Sign in to follow this  

why no more kick starter?

Is it bad not to have kick starter? Dealer told me all new 2017 models don't have it anymore :(

Bike is a bit lighter but this feature was good to have as a backup.

Is it bad not to have kick starter? ...

I've had (2) 500 EXC's, and I've NEVER used the kick started on either one, except for novelty purposes, just to say I did...

Is it bad not to have kick starter? Dealer told me all new 2017 models don't have it anymore :(

Bike is a bit lighter but this feature was good to have as a backup.

Buy a Yamaha instead  👍

• Like 1

It's always a must for me to have a kick starter.. I've been stuck in the back country with other guys due to battery dead and no kick start. We had to push the bike up a hill, took over an hour. Just so he could bump start it.. a dirt bike needs a kick starter.

• Like 5

It's always a must for me to have a kick starter.. I've been stuck in the back country with other guys due to battery dead and no kick start. We had to push the bike up a hill, took over an hour. Just so he could bump start it.. a dirt bike needs a kick starter.

...or a tow strap...

• Like 2

...or a tow strap...

No that would have not worked. We were down in a canyon, with very steep climbs all around. There was 4 of us, we basicly dragged the bike up the hill side. There was no way if he was by himself that he would have got the bike out.. if your going to do some serious riding in difficult terrain, I would highly recommend getting a bike with a kick starter..
  • Like 1

Yeah, there will come a day when the bike's battery has enough juice to run , but not enough to turn the motor over.

there have only be a few times that I tried to bump start a 4 stroke by myself, never successful rear tire just skids

Yeah, there will come a day when the bike's battery has enough juice to run , but not enough to turn the motor over.

Yup...this could be my last KTM unless they bring back the kick start.

I'm not the least bit interested in being stranded way out in the bush just so KTM can pad their profit margins by a few more dollars....nor am I interested is spending time and money on retrofitting a very expensive bike just to have what should be standard in the first place.  A kick start is a security and safety issue as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by travertt

They have the kick start kit available for the new EXCs, if you refuse to ride without one just bolt it back on - not positive on the cost yet. The new lithium ion battery jump boxes are light and powerful now also - couple one with a homemade capacitor and there is no reason why you should be walking out.

My first ever ride on my 350exc back in 2012, the stock battery died. Kick starter saved me. With a lithium battery, the capacitor is needed since they don't recharge and hold it well like a standard acid battery, which I learned the hard way on my 500exc. So yes, not only is a kick starter a great thing to have, a capacitor is too!

• Like 1

I'm sure they complained when the crank handle was taken off of cars. Haha

• Like 5

I'm sure they complained when the crank handle was taken off of cars. Haha

Apples to oranges. Cars ar driven in public highways, accessible to tow trucks and other forms of help easily. Dirt bikes are ridden often in areas completely inaccessible to tow trucks and convenient forms of assistance.

• Like 1

also, when you drown your bike in the river it's easier to pump water out with kick starter handle.

p.s

looks to me like cost cutting by ktm as price didn't drop for new model.

Edited by motf

also, when you drown your bike in the river it's easier to pump water out with kick starter handle.

p.s

looks to me like cost cutting by ktm as price didn't drop for new model.

I think it's purely weight savings. It's getting harder and harder to trim any more weight off so there getting desperate. So they went after something that could be rectified if the owner wanted to at a later date, but they can still can claim the weight reduction for that model year.
  • Like 2

I don't think it's for weight savings. I have a TW200. Up until 2001 ( I believe) they had both kick and electric. Now just electric and the kick start kit has been discounted by Yamaha. Even with it being sold out and on back order. I've wondered if it's a liability issue. Ever get kicked back? Injured and people sued? I bought my TW because of my health issues needed something lighter, smaller. I wanted with electric start too. With my issues I also knew push starting was out. I thought kick starting by me was also out. I decided a kick was also a necessity. Very glad I did because I can and do use the Kickstarter. As my battery is bad, to late in season for me to replace. Push starting is still not something I can or will be able to do!

My campaign is

Bring back the KICK for 2018. Do I have your support[emoji13]

I think it's purely weight savings. It's getting harder and harder to trim any more weight off so there getting desperate. So they went after something that could be rectified if the owner wanted to at a later date, but they can still can claim the weight reduction for that model year.

$$$

I actually think that it's both.  There's not doubt that they saved money by removing the kick starter, in both component and assembly time.  HOWEVER, there is NO way that they are going to get these bikes lighter without starting to remove "features".  

Let's face it:

• They need a frame
  • They need an engine
  • They need suspension
  • They need wheels / tires.
  • ...and all of the other parts that are REQUIRED to make a running / driving motorcycle

All of those things have a relatively "fixed" weight, to do the job that they need to do.  Yeah, they could shave a few pounds / ounces / grams here and there, but they are not going to make many of the "core" components much lighter without doing a one or several of these things in combination:

• Deleting features - pretty simple way to get rid of weight, just be removing things that might not be needed.   Think about how many "features" our bikes have that are not an absolute requirement to run and drive down the road / trail.  I can only think of three things on my '16 500 that are "features" that were NOT required to get down the road:  kick starter, radiator fan, and bark busters.
  • Re-configuring "core" components - Even things like the engine, can only be reconfigured to a certain extent to save weight.  500CC's is going to REQUIRE a certain bore size and stroke.  They will never be able to make the engine 4" shorter in height, because they wouldn't have any room left for the crank, for example
  • Exotic materials - Like titanium. I don't think that any of us want to pay for a titanium bike

IT sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I personally like the idea that they removed the kick starter, saving weight, BUT still allowing for the option for people that want to add it. (they could have probably saved more weight if they had redesigned the covers to NOT include the hole for the kick starter, which they didn't do)  If it's a feature that some users need, then they still have that option.  I'm guessing, though, that most people who ride 500's would never need that feature though, so why not save the weight for the majority of people?

At the end of the day, let's not lose sight of the fact that KTM took almost 10 POUNDS out of the weight of this machine.  I didn't think that they were going to get much more out of it from the last generation, and they got 10 pounds somewhere... 

I actually think that it's both.  There's not doubt that they saved money by removing the kick starter, in both component and assembly time.  HOWEVER, there is NO way that they are going to get these bikes lighter without starting to remove "features".  

who said we needed lighter bikes???  if I want to feather light bike and be blown off the road by wind I get mountain bike!

The reason is purely financial, cutting cost without dropping the price the same way like honda and yamaha do already sacrificing reliability and quality.

Edited by motf