Screw Toyota and the Tacoma

Which engine?

The 2.7 ecoboost. So far I'm really impressed. I traded the tacoma in for it but still have my 07 tundra. The motor on the ford is a little softer from idle to about 2000rpm but after that they feel about the same. It looks like the F150 will beat the tundra by about 3mpg too. I average 16-17 mpg in the tundra mixed driving. The ford looking like 19-20 mpg.

I was looking at the Ram eco diesel but had 3 different ram owners tell me not to buy a Ram.

• Like 2

?  Thanks. OK, I'm back to a full size Chevy with the 5.3. We have an 01 Tahoe and an 08 Yukon with the 5.3 and both get 16+ in town and 19-22 on the highway. Zero issues, 149K and 97K respectively and nothing but batteries, tires and one set of brakes on the 01. Wanted to like the Colorado since I really don't need a full size but I think Chevy blew it with the midsize. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

?  Thanks. OK, I'm back to a full size Chevy with the 5.3. We have an 01 Tahoe and an 08 Yukon with the 5.3 and both get 16+ in town and 19-22 on the highway. Zero issues, 149K and 97K respectively and nothing but batteries, tires and one set of brakes on the 01. Wanted to like the Colorado since I really don't need a full size but I think Chevy blew it with the midsize. Thanks for the info.

Even tho you don't need a full size choosing something less than that results in zero sum gain. 

• Like 1

Even tho you don't need a full size choosing something less than that results in zero sum gain. 

Nothing in the midsize area interests me.  And mpg is better in the full size Chevy. I don't want the full size but it is the best compromise at this time for ME. When the new Ranger and Dakota get here I'll take a look.

• Like 1

Nothing in the midsize area interests me.  And mpg is better in the full size Chevy. I don't want the full size but it is the best compromise at this time for ME. When the new Ranger and Dakota get here I'll take a look.

I'd like a comparatively incapable half ton, 125 hp at most 4 cylinder, highly fuel efficient with a reliable motor with a standard cab and long bed. You know, a half ton with a payload of exactly 1,000 pounds. Sort of like the old Toyota and Datsun pickup trucks. Not gonna happen unless gas goes to $8. 

Until then, the full size will do. :ride:

I bought my 2012 tacoma reg cab 4x4 for a long term economy truck. It had the 2.7l 4cyl. Rated at 159hp with 25mpg highway.

I don't believe the truck ever achieved either. It was gutless to the point of being dangerous. Had no power above 45 mph even if you revved the piss out of it.

And for milage 21mpg. Didn't matter if that was back road country driving or a 500 mile interstate trip it got 21mpg.

There was just no upside to owning it except turning around in tight spots.

• Like 2

I bought my 2012 tacoma reg cab 4x4 for a long term economy truck. It had the 2.7l 4cyl. Rated at 159hp with 25mpg highway.

I don't believe the truck ever achieved either. It was gutless to the point of being dangerous. Had no power above 45 mph even if you revved the piss out of it.

And for milage 21mpg. Didn't matter if that was back road country driving or a 500 mile interstate trip it got 21mpg.

Back in the day I had a 93 Toyota plain Jane 2WD. It hauled ass. I don't recall the engine size but it was less than that - I think 1.8L but maybe 2.2L. It was short bed standard cab 2WD. The Tacoma became larger than the "truck" model back then. I don't have too much room to complain because I don't drive that much. 9,700 miles a year for the truck anyway. 

Love mine.

Not breaking the sound barrier I agree.

Gets me anywhere I want to go.

Even pulled out a 3/4 Chevy diesel out of a sand wash at our last race.

Not sure if you had the manual.

I have driven the autos- I would never own one for sure. They are completely gutless with the 4 spd.

I do get 20 average mileage.

And I can tow it behind my motorhome with a bike and bicycles.

Edited by dezracerE

Love mine.

Not breaking the sound barrier I agree.

Gets me anywhere I want to go.

Even pulled out a 3/4 Chevy diesel out of a sand wash at our last race.

Not sure if you had the manual.

I have driven the autos- I would never own one for sure. They are completely gutless with the 4 spd.

I do get 20 average mileage.

And I can tow it behind my motorhome with a bike and bicycles.

It was the 4sp auto. When I test drove it on 35-45mph flat back roads it seemed like the power was fine. In real world driving it was not.

If you're happy with your Tacoma good.

For me I think there way over rated.

Very uncomfortable seats, even with the bucket seats, rough riding, poor fuel milage and way over priced.

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 1

I just dumped my 2012 tacoma for a new f150. Best vehicle decision I've made in a long time.

Thats the direction I'm probably headed but haven't committed to it yet. I recently saw a report that it might be easy to break into the aluminum Fords with a screw driver though so I'm waiting to see some more details before I commit.
  • Like 1

Thats the direction I'm probably headed but haven't committed to it yet. I recently saw a report that it might be easy to break into the aluminum Fords with a screw driver though so I'm waiting to see some more details before I commit.

Look like this has been an issue for a long time. The fix is about $65. http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/thieves-in-tulsa-breaking-into-ford-trucks-with-screwdriver/ Edited by CRD
  • Like 2

My dad bought an 07 F-150 brand new. Never had an issue with it except for the spark plugs! (It's the 5.4L). That truck has over 200,000 miles on it! The only thing that little tank has ever needed was engine belts, tires, and fluids, and spark plugs!

I heard these new fords last forever as well! Don't listen to the chumps about the aluminum body.... stupid chevy commercials dropping took boxes into the bed is the stupidest commercial I have ever seen!

Most people I know put a bed liner or something in the bed so like it even matters!

• Like 1

Any reason you dont want to just buy a beater?

Because besides the vibration everything else about the truck is great. I've heard Ford is testing a minidiesel so I'm waiting to hear more about that as well and I'd rather not deal with a vehicle that might have issues hiding that I haven't noticed yet.

My dad bought an 07 F-150 brand new. Never had an issue with it except for the spark plugs! (It's the 5.4L). That truck has over 200,000 miles on it! The only thing that little tank has ever needed was engine belts, tires, and fluids, and spark plugs!

I heard these new fords last forever as well! Don't listen to the chumps about the aluminum body.... stupid chevy commercials dropping took boxes into the bed is the stupidest commercial I have ever seen!

Most people I know put a bed liner or something in the bed so like it even matters!

Yeah I don't care much about those adds since I'm not going to be using a back hoe to drop a ton of cinder blocks into the bed.
  • Haha 1

Because besides the vibration everything else about the truck is great. I've heard Ford is testing a minidiesel so I'm waiting to hear more about that as well and I'd rather not deal with a vehicle that might have issues hiding that I haven't noticed yet. 

My opinion about modern diesels has come full circle. I'd just buy the truck with the least amount of problems, petrol or diesel.

Too much PITA with CRDs. Can link various threads why if you want, but it basically comes down to them being so incredibly sensitive to fuel quality, the pressures they operate at and the number of injection events per fueling stroke (can be up to three seperate events! anti knock, main injection and then after injection ) even with DLC injectors it takes its toll and CRD injectors arent cheap. You get contaminated fuel and it kills the injectors as fast as you can pump diesel into the tank. Scary.

Then there is the fuel price in the USA. If I were paying what you guys are I'd be looking at LS or turbo 6 swaps.

As for diesel being better on fuel, well, judging by what I've read on this thread my little diesel and those in its class are superior to even the athsmatic 4s, not by much but its in a slightly heavier vehicle (dont know if you're familiar with the Nissan y61 Patrol, its similar to a Landcruiser 80, but has a heavier driveline and a weaker engine)

Yeah I don't care much about those adds since I'm not going to be using a back hoe to drop a ton of cinder blocks into the bed.

Anyone who does that is as dumb as the cinder blocks they are dropping in.

• Like 4