exhaust off flea market too so now I need a carb kit as well. The fun never ends....