Fuel pump options for KTM 500 exc aftermarket/oem

We determined the pump was bad by swapping it with one from another bike. W e could get the bad pump to run by tapping on it, but it keeps quitting. Time for a new one. The OEM pump is quite expensive. Has anyone put on a aftermarket pump and Liked it? I've found a few pumps, but not any reviews. I believe the same pump fits a lot of models. Please chip in with any advise.

Just as long as it's not cheapo ebay Chinese junk I'd go for it if the savings is significant.

Might want to check CA Cycleworks. The first few years of the efi husabergs had crappy fuelpumps and instead of replacing it with the berg/ktm pumps, the ca pumps were the shiznit

• Like 2

Anyone try HFP (high flow performance) fuel pumps?

Link: HFP-389 -- 2011-2016 KTM 250 / 350 / 450 / 500 -- XC-F XCF / EXC EXC-F EXCF / SX-F SXF / XC-W XCW / Freeride EFI Fuel Pump and Installation Kit - Replaces 78107088000 81207088011 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKF2AJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gdS5xbJFVAVW5

I ordered one so we shall see. I was going back and forth between the CA Cycleworks fuel pump the HFP pump.

The $50 price verse $150 for the Cycleworks and $275 for OEM swayed me to the HFP.

Looks like HFP does a lot of aftermarket fuel pumps for cars.

Edited by farmboybunk

Anyone try HFP (high flow performance) fuel pumps?

Link: HFP-389 -- 2011-2016 KTM 250 / 350 / 450 / 500 -- XC-F XCF / EXC EXC-F EXCF / SX-F SXF / XC-W XCW / Freeride EFI Fuel Pump and Installation Kit - Replaces 78107088000 81207088011 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKF2AJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gdS5xbJFVAVW5

I ordered one so we shall see. I was going back and forth between the CA Cycleworks fuel pump the HFP pump.

The $50 price verse $150 for the Cycleworks and $275 for OEM swayed me to the HFP.

Looks like HFP does a lot of aftermarket fuel pumps for cars.

Keep us posted. I scrolled through and some of the reviews were good and the remainder were unrelated. If it does good, might not be a bad idea for an inexpensive spare. Also, make absolutely sure that the filters and inline screens are either clear or be on the safe side and replace them.

the 350 and the 500 share the same fuel pump.

The HFP fuel pump arrived today.

I'll install when I have time sometime this week and let you all know how it goes.

Seems solidly built.

IMG_1475019606.711250.jpg

IMG_1475019618.464316.jpg

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 2

I had to make time to get the HFP fuel pump installed after I got the kids to bed the other night.

The pump quality looks as good or better then the stock fuel pump. I was impressed.

The stocker is silver and the HFP is black with the blue top.

IMG_1475725186.201065.jpg

IMG_1475725197.005547.jpg

The supplied fuel line is a bit longer then the stocker, but didn't seem to be a problem.

It also came supplied with the needed hose clamps.

IMG_1475725253.673563.jpg

The HFP fuel pump comes with two different intake filters. A side mount and a bottom mount. Only the bottom mount works with the fuel pump housing on the EXC, XC-W, & XCs.

IMG_1475725497.993968.jpg

If you are careful you can remove the stock filter mount and filter from the stock fuel pump and possibly reuse it if you'd like.

IMG_1475725552.618515.jpg

I decided to go with the HFP intake filter, as I'm not impressed with the stocker. Once I removed the stock intake filter some fuel back flowed out of the pump and I could see and fill grit (sand). The reviews I've read on the HFP say it has a good intake filter. It actually is a triple layer filter, where as the stocker is a thin single layer. I was worried the triple thickness of the filter would impede fuel flow, but on the short ride I did post install it does not seem to be the case.

The shape of the intake filter is odd and you have to fold it and wedge it into the fuel pump housing to make it fit. Not a big issue.

IMG_1475726749.407981.jpg

Due to the late night install, I have not had a chance to really put it through the paces. I road it for about five minutes on the street. The bike pulled harder and would do roll on wheelies where as before I had to clutch it. The old fuel pump was severely impeding fuel delivery.

Preliminarily I am pleased with the purchase and install. I'll report back after my first real ride hopefully this weekend.

I will give it a real test at the end of the month when I go to Moab and an even bigger test in February when I go to Baja Mexico.

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 3

Great find with the lower cost alternative and thanks for sharing photos of the install. Any updates on how it's working?

My first major time on the bike with the new fuel pump was in Moab and it ran great up until my stator failed, no fault to the fuel pump though.

I've since replaced the stator and the bike has been running strong. On cold start ups I like to tap the electric start to prime the fuel line and I am impressed each time with how strong the fuel pump sounds. It seems to pump with authority.

Again the bike seemed to be under powered and running lean while the old fuel pump was dying a slow death. Once the fuel pump was replaced, the power came back.

I am leaving for Baja Mexico next month and I have confidence in it. I may pick up a spare for the other KTMs in my group incase theirs fail. Very inexpensive insurance.

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 1

I think you did really good, not only price. but quality. Will the stock fuel screen fit on the new pump?

I'm thinking of getting one of these to keep in my extra tank, so I can swap tanks with ease.

I contacted HFP and they confirmed same pump, HFP-389 is correct for my 2015 350 exc. looks like the price has gone up to $69 though.

Your review talked me into it!

I think you did really good, not only price. but quality. Will the stock fuel screen fit on the new pump?

Yes the stock screen will fit the aftermarket HFP fuel pump, but I think the screen that comes with new HFP is better.

The HFP is a triple layer screen with similar sized opening as stock, where as the stocker is a single layer screen.

I found grit in the stock fuel pump when I removed it that must have passed through the stock screen. I'm hopefully the HFP screen will do better.

Edited by farmboybunk
  • Like 1

I don't think this is everything you need for a second full pump assembly

Spud is correct. To have a complete second fuel pump assembly you'll have to buy the fuel pump housing, filter, hoses, plus other items. Edited by farmboybunk

Hey farmboybunk,

I just bought the HFP fuel pump as a replacement for mine since it died in the middle of nowhere. I had to get towed by a friend in the trails.

Did you end up having issue with this one? Would you mind doing a "long term" review?

Hey farmboybunk,
I just bought the HFP fuel pump as a replacement for mine since it died in the middle of nowhere. I had to get towed by a friend in the trails.
Did you end up having issue with this one? Would you mind doing a "long term" review?

Hi Blob,

It's still going strong. No issues at all. It's been on three Moab trips (300 miles each trip), a Baja Mexico trip (850 miles), plus countless miles of trail riding in between. I've since sold the bike to my brother in-law, but he hasn't had any issues with it either.

If you already haven't bought a new replacement fuel filter for inside the fuel tank, I highly recommend that you do so while you're in there. It will keep things at there optimum.