why no more kick starter?

Then don't by a bike with a plate

I agree with this...

We've lost sight of the fact that the allure of the 500 EXC is that it is a street bike that happens to do good in the dirt.  I suppose you could argue that it's a dirt bike, and while that would be true, that's not its real strength.  Its real strength is that it can be fitted with a plate, in ALL 50 states...

• Like 1

My starter went out at 200hrs on my 2013 500.

Kickstarter saved my ass.

Good thing, cause most guys I know would have left you for dead ;)

I'd have to leave myself for dead. I can't kick start my bike...

You should see Wolfies bike, he should have left it where it lied....there was this one time, a few months ago, he couldn't find his sub-frame. Go figure :smirk:

I agree with this...

We've lost sight of the fact that the allure of the 500 EXC is that it is a street bike that happens to do good in the dirt. I suppose you could argue that it's a dirt bike, and while that would be true, that's not its real strength. Its real strength is that it can be fitted with a plate, in ALL 50 states...

I disagree slightly. The alure is that it's a dirt bike that is street legal. This is a necessity in many areas because the land to ride on is so fragmented that it's connected by public roads. For a street bike that works off road, see the 690. :)

• Like 2

I disagree slightly. The alure is that it's a dirt bike that is street legal. This is a necessity in many areas because the land to ride on is so fragmented that it's connected by public roads. For a street bike that works off road, see the 690. :)

OK, I'll bite.  If that's the case, then, who does NOT want their dirt bike to be lighter???

Everything is a compromise. Lighter is great,but i personally would take a couple more pounds to have a kick starter. I'm sure there are some who agree and others who don't. Apparently some who don't hold key positions at ktm. ;)

• Like 1

OK, I'll bite.  If that's the case, then, who does NOT want their dirt bike to be lighter???

everybody who took physics class in high school :lol:

• Like 1

I guess 1 way to look at it is you now have a lighter bike that some want, with the option of adding a kicker to it to give you what you want.  The 2017 is 10lbs lighter.  The kicker will prolly add maybe 4lbs??  And from the looks of it about $250.  I might be in the market for the add on to my 501 in the near future, but it's not high on my list. 

I've lost a stator in the back woods in Kennedy Meadows and had to push/pull/tow my WR450 out.  It wasn't fun but we did what had to be done.  We spent 6 1/2 hours pushing/pulling/towing a seized YZ250 out of a nasty area in our local single track local.  It sucks, we all suggested chipping in $200 and leaving it......it was an '06 POS :lol:   But alas, we just couldn't do it ;)

• Like 1

Good thing, cause most guys I know would have left you for dead ;)

Happened at the very beginning of the first ride of three days of riding. The problem with leaving me for dead is, only me and the bombardier know where we are going.

I'd have to leave myself for dead.  I can't kick start my bike...

Well lucky for me i had a broken right foot and my brain is so far gone. Maybe not lucky.. more like "blessed". 

You should see Wolfies bike, he should have left it where it lied....there was this one time, a few months ago, he couldn't find his sub-frame. Go figure :smirk:

Funny thing about the subframe is, i dont need it to ratfack a full group of riders lolz.

Kenny youre a fool, let the subframe go bro... just let it go.

• Like 1

Kenny youre a fool, let the subframe go bro... just let it go.

It's all I got..... :goofy:

• Like 1

Everything is a compromise. Lighter is great,but i personally would take a couple more pounds to have a kick starter. I'm sure there are some who agree and others who don't. Apparently some who don't hold key positions at ktm. ;)

Just for the record, my buddy has a Husqvarna TE449 '11 (I think), and it did NOT come with a kicker.  I'm not even for sure that you can add one to that bike...

man, after having had a few batteries die while dune bashing in the desert I would be hard pressed to take something that didn't have a kickstart out for a day of desert riding.  You haven't truly lived until you've tried bouncing a bike down a sand dune - possible, but not a whole heck of a lot of fun.  Kickstart saves the day more often than not.  

For the couple of pounds it adds, I would definitely take one.  I think KTM just got rid of it to save cash personally.

Remember, when your battery dies so does your fuel pump...  They got this one right. Ditch the kickstarter and all the internals associated with it. Make the engine compact and light. Push forward.. 

• Like 1

Remember, when your battery dies so does your fuel pump...  They got this one right. Ditch the kickstarter and all the internals associated with it. Make the engine compact and light. Push forward.. 

Good point.  We hadn't mentioned the fact that the fuel pump is dead in those circumstances...

• Like 1

Good point.  We hadn't mentioned the fact that the fuel pump is dead in those circumstances...

If you run a voltmeter, you should have a heads up that your charging circuit is dead, and need to head home. Batteries don't go dead all of a sudden, but they can get weak enough not to be able to turn the motor over, kick is then handy.

A fuel pump will run down to near 9.5volts battery output, then you are dead fuel pump wise. The ability to turn the motor over was 3 volts higher.

one safeguard would be to have the capacitor accessory, for a truly dead battery.

Edited by Spud786

Remember, when your battery dies so does your fuel pump... They got this one right. Ditch the kickstarter and all the internals associated with it. Make the engine compact and light. Push forward..

Remember...your battery doesn't have to be completely dead for the e-start to fail to start the engine.  If you watered out your engine and were having a lot of trouble getting it started and the battery eventually became too weak to run the e-start...it would still run the fuel pump and the kick start could still save the day.

If you left your lights on...or left your ignition on or any other number of scenarios where the battery was too weak for the e-start...the kick start could still get you going.

What happens if the gearing mechanism on the e-start fails...what if the e-start motor fails...the kick start will save your ass.

What if your battery is just past its prime and decided on that particular ride to not have enough juice for the e-start when you're in the middle of nowhere...kick start and your up and running.

What if its cold and your battery is just too weak to run the e-start hard enough...kick start has saved me under this scenario several times.

Anyone who rides deep into the bush/desert etc has lots of reasons to want/need a kick start in my opinion.

Whether my bike weight 230 pounds or 234 pounds makes no difference to me...or to most riders who are not A class MX ers I expect. I'll gladly add 4 pounds for a kick start.

Just my enduro/woods rider opinion.

If you run a voltmeter, you should have a heads up that your charging circuit is dead, and need to head home. Batteries don't go dead all of a sudden, but they can get weak enough not to be able to turn the motor over, kick is then handy...

Who has a voltmeter on their dirt bike???

• Like 1