Lectron feedback/opinions?

Considering going Lectron to void having to rejet so much (Western Colorado and Utah, extremes in temp and altitude)  and to perhaps get some more MPGs.

My main concerns is that I don't want to lose any performance. My 2014 TE250 (250 xcw motor) runs great with sx head and has lots of torque, and snap when I need it without being overly "twitchy" (no big hit)

Will I still retain the grunt and the snap to lift the front wheel with the lectron?

Other thoughts?

Considering going Lectron to void having to rejet so much (Western Colorado and Utah, extremes in temp and altitude)  and to perhaps get some more MPGs.

My main concerns is that I don't want to lose any performance. My 2014 TE250 (250 xcw motor) runs great with sx head and has lots of torque, and snap when I need it without being overly "twitchy" (no big hit)

Will I still retain the grunt and the snap to lift the front wheel with the lectron?

Other thoughts?

The highest I've taken my Lectron equipped 300 is 9k and it worked great (I'm normally down in the 1500-2000 range). If you are wanting to not lose performance then you're out of luck, you're gonna lose something no matter what at high elevation. The trick is to keep the air/fuel as optimum as possible. The lectron does an excellent job of this.

Just an example, I did 91 miles from 7500-9k ft a few weeks ago and averaged 36mpg. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Lectron.

• Like 1

The highest I've taken my Lectron equipped 300 is 9k and it worked great (I'm normally down in the 1500-2000 range). If you are wanting to not lose performance then you're out of luck, you're gonna lose something no matter what at high elevation. The trick is to keep the air/fuel as optimum as possible. The lectron does an excellent job of this.

Just an example, I did 91 miles from 7500-9k ft a few weeks ago and averaged 36mpg. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Lectron.

Thanks for the info and great MPGs! Just to be clear: I am not referring to losing power due to higher elevation. I am concerned and have heard a bit about the power being "flat" and a little to electric feeling with the lectron. I love that my 250 can get the front up just about anytime with just a bounce and twist of the throttle. It's fun and it's how I have learned to ride.

Will the lectron still give that "snap" and grunt I get from my Keihin does when its properly jetted?

Thanks for the info and great MPGs! Just to be clear: I am not referring to losing power due to higher elevation. I am concerned and have heard a bit about the power being "flat" and a little to electric feeling with the lectron. I love that my 250 can get the front up just about anytime with just a bounce and twist of the throttle. It's fun and it's how I have learned to ride.

Will the lectron still give that "snap" and grunt I get from my Keihin does when its properly jetted?

Oh, of course. You'll have so much snap but it will feel electric since there are no circuits, just one continuous flow of power.

• Like 1

Love mine. Would not ride without it. Absolute perfect fueling straight through. The throttle response is instant and pulls forever. Can ride mx or woods. Coffee plugs and not a drop of oil out the silencer. Unload the bike at the track after a week sitting, pull the choke and starts first kick. Best mod any two stroke owner could make unless your environment NEVER changes. My bike was sensitive to a 10* temp variance and no elevation change. She was a finicky beotch for sure.

Edited by garce250sx
  • Like 2

Run a Lectron on my 13 Beta 300, have the Kehein on my 09 KTM 300. The KTM does have more hit as there's a lower (pilot) circuit.

The Beta with the Lectron is no slouch, but has a more linear electric feel, but it certainly comes alive. I've ridden lots at altitudes up to 11K

and it performed flawlessly. I estimate that my mileage is 35ish mpg. When I was running a 2.5 gallon tank I hit reserve at 80 plus miles, now have a 3.1 gal 

tank, once went 135 miles without hitting reserve.

By far the best mod I've done, and one of the few that actually delivered on the promise.

I don't have to deal with elevation, but my bike runs the same (great) wether it's 90 degrees, or 30 degrees.

The mileage is an added bonus, easily 35-40 mpg.

Yes, IMO, you could lose snap since the two or three bikes I tried them on (a few demo rides of others' bikes) had less snap than ones I've ridden with the Keihin. I considered it for my Husky WR300. Rode one with the Lectron and the starting was not improved. That was a horrible bike to try and start hot or cold regardless of jetting or carburetor brand. Fond memories of selling that bike. 

Well, decided to keep the bike for a while and bought a Lectron. Will ride some technical stuff Tuesday and will report back. Thanks all.

36.66 mpg is my average, with a keihin carburetor. 12 KTM 300 xc.

Wow. That's impressive. I get about 28, same as my 06 300. I am a throttle twister though. My 350 with EFI could get 42-45 under similar conditions. but it wasn't a two stroke!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, lots of love here for the lectron, I'm looking for more low end from 09 250 xc. Would this be the way to go? Currently my bike is jetted perfect with no issues, just want more bottom...

I would not add the lectron for bottom end. It does smooth the power and I like it, but first I think you need the ideal motor set up.

I would do the following In order and from experience

300 kit ($750 on sale with Munn during Holidays on KTM talk), but if you want to keep it a 250

Fresh Piston if less than 90-100 hours ($200 if you do the work)

Head mod ($100 including shipping)

Up one on rear sprocket

"Snap" or similiar wing intake thingy

Gnarly pipe

I would not add the lectron for bottom end. It does smooth the power and I like it, but first I think you need the ideal motor set up.

I would do the following In order and from experience

300 kit ($750 on sale with Munn during Holidays on KTM talk), but if you want to keep it a 250

Fresh Piston if less than 90-100 hours ($200 if you do the work)

Head mod ($100 including shipping)

Up one on rear sprocket

"Snap" or similiar wing intake thingy

Gnarly pipe

Thanks for feed back. The 300 I know will do it, I've had 300's and loved them but wanted to try a 250 this time around. My top end is fresh and I've had good luck in the past with Gnarly pipes, this bike came with a Enduro Engineering pipe and I haven't had much luck finding out what that pipes built for (lowend or all around power) Calling EE wasn't much help. The head mod I've considered, is that just an SX head like from Munn or Slavens? If u know anything about the Gnarly pipe vs the EE I'm all ears or any additional info on the head mod before I order it up I appreciate it. And thanks for the info on the lectron, I will cross that off the list, for now anyway. [emoji106]

Head mod raises compression level. BEST bang for the buck mod. You could buy SX or Slavens head with likely similar results. Do a search and  you will find folks that will "shave" the head for about $70. I would highly recommend doing that before spending money on a new pipe. Adding the pipe would be next step, and they might together get you what you need but try the head mod first.

I didn't know EE made pipes? They don't list them on their site currently.

You running stock gearing?

• Like 1

Well, decided to keep the bike for a while and bought a Lectron. Will ride some technical stuff Tuesday and will report back. Thanks all.

How did it run?

Any hickups?

Local seller has a used 36 mm Lectron for sale. How much should a used Lectron 36 mm carb cost? What are you guys paying for a new one?

I see that some (like 2stroke nut) run the 38 mm.

I ride SoCal, so I'm generally more on the pipe than others, but I still ride the power from top to bottom, especially when the track is baked.

I didn't know EE made pipes? They don't list them on their site currently.

You running stock gearing?

I don't think EE makes them anymore, probably why I didn't get much info on the phone. Gearing I'm 1 tooth up in the rear. Does it matter which year SX head I order? I "think" 08-16 will fit but I think but 13-16 has a different part#. What are your thoughts on the SX cdi box? Motosport has both the oem head and cdi on sale for a very reasonable price... again, I really appreciate your help.[emoji106]