Glen Helen MXoN 2017 cancelled

Apparently due to risk of low fan attendance. I was really looking forward to it, damn.

They should rather get the TV coverage sorted and schedule the events in the morning so that Europe doesn't have to get up at 2 AM to see it.

http://www.mxgp.com/news/monster-energy-fim-motocross-nations-glen-helen-cancelled

Edited by Narciss

I hate to say it, but they are right! There is no way the US fans would pack a US venue anywhere close to what they got at Maggiora. Our guys do great over there. All three motos at Maggiora were great racing!

You have to compete in the international match ups if you ever want to know just how good you are. Look at how it story of meaning related to The Dream Team of 1986. It means something to stake or rank, your ability each year against the best in the world.

For Webb, MXdN also served as much needed 450 race time. It was by no means a "waste of time" for him. Webb is that much closer to being a contender in the 450's in AMA-2017 because of Maggiora.

Edited by Hendricus
  • Like 4

I somewhat agree that there may not be a venue in the USA that could rival the turnout that we just saw over the weekend. But the Budds Creek MXON did over 75k, for attendance in 07. I feel like that is respectable. But for whatever reason pro events don't seem to do well both in attendance and sales, at Cali venues. Perhaps it is over-saturation of the market or something. But either way, it is a bit disappointing to have it moved out of the USA.

• Like 3

A lot of U.S. fans have gone soft.

They like easy parking, comfortable seating, beer and food served at your seat, nice comfortable weather conditions, in and out in a few hours.

Outdoor events are usually hot and dirty, it's an all day affair, I couldn't drag my wife to one of those twice, but supercross not a problem.

From what I have heard on pulp, a lot of mx teams and riders are not too pumped to do outdoors.

Maybe in the interest of saving the sport they should shorten the outdoor series to 6 events, then add in the their 3 or 4 GPs and make them part of the points series.

• Like 2

The FIM just needs to learn how to cater to the Cali crowd

They should have call it MXCoachella 

Hahaha or MX-BurningMan. The attendance numbers speak for themselves. I too hate to see the popularity of MX die in So-Cal. There are other pro sports too that have lamented poor attendance in So Cal. It's a complex situation as to why. For one thing owing and riding a motorcycle does not fit if you like to suck on a bong every day.

So-Cal and USA outdoor MX popularity is what it is. The race promoters need to do what they need to do.

Edited by Hendricus