New Beta 4.0 Gallon Tank from IMS

I like how they kept it similar to the 3.1.  Didn't make it any taller and tucked the rest under the fairings.  Great dual sport option instead of carrying multiple MSR canisters or I guess both you could go even farther!  Hopefully they make it in clear.

I wonder which, if any radiator guards will work with it. Force Accessories? It looks like probably not.

Hard to say, but I worked with the team at IMS on another project of an oversized dual sport tank, and they required that bike have radiator guards in place prior to accepting the bike to build their mock-up from. I would be highly surprised to find out otherwise with this new tank.

IMS is also famous for their lift-pumps and their reliability if necessary to pull fuel from lower parts of the tank (IF NECESSARY) not sure it is with this new style tank for the Beta's

Personally I'd be more worried about the physics of crashing with the tank taking up a larger footprint on the sides of the bike  :ride: 

As my Beta finds the area around the front of the tank and radiators its favorite place to get smashed when I crash  :facepalm:

Conjecture 1A, so far but I look forward to reading the reviews once they are released :thumbsup:

Beta USA Rally Tank.  4.0 gallon Rally Tank for those really long rides.  Retains stock radiator shrouds and comes with all necessary hardware and instructions.  2 versions available: AB-12040 fits the carburated models 2013-2015 4-stroke RR, 2014-2015 RS, and 2013+ 2-stroke RR.  AB-12041 fits the EFI models 2015 350EFI, 2016+ 4-stroke RR/RS/RR-S.  Both versions available in Black or Natural.
  • Like 2

How does it pump from down low?

I imagine the last gallon is only accessible laid over on the right side (FI models anyways).

Edited by basalt

How does it pump from down low?

from a fitting on one of the tank bottoms connected by fuel hose to the petcock on the other side (bottom).

from a fitting on one of the tank bottoms connected by fuel hose to the petcock on the other side (bottom).

That's how the smaller IMS works. My 4 gallon Clarke drains really well without a crossover. Sadly it just sets on a shelf these days. On both KTM and Beta I have went in another direction with riding these days. Short nasty technical rides and fun trail rides close to camp. Not really interested in blasting high speed sand washes and rock gardens 50 miles from the truck.

• Like 1

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

Has a linking hose and taps between the low sections, I assume the EFI pump will be on the RHS and the line from the LHS will allow fuel to transfer across (a la Husky TE310)

Natural (clear) will be available, the prototypes for the photo shoot are all black versions  

Edited by Roon
  • Like 1

I think its great that the folks at IMS built another "Larger" tank for Beta. 

While not for everybody, but for those doing Baja or super long stints between gas stops this should help many out there. 

While pleased with the IMS 3.X gallon tank presently, as it gives me enough to get through lots of long nasty stuff.

As with all IMS tanks they build a quality product!

If I ever do the District 37 Death Valley DS 2 day 350 mile ride again I will buy one of these bad boys!!!!

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 2

Anyone know if the tank will fit with the Larger radiators like Myler's ?. I would presume so because the Myler's only appears to be thicker and not wider.

Here's a few shots of the 4 gal IMS tank on my 500 RR-S. BTW, I could have sworn I posted these before in this thread but don't see them.

There's one showing the stock radiators so maybe that will help with the Myler's consideration.

20161211_181221-1.jpg

20161211_181231-1.jpg

20161211_181238-1.jpg

20161211_181247-1.jpg

20161211_181252-1.jpg

20161211_181320-1.jpg

20161211_181303-1.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 2:19 AM, danketchpel said:

Here's a few shots of the 4 gal IMS tank on my 500 RR-S. BTW, I could have sworn I posted these before in this thread but don't see them.

There's one showing the stock radiators so maybe that will help with the Myler's consideration.

20161211_181221-1.jpg

20161211_181231-1.jpg

20161211_181238-1.jpg

20161211_181247-1.jpg

20161211_181252-1.jpg

20161211_181320-1.jpg

20161211_181303-1.jpg

Dan - so what's your opinion of the 4 gallon tank after living with it? any regrets? how does the extra weight and width impact handling on and off road? I ride 20 -30 miles to get to trails enjoy some off road and may eventually add supermoto wheels. What type of range are you seeing now that the bike is broken in?

Still very much on the fence on whether to buy the 3.1 or 4.0 IMS setup... I'll probably go black purely for cosmetic reasons and track consumption via mileage but clear is cool too. Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback! Tom

Edited by MarantzManiac

Dan - so what's your opinion of the 4 gallon tank after living with it? any regrets? how does the extra weight and width impact handling on and off road? I ride 20 -30 miles to get to trails enjoy some off road and may eventually add supermoto wheels. What type of range are you seeing now that the bike is broken in?

Still very much on the fence on whether to buy the 3.1 or 4.0 IMS setup... I'll probably go black purely for cosmetic reasons and track consumption via mileage but clear is cool too. Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback! Tom

I haven't ridden a bike with the 3 gal (would love to) so it's hard to compare the difference in feel. Compared to dinky stock tank it's noticeably heavier which is to be expected. I notice the weight more pushing it around than riding.

I don't have any issues with ergos, my knees come to the area where it just starts to flair out. A taller rider might sense it more.

I ran it to 150 miles yesterday and put 3.5 gal in. Looking at the level in the tank it seemed like there was more than 1/2 gal in there but no way to know for sure without dumping it out and measuring.

I think it comes down to how much range you will expect to need. You can figure on about 40 mpg average. That last tank worked out to 42 mpg. I've seen from 38 - 42.

I do a lot of longer rides so I didn't think twice about the 4 gal and even made up a mount for one of my 1 gal rotopax jugs for my tail rack. That should give me a 200 mile range. I have another 1/2 gal jug option that fits in my tail bag which gives 180 mile range. I figure 160 miles from the tank. I think there would be a bit of reserve based on the last tank but it will depend on ride conditions.

If a 120 mile range works for you then I'd suggest the 3 gal tank.

• Like 1

OK, so I picked up a 4gal IMS tank for my '15 500RS around Thanksgiving because I found the 3.1gal tank a bit short on range for my needs.  I finally got around to installing it and am finding that nothing seems to fit.  The lower front brackets don't line up.  The tank hits the fan motor.  The support block for the backbone is clearly way too big.  Obviously, Dan has been able to make it work, but it's not clear to me how he did it.  I'm doing way too much fiddling with this thing to try to get it on.

Edited by MontereyBS