YZ250 Maintenance

Hi, I was thinking about buying a used YZ250 (about 1 or 2 years old for around $5000) when I get it I would like to do a top end rebuild and maybe a bottom end rebuild. How much would it cost to get a top end rebuild, and how much would it be for a bottom? Also, how often would I have to do each of them? Thanks!

Edited by Luca5927
  • Like 1

Hi, I was thinking about buying a used YZ250 (about 1 or 2 years old for around $5000) when I get it I would like to do a top end rebuild and maybe a bottom end rebuild. How much would it cost to get a top end rebuild, and how much would it be for a bottom? Also, how often would I have to do each of them? Thanks!

If you purchase any bike, have a mechanic check it out first, when you purchase it, get a shop manual and know it word by word, and know your scoot.  Those yz's are bullet proof, and they have nice alloy frames. Engine rebuilds are not expensive at all, providing you know what you are doing. good luck the dude!

If you purchase any bike, have a mechanic check it out first, when you purchase it, get a shop manual and know it word by word, and know your scoot. Those yz's are bullet proof, and they have nice alloy frames. Engine rebuilds are not expensive at all, providing you know what you are doing. good luck the dude!

I was going to get it checked out by a mechanic, so you know how much it costs and where to get a shop manual?
  • Like 1

How often you need to refurbish top/bottom end depends how you use the bike:

(also how you maintain it and keep it in tune)

trail/off-roading, motocross, (recreational or racing) greatly varies engine loads and sustained high rpms

Frequency of top end can be determined by hours of use if racing.

For recreational use, keeping track of compression drop after a rebuild.

I ride recreational MX on a YZ125,

on average I refresh the top end once a season

(sometimes a new ring halfway thru the season)

but I'm still on the original bottom end.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

For another 1500 you can buy a new one and just ride it... If your set on rebuilding one (which I understand and have done) just buy any clean bike 06+ for $3k or so ..... Spend the extra dough on gear or upgrades

I am just doing an engine rebuild so it is like a new engine and won't blow up right after I buy it. And i want the newest bike I can so it's in the best condition.
  • Like 1

newer does not always mean better condition, it all depends on the prior owner.

I would get a mechanic to check it out before I buy it. Also I would do a top and bottom end so I know exactly when it needs a new top and bottom end and not just guess when it was done last. Edited by Luca5927

yz250 is my cup of tea, i ride a 2006 that has been apart about 10 times since i bought it (im anal as ever) 

if you want it to last after you buy it

rebuild oem crank with pro x rod kit

pro x crank bearings and seals

pro x c-d topend kit (matched to current cylinder wear) 

2016 yz250 shift stopper 

i bought mine for 3k canadian and after i built it up, its cleaner tighter and nicer than an 6 month old 2016 bike. turns more heads to.

if taken care of they are indestructible. I still have the orginal 06 crank in my bike with zero play. its getting a new rod this winter.  

frame_zpsr6sz09z6.jpg

• Like 1

As mentioned, I would just buy a brand new bike if you plan on spending that much.... it's plenty of thread's on here of fresh rebuild's blowing up.   if you really want to rebuild it find a 06+ for around 3k.  With that said though I'm very happy with my 04 riding trail's. I just need to do something about making the brake's better.... just been busy.

As mentioned, I would just buy a brand new bike if you plan on spending that much.... it's plenty of thread's on here of fresh rebuild's blowing up. if you really want to rebuild it find a 06+ for around 3k. With that said though I'm very happy with my 04 riding trail's. I just need to do something about making the brake's better.... just been busy.

A new YZ250 where I live is $8500. A used one is $4000-5000 for a 2013-2015

A new YZ250 where I live is $8500. A used one is $4000-5000 for a 2013-2015

:banghead: New 85? :eek: Who the "F" is that dealer? ?

Boys, get your pitch forks, rakes, shovels, and clubs, I have a box of matches. We gunna have a good old dealer "stealership" burning.  :devil:

• Like 1

:banghead: New 85? :eek: Who the "F" is that dealer? ?

Boys, get your pitch forks, rakes, shovels, and clubs, I have a box of matches. We gunna have a good old dealer "stealership" burning. :devil:

No kidding. That's about what they wanted for a new 250X locally this spring. I simply drove to OR and picked one up 6900 OTD. I've seen hold over new y250s go for 6100... I'm sure you could find one for 65-6600 without too much effort..

Find a new dealer..

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

No kidding. That's about what they wanted for a new 250X locally this spring. I simply drove to OR and picked one up 6900 OTD. I've seen hold over new y250s go for 6100... I'm sure you could find one for 65-6600 without too much effort..

Find a new dealer..

I don't want to play over $6500 for a dirt bike when I can get a barely used one for $5000 ( This is Canadian money). And what exactly causes the top end to blow up?

I don't want to play over $6500 for a dirt bike when I can get a barely used one for $5000 ( This is Canadian money). And what exactly causes the top end to blow up?

any number of things. I would say 9 out of 10 times it's lack of maintenance on the owners part or stupidity lack of knowledge however you wanna look at it. Running dirty air filters, running way past ring and piston service time,putting new piston in on a worn out bottom end or worn cylinder,running worn out reeds, running an engine that clearly needs attention, starting a bike cold and revving it wide open over and over again, I could keep going but you get the idea I'm sure.

:banghead: New 85? :eek: Who the "F" is that dealer? ?

Boys, get your pitch forks, rakes, shovels, and clubs, I have a box of matches. We gunna have a good old dealer "stealership" burning. :devil:

Ha! Just wait till you hear what I was told.

My usual ride is needing a freshen up so I've been looking for a used 125 to rip on if I have any down time.

On my way back from the bolt shop the Yamaha / KTM dealer is right next door. Start looking at bikes, notably the YZ125, the YZ250FX and the 2017 125SX.

Says to the salesman "Hey mate what do you do the little YZ125s for??"

His response was "with the GYTR kit you're looking at 10 mate"

It was hard to keep a poker face after that. I thanked him for his time, went home and made a wanted ad for an early 2000s 125. What adds insult to injury is I dont like the new plastics on those things compared with the earlier versions anyway.

• Like 2