Screw Toyota and the Tacoma

My uncle's lost a piston last year.  The wrist pin bore had broken.

350k worth of abuse and missed oil changes.  Not bad.

We've only had a two failures. Both were the parts of cooling system. The water pump went out in 2007, then the entire radiator blew in 2014.

Other than that, no problems.

The heater stopped working for a while for some reason, but whatever it was went away.

We've only had a two failures. Both were the parts of cooling system. The water pump went out in 2007, then the entire radiator blew in 2014.

Other than that, no problems.

The heater stopped working for a while for some reason, but whatever it was went away.

In this case, it was two transmissions, nearly every component of the front end, and two radiators.  

Edited by BasketCaseSensitive

How about the hillux. Good car. I watched when top gear tried to destroy an OLD one and it survived. Wonder how a new one would hold up??

They are no better than any thing else. But they cost more because toyota.

Next time you think of the "unbreakable" slogan, imagine one being dragged home by a samurai to cost its owner thousands and that my friend is clever marketing.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

My current (and likely last) Toyota product is my 2007 Tacoma.......it's on it's third front differential. On the last one, they tried to blame me and asked "who installed the lift kit", I laughed, telling the jackass it was a leveling kit and it was none of his business who installed it. I also informed them the truck had the leveling kit on it the last time they put in a front differential and they never mentioned it.

What a bunch of ass clowns, they think they can treat people like that......good luck!

The problem with the front diff is the left side needle bearing that the axle rides in. Leveling kits aggravate it due to the axle angle being steepened. East coast gear makes a PTFE bushing that replaces the needle bearing and that stops the noise.

• Like 1

Have you driven another 2016 to compare? Some of these new vehicles to shift unusual. Thank the epa. They are shifting up very quick and locking the converter in every gear. They downshift every time you step on the gas. I don't like it.

Have you driven another 2016 to compare? Some of these new vehicles to shift unusual. Thank the epa. They are shifting up very quick and locking the converter in every gear. They downshift every time you step on the gas. I don't like it.

Yes, and that's not what bothers me about the transmission and its shifts. My Ranger prerunner used to have to down shift to get going due to the anemic 3.0 and extra wind resistance. The RPM flare ups, banging into gear and stutters are most likely due to low fluid from the factory that a lot of guys had.

I've been in a few different Tacomas. Some have transmission problems as well, some don't. Some have the vibration issue as well some dont, fortunately for me I don't have differential problem but others on TW are.

They are no better than any thing else. But they cost more because toyota.

Next time you think of the "unbreakable" slogan, imagine one being dragged home by a samurai to cost its owner thousands and that my friend is clever marketing.

Sounds like a BMW to me.

Yes, and that's not what bothers me about the transmission and its shifts. My Ranger prerunner used to have to down shift to get going due to the anemic 3.0 and extra wind resistance. The RPM flare ups, banging into gear and stutters are most likely due to low fluid from the factory that a lot of guys had.

I've been in a few different Tacomas. Some have transmission problems as well, some don't. Some have the vibration issue as well some dont, fortunately for me I don't have differential problem but others on TW are.

I have heard about the trans in the Toy a lot lately. But it may become an industry wide issue with these 6-8-9 speed trannys. Stupid govt bureaucrats involved in things where they are even more incompetent that normal.

• Like 1

Just saw a 83 Toyota SR5 Long bed 4x4 go for 26K at a Mecum auction. (restored)

They are going up- especially the straight axle trucks.

I was amazed at the prices when I considered one.

Should have kept my 85.

We dragged this 150k class one car in once with a sammy. (Mark Mcmillan- blown tranny)

Low range pinned.

Good times. My bud and I were hammered.

1.jpg

• Like 3

Should have kept my 85.

By the time my mate was done with his 98 it was almost a 30K Hilux.

15K purchase cost

5K on paint

5K after it did a head gasket and the head

1.3 when the front diff blew up

A few hundred here and there when CVs exploded

Ended up needing main seals too I think, so by the time he took it to the mech you can imagine how much money he saved

After he got sick of it he listed it for 10K and got no bites until he dropped his price to 8K. A sound solid toyota investment.

• Like 2

No vehicle is indestructible. All of the manufacturers have problems from time to time. As a life long mechanic, I can tell you from experience, that Toyotas are generally better than most vehicles. There will be some horror stories with any manufacturer. I can't imagine dealing with the whining and bitching of the general public as a manufacturer. They are standing behind vehicles for crazy long terms now. And I can understand the disappointment of consumers since vehicles cost so much now. While the newer vehicles have some amazing features and performance, get ready to pay a lot more in repair and get ready for some really odd problems that are very hard to fix, if they can be.fixed

I have heard about the trans in the Toy a lot lately. But it may become an industry wide issue with these 6-8-9 speed trannys. Stupid govt bureaucrats involved in things where they are even more incompetent that normal.

The issue with Toyota transmissions instead the number of gears. They're coming from the factory low on fluid and Toyota makes it damn near impossible to service the transmission yourself. This isn't a new transmission issue either, it was happiness on the second generation trucks with a 5 speed automatic as well. It's much more common on Tacomas with the tow package, like mine, with some as low as 3 quarts below full. On a system that holds 8 total(I think) it's a little concerning you can be missing almost half your fluid and not have a million warning lights. I believe the Trans itself hold six and the tow package adds another 2 quarts with additional lines and dedicated cooler.

No vehicle is indestructible. All of the manufacturers have problems from time to time. As a life long mechanic, I can tell you from experience, that Toyotas are generally better than most vehicles. There will be some horror stories with any manufacturer. I can't imagine dealing with the whining and bitching of the general public as a manufacturer. They are standing behind vehicles for crazy long terms now. And I can understand the disappointment of consumers since vehicles cost so much now. While the newer vehicles have some amazing features and performance, get ready to pay a lot more in repair and get ready for some really odd problems that are very hard to fix, if they can be.fixed

You're right that they probably deal with a lot of head aches but when a vehicle is obviously having issues and they fight tooth and nail to not deal with it in hopes a customer goes away, then they deserve to have their short handed tactics exposed. I also understand that I as a driver will have a much higher chance to experience problems than a tech on a 5 minute test drive, but the vibration issue on Tacomas isn't a once in awhike issue, it's every time the vehicle decelerates. I'm not the only one fighting with Toyota about the vehicle vibration issues. They're extremely inconsistent with fixing the problem and try to just have customers go away instead of actually fixing their &%$#@! up.

After he got sick of it he listed it for 10K and got no bites until he dropped his price to 8K. A sound solid toyota investment.

98's don't bring what the older ones do round here either.

It seems the older Land Cruiser price explosion here has bled off into the pickups.

That probably started with the older Broncos going meteoric.

One of my shops does the body and paint restorations for a Bronco company locally.

Nutso prices for these things.

The issue with Toyota transmissions instead the number of gears. They're coming from the factory low on fluid and Toyota makes it damn near impossible to service the transmission yourself. This isn't a new transmission issue either, it was happiness on the second generation trucks with a 5 speed automatic as well. It's much more common on Tacomas with the tow package, like mine, with some as low as 3 quarts below full. On a system that holds 8 total(I think) it's a little concerning you can be missing almost half your fluid and not have a million warning lights. I believe the Trans itself hold six and the tow package adds another 2 quarts with additional lines and dedicated cooler.

You're right that they probably deal with a lot of head aches but when a vehicle is obviously having issues and they fight tooth and nail to not deal with it in hopes a customer goes away, then they deserve to have their short handed tactics exposed. I also understand that I as a driver will have a much higher chance to experience problems than a tech on a 5 minute test drive, but the vibration issue on Tacomas isn't a once in awhike issue, it's every time the vehicle decelerates. I'm not the only one fighting with Toyota about the vehicle vibration issues. They're extremely inconsistent with fixing the problem and try to just have customers go away instead of actually fixing their &%$#@! up.

Trade that on a 5 spd manual. (if the tranny is your only beef)

Toyota did get smart and brought that back.

4 cyl or V6 in the 2017

https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/toyota/tacoma-pricing/2017/18827E12/

98's don't bring what the older ones do round here either.

It seems the older Land Cruiser price explosion here has bled off into the pickups.

That probably started with the older Broncos going meteoric.

One of my shops does the body and paint restorations for a Bronco company locally.

Nutso prices for these things.

I wouldnt mind a Landcruiser 60 Sahara with the 12H-T engine. Good looks, comfortable, fits your stuff and fairly strong and more power. And actual reliability. Not this depending on the toyota name shit they have these days. You can get them for around 10k. Such a better choice than a Rolux which would cost you that anyway.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by BushPig

Should have kept my 85.

Guaranteed the seller lost money at that auction.

• Like 1