350 EXC-F for dual sport?

Like to get some feedback using a 350 EXC-f for mainly secondary roads and trail riding with tight single track.

also, random interstate <20 miles to trails.

What year did they start with fuel injection?

Any years stand out for better or worse? 

Edited by AXAxiom

Like to get some feedback using a 350 EXC-f for mainly secondary roads and trail riding with tight single track.

I remember researching for days and nights before picking up my shiny new bike. You shoudl do the same! www.google.com

I remember researching for days and nights before picking up my shiny new bike. You shoudl do the same! www.google.com

So Richard, what you are telling me is a KTM forum is not a viable resource when searching for information on a KTM.

I could come to a conclusion based on your remarks but that would be unfair to the general population of this community  

Edited by AXAxiom
  • Like 1

I believe 2012 was the first year fuel injection.. as for street application I think it's good for an occasional street crossing and short trips.. both 350 and 500EXC true hard core Enduro dirt bikes with street capabilities ..

• Like 1

The 350 is a great bike for dual sport. The only issue you may run into is gearing... If you have it geared to be on tight single track, the interstate may be a bit fast. Definitely too

light for the interstate IMO.

The 350 was introduced in 2011 with fuel injection. The only issues with the 350 I've heard of were the 2011 SX's had bad fuel pumps.

My buddy has a 2013 and from what I hear, they have only been getting better and better.

• Like 1

My brother has a 12 350 sxf, he has modded the bike for enduro (suspension, counter weight ), his gearing is 14/51 or 13/51 (can't remember). we never ride more the 10 km on highways because of the fact we try to save the tyres make them last longer. being that said you can hit the asphalt and cruise around the 80 or 90 km/h mark without a problem. if we want to get to places or trails that that are more than a 10 min ride/drive we rather load the bikes on the truck.

I think they started selling the 350 sxf in 2011, It's pretty known that first production year has it's flaws and they keep correcting/upgrading things on the years to come. EXC,XCF,XCFW they all started selling them in 2012 (good year to get a bike) and they all come with fuel injection. if you ask me i would't buy 2011, instead i would get 2012 or newer. 

I hope this help you.

• Like 1

My brother has a 12 350 sxf, he has modded the bike for enduro (suspension, counter weight ), his gearing is 14/51 or 13/51 (can't remember). we never ride more the 10 km on highways because of the fact we try to save the tyres make them last longer. being that said you can hit the asphalt and cruise around the 80 or 90 km/h mark without a problem. if we want to get to places or trails that that are more than a 10 min ride/drive we rather load the bikes on the truck.

I think they started selling the 350 sxf in 2011, It's pretty known that first production year has it's flaws and they keep correcting/upgrading things on the years to come. EXC,XCF,XCFW they all started selling them in 2012 (good year to get a bike) and they all come with fuel injection. if you ask me i would't buy 2011, instead i would get 2012 or newer. 

I hope this help you.

Thanks for the info

I'll be sure to look 2012 & newer 

I owned the 2011 350 Sx F for 5 years,, had no problem with fuel pump.But did have a recall on the crank bearings and was upgraded at n/c to a electrical plug in harness that did something with the injection. I  purchased it in Aug 2010 and used it for woods riding only. In May of 2011, the 2011 XC F was released. I wish I had waited for this model.(it had a bigger tank and headlight) Then in 2012 the exc xc and Sx had motor upgrades were KTM increased the motor 7 horse power.

I'm now thinking of purchasing the 2016 or 17 EXC in the spring .. 350 is the way to go, I rode a friends,for 2 days, off road last week. It was awesome.

• Like 1

It will depend on the type of riding you will mainly spend more time doing. I've had both a 350EXC and now a 501 (same as a 500EXC). For me the 350 didn't have the power for the areas I rode, and if I geared it down to help in that dept (13/52) it killed the dual sport aspect.

The 350 wants to be ridden in the higher rpm range. It doesn't lug down low as well as a 500 does with the ability to then twist the throttle without needing some help with the clutch. You just end up doing more shifting with a 350.

That's my experience for the areas I ride in. I like to use the 80/20 rule. By a bike for the terrain you will be riding 80% of the time, you will just have to make due for the other 20% but you will enjoy the bike better.

• Like 2

I would like to replace the CR250, I have it set up for trails and it does surprisingly well and even lugs well going up steep hills.

I am concerned with the 500 weight but then it's only 38 pounds heaver than the CR (350exc 28 lbs more)

I am leaning toward the 500 with the 80/20 rule but at my age (60) the 350 may be more practical....but then I can handle the CR just fine so the 500 shouldn't be too much

Edited by AXAxiom

As others have said...2012 was the first year for FI on the EXC and XCF  /  XCF-W.

I ride a 2012 XCF-W....I have not had a single problem with this bike of any kind other than crash damage and maintenance (brake pads/rotors/wheel bearings/sprockets/chains etc).

All the years have been good but in 2014 they upgraded the big end bearings which improves engine reliability. This would be a desirable upgrade if you can find one in your area.

I ride mine consistently about 15 minutes to and from the trails at 90 or so KPH (bike is plated)...with stock 13/52 gearing...no issues at all.

I ride in lots of gnarly mud, rocks and roots (southern Ontario) as well as single track. Bike is fantastic for this stuff....I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed it...this goes for one of my riding buddies as well who has a 2013 XCF-W.  Sadly KTM has discontinued the "W" machines as of 2017 so the only alternative left that is designed for trail/enduro is the EXC.

The EXC is the same motor as the XCF-W but with all the smog stuff attached, street legal lights etc, different final gearing and a leaner map. For any kind of real enduro riding I would suggest you should change the final gearing and adjust your TPS sensor so the bike will run a little richer.  I'm not sure you can do that on the '17s...I heard that they may be locking the ECU...hopefully that is not the case.  Check out tps.com to see if the tool is available for the '17.

In my humble opinion the 350 XCF-W or 350 EXC (with some mods) is the ideal bike for what you describe.

• Like 2

As others have said...2012 was the first year for FI on the EXC and XCF  /  XCF-W.

I ride a 2012 XCF-W....I have not had a single problem with this bike of any kind other than crash damage and maintenance (brake pads/rotors/wheel bearings/sprockets/chains etc).

All the years have been good but in 2014 they upgraded the big end bearings which improves engine reliability. This would be a desirable upgrade if you can find one in your area.

I ride mine consistently about 15 minutes to and from the trails at 90 or so KPH (bike is plated)...with stock 13/52 gearing...no issues at all.

I ride in lots of gnarly mud, rocks and roots (southern Ontario) as well as single track. Bike is fantastic for this stuff....I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed it...this goes for one of my riding buddies as well who has a 2013 XCF-W.  Sadly KTM has discontinued the "W" machines as of 2017 so the only alternative left that is designed for trail/enduro is the EXC.

The EXC is the same motor as the XCF-W but with all the smog stuff attached, street legal lights etc, different final gearing and a leaner map. For any kind of real enduro riding I would suggest you should change the final gearing and adjust your TPS sensor so the bike will run a little richer.  I'm not sure you can do that on the '17s...I heard that they may be locking the ECU...hopefully that is not the case.  Check out tps.com to see if the tool is available for the '17.

In my humble opinion the 350 XCF-W or 350 EXC (with some mods) is the ideal bike for what you describe.

Thanks for the info, very helpful

I road an older KTM 350 and it was so easy on rugged terrain and hills, tractor like and smooth

Edited by AXAxiom

I have a 2016 350 excf...I bought it July 9th this year...I've already put 80 hours and 2500 miles on it. Hasn't missed a beat. I've commuted to the office. (60 miles one way, 120 round trip) on the interstate (70mph+) and it's goes no problem..

• Like 2