ryry_208

Any tips on convincing my parents to let me get a street bike?

I am 16 right now and I want to get a street bike. I am going to wait till I'm 18 (at least) and I am fully aware of what causes most crashes. I have looked at a lot of crash statistics, police reports, and crash videos on YouTube to see what causes most accidents. It seems like a lot of accidents can be prevented and/or not fatal. My mom is okay with me getting a bike when I am 18, but my father isn't. He really doesn't like street bikes, however, I would rather take a bike over a car. Any advice on helping me convince my parents? I know that I am young to get a bike but I feel like I can handle the responsibility.

I am 16 right now and I want to get a street bike. I am going to wait till I'm 18 (at least) and I am fully aware of what causes most crashes. I have looked at a lot of crash statistics, police reports, and crash videos on YouTube to see what causes most accidents. It seems like a lot of accidents can be prevented and/or not fatal. My mom is okay with me getting a bike when I am 18, but my father isn't. He really doesn't like street bikes, however, I would rather take a bike over a car. Any advice on helping me convince my parents? I know that I am young to get a bike but I feel like I can handle the responsibility.

My recommendation would be to start doing your homework on what bike you want and start talking to them about it.  In my opinion, the key is going to be showing them that you are going to get a reasonable starter bike and purchase all of the safety gear to stay safe (basically show them that you're going to be an adult about it).  Personally though, I would buy a car first and then get a bike on the side.  You're not going to always want to ride a bike everywhere.  I love my bike, and I always can't wait to get home and take it for a ride, but there's also a lot of times that I'm going somewhere and choose to take the car over the bike.

First humble yourself and get a small bike like a 250. That would be your first bet. I'm 14 and I work on sport bikes at my work. I've driven 1000cc, 750cc, 650cc, 600cc, 300cc, 250cc, etc.  A 1000cc is stupid. Way too much power IMO. 750 are still too powerful and 650 are where I can twitch the throttle and not hit 6 grand instantly lol. Still for a beginner a 600 and 650 are too big. Plus, rev bombing a 250 with a yoshi exhaust sounds lovely ;) 

Ride with necessary gear. The lowest would be proper riding shoes, full leather jacket, cargo jeans(won't really do you good but better than regular pants), helmet, riding gloves, and chest/back protector. You can build up from there once you have the money. I see your in California, and as tempting as it might be, DON"T LANE SPLIT!!! Wait until after a year before you lane split as it is dangerous even to the most experienced riders.

Or, or, or, or, get a grom lol

When you are 18 you are an adult and should be living as such, and making these decisions for yourself.

Unless you are still living at home with your parents supporting you. In that case I have nothing to offer.

If you can get it on your own, it shouldn't matter, if anything just keep it at a friends place if they really hate motos. Also I would highly recommend taking a Motorcycle saftey course usualy it will give you a 10% discount on your insurance also keep in mind your insurance premium is not going to be cheap.

Edited by RunninAmocK

Street bike as in crotch rocket, or just a bike on the street?

I convinced mine by getting training.  I recommend anything more then MSR. As already mentioned - insurance is usually high.

First humble yourself and get a small bike like a 250. That would be your first bet. I'm 14 and I work on sport bikes at my work. I've driven 1000cc, 750cc, 650cc, 600cc, 300cc, 250cc, etc.  A 1000cc is stupid. Way too much power IMO. 750 are still too powerful and 650 are where I can twitch the throttle and not hit 6 grand instantly lol. Still for a beginner a 600 and 650 are too big. Plus, rev bombing a 250 with a yoshi exhaust sounds lovely ;)

Ride with necessary gear. The lowest would be proper riding shoes, full leather jacket, cargo jeans(won't really do you good but better than regular pants), helmet, riding gloves, and chest/back protector. You can build up from there once you have the money. I see your in California, and as tempting as it might be, DON"T LANE SPLIT!!! Wait until after a year before you lane split as it is dangerous even to the most experienced riders.

Or, or, or, or, get a grom lol

How different does a 250 street bike feel from a 250 dirt bike? I have a crf230f and thinking about how much more the street bike would weigh compared to 20ccs more, I couldn't imagine how much of a difference the bike would feel. 

How different does a 250 street bike feel from a 250 dirt bike? I have a crf230f and thinking about how much more the street bike would weigh compared to 20ccs more, I couldn't imagine how much of a difference the bike would feel. 

The crf230l l is geared higher for trail and woods riding. A 250 sport bike is geared high for street as well. The 250 sportbike will be faster but is heavier. Your 230 is lighter. Also, the crf230 will have more torque but the 250 sportbike is quicker for accelerating. If you are want street only, get a sportbike. If you want street and trail riding, get an enduro. That's 101 on choosing a bike. What are you getting it for. Good luck :)

Edited by jscoot116

The crf230l l is geared higher for trail and woods riding. A 250 sport bike is geared high for street as well. The 250 sportbike will be faster but is heavier. Your 230 is lighter. Also, the crf230 will have more torque but the 250 sportbike is quicker for accelerating. If you are want street only, get a sportbike. If you want street and trail riding, get an enduro. That's 101 on choosing a bike. What are you getting it for. Good luck :)

You don't think that I could go for a higher displacement? I'm going to be getting a higher displacement dirt bike soon and I think I would be able to handle a higher cc bike once I become more responsible and mature.

You don't think that I could go for a higher displacement? I'm going to be getting a higher displacement dirt bike soon and I think I would be able to handle a higher cc bike once I become more responsible and mature.

I think you could go bigger. I just compared your 230 to a 250 sport bike because the cc is close. You could get a bigger bike. If there is anything we know about trail and woods riding is throttle control. I have never hit the estimated top speed on my motorcycle while on a trail and I don't plan on it soon. It's up to you.

If we agree that a 1000cc and a 750cc are too big then time to brainstorm.

I do agree that a 250cc is too small. After reading that you ride, you will get bored quick with a 250. They are for people who never rode a bike before.

I don't want to recommend one brand because the only sport bike riding I do is either moving them in and out of the shop or a quick ride around the block. But how about a 600. CBR600rr, yahama R6, GSX-R 600, ninja-6R... Those are the most popular brands.

Keep us updated. Good luck

Edited by jscoot116

Speed is half the factor - I think what gets most people in trouble on sport bikes is handling.  You really have to be thinking 5 steps ahead on the street - 10 if you're on a street bike. It often is harder to stop and slower to maneuver then say a dirt bike.  I cant speak for the new ABS some bikes boast however.

I think its much less about what you ride, more about HOW you ride.  Ride smart, ride often.  Knowing how to handle a bike properly will get you further on the road then what size or type of bike.

Ive daily rode a GSXR 600, GSXR 1000, KLX 300 and soon to have a KX450F street machine.  I enjoy riding the 300 more then I ever did the 600 or 1000. Can only imagine how much of a blast I will have on the 450!

• Like 1

I think you could go bigger. I just compared your 230 to a 250 sport bike because the cc is close. You could get a bigger bike. If there is anything we know about trail and woods riding is throttle control. I have never hit the estimated top speed on my motorcycle while on a trail and I don't plan on it soon. It's up to you.

If we agree that a 1000cc and a 750cc are too big then time to brainstorm.

I do agree that a 250cc is too small. After reading that you ride, you will get bored quick with a 250. They are for people who never rode a bike before.

I don't want to recommend one brand because the only sport bike riding I do is either moving them in and out of the shop or a quick ride around the block. But how about a 600. CBR600rr, yahama R6, GSX-R 600, ninja-6R... Those are the most popular brands.

Keep us updated. Good luck

Yeah I was thinking of a CBR600RR or a ZX6R but I realized that I had to take a step back and first convince my parents of letting me get a bike. I told them that if I got a bike while still living with them, they could do a fairly good job of regulating what I wore and how safe I am. I also told them that having a gold chrome bike is safer than having a black bike. Although I love and want a ZX6R or a CBR super bad, I first need to convince them into letting me get a bike... :(

• Like 1

Look at the thread the one down from this is you want to convince them ;)  Do you need to do this as soon as possible though? I had to wait until I was 26 to get my first bike, dirt or street. You have plenty of years left in you, is there any rush? Even if you wait until you are 21 that is still 5 years sooner than me :naughty:  But seriously, you have a sensible head on your shoulders and I think you could have a bike when you are 18/19. 

Look at the thread the one down from this is you want to convince them ;)  Do you need to do this as soon as possible though? I had to wait until I was 26 to get my first bike, dirt or street. You have plenty of years left in you, is there any rush? Even if you wait until you are 21 that is still 5 years sooner than me :naughty:  But seriously, you have a sensible head on your shoulders and I think you could have a bike when you are 18/19. 

Jelly because he may end up with one sooner? Lol.  I had my first dirt bike at 14, street rocket at 16. Usually rode better/safer then most of the older folks I rode with.  Took MSR training (not that its any good) at 15 and im still learning to ride today at 26! In a way there is a rush; you only get to live once.  The more years on two wheels the better! As long as he's doing it legal and smart, it shouldnt matter what age he's doing it. Yes - youngsters are more likely to be stupid but it doesnt mean that its a guarantee he will.

Dont get "target fixated" on age, i think you see how dangerous that can be :p

I do agree with you that there is a rush somewhat. Unfortunately due to my unconventional life (retard school until I was 16) my focus was somewhat different. And yes, I am jealous of ya'll that were enabled by your parents as teenagers :p

Edited by flynn_

On 9/22/2016 at 9:13 AM, ryry_208 said:

I'm 16... I have owned 12 bikes (all YZ125's a couple 250's). For street, I currently have a WR250R Supermoto, and a Grom... just picked up the grom two days ago lol (using it to wheelie on). Yes I have paid for both of the bikes with my own money, yes I have my permit, yes I did the classes, and yes I have insurance. That's all the easy stuff. The hard part is allowing your parents to ride I've had the bike for almost a year now, yet I only put in maybe 500 miles TOTAL (on the street... on the dirt he could care less). It's hard getting permission, and every parent is different. My dad loves street bikes, he's been on one since he was like 15. But he obviously won't let his kid be on one... and that's okay in his mind. What I do is just tell them I'm leaving like right now right now bc "my friends are waiting at our lot". Kinda works, bc I leave every single time and he doesn't get mad (he said "be safe"). However, if I told him that I'll go riding tomorrow, he'll get mad... so yeah that's what works for me. I'll keep on stretching it until he either gets really mad and won't ever let me ride, or he'll let me go on my own whenever I want. It takes time haha