why no more kick starter?

For less than 1 lb and less than the cost of an add-on kick starter, you can carry a Microstart which easily starts a truck, let alone a motorcycle. And, you may become your riding buddy's best friend!

If you love kick starters, for it. But, there are more efficient, cheaper solutions

I have one of those lithium battery jump starters. I actually use it to charge my phone and helmet Comm unit on overnight trips mainly. But just as any other electronic device, they don't always work. Heck the only time I ever tried doing a jump start...it wouldn't work : / when it comes to useful tools, two is one and one is none. I'll take my kick starter and battery pack ?

• Like 1

With a dead battery the bike won't start with a kick starter anyway.

A battery too weak to turn a starter motor properly will still fire up the fuel pump and make it possible to kick start the bike and get you out of Dodge.

When I'm 10 to 15 km deep into the bush...I'm very happy to have a bike with a kick start that's two pounds heavier but can save my ass.

By the way...to put the weight issue in perspective....the two pounds or so that a kick starter adds to the bike is equivalent to about 1/3 of a gallon of gas. Anyone out there not putting that last 1/3 of a gallon in the tank because its too heavy?

• Like 1

Battery was toast on the 200 last Saturday, had to Kickstart all day. The struggle is real.

That is what I am talking about! Batteries go bad at anytime, especially after sitting. The last thing I want to do is trailer my bike four hours to the riding area and find out my battery is bad and my trip is ruined.

• Like 1

That is what I am talking about! Batteries go bad at anytime, especially after sitting. The last thing I want to do is trailer my bike four hours to the riding area and find out my battery is bad and my trip is ruined.

Yah, I purchased a 2016 KTM 450 xcw because of the kick starter but was beginning to wonder if it was worth the bother, for sure it was. Was an awesome day riding on Sunday but without a kicker I would have loaded back up and went home. Kicking still sucks but not as much as not riding.

• Like 1

Batteries definitely die with age and some die way early. Those that die early are a fluke and rarely happen. Those that die from improper care can die early as well. E.g., never putting or rarely putting them on a tender. I relate batteries failing from improper care no different than those caged folks on the side of the road changing flat tires because of improper care. Pressure too low or driving the tire too long before replacing. Sure, you can get a blow out on a new tire, but the odds are lower than those not taking proper care or not changing their tires when they should. I don't wait for batteries to start getting low or cranking slower. I put them on tender as soon as the bike goes in the garage. And then I replace well before it starts to give any issues. If Li batt, no tender, just replace after 3-5 years or so just because. Push the envelope with anything and your risk of failure increases significantly. Yes, nice to have the kick starter, but you'll use it less with proper care and timely replacements IMO.

Edited by oldfuddy
  • Like 1

Kind of like the old two-stroke days when you'd be out in the middle of nowhere and foul a plug...

Especially those damn Yamaha's... bwah, bwwah, bwwahhh.. phut.

I always carried a new plug in my pocket and had a cheap plug wrench taped to the frame.

Edited by C6DNA

I had a radiator fan running not properly. It was running extra long on a ride I did. Well it drained the battery in that one ride so the magic button wouldn't work at all. If I didn't have the kicker that day I would have been screwed. Not having a kicker when your 30 miles out in the middle of nowhere is a real concern. Not so much if your riding street and close to civilization.

Kind of like the old two-stroke days when you'd be out in the middle of nowhere and foul a plug...

Especially those damn Yamaha's... bwah, bwwah, bwwahhh.. phut.

I always carred a new plug in my pocket and had a cheap plug wrench taped to the frame.

It ain't just the old yami's.....

This 300 decided it would foul right before getting all the way through....

Yup, gotta carry a spare.

IMG_1481472635.120561.jpg

IMG_1481472648.320531.jpg

• Like 1