Parts availability

I live in France and I have huge problems getting hold of basic spares for my 2012 Beta 450RR.

Right now I need a linkage bearings replacement kit.  Boano in Italy (our neighbouring country, remember) are quoting 15-20 days "once the parts have arrived from Betamoto" - so basically they don't know and I could be waiting for weeks for all I know.

AzMoto claim to be the main access point within France, but again everything is on back-order.  They appear to actually stock virtually nothing, so again I hear of 15-20 days but I've tested that timescale before and it's not realistic.  I have some OEM clutch parts on back order and still haven't heard from them.  They only communicate if I prompt them, and they even get shitty for being reminded!  My two local Beta 'dealerships' are just outlets for a few new bike sales per year - they don't hold a proper stock of spares.  Even air filters aren't always available over the counter!  There are lots of Beta being used here in France but I think we're getting a poor back-up service.

So I have just had to order an aftermarket linkage kit from the U.S. from Factory Links, which is the only other source for the bearings that I can find for my bike.  According to ebay they were dispatched on the same day as I paid, which is excellent and they are on their way to me now.  Hopefully that will solve the linkage issues I have.  They were cheaper than Boano but I may have to pay duty when they arrive and the shipping cost a fair bit.

When I live in the neighbouring country to where the bikes are manufactured, why should I have to buy parts from across the Atlantic to get a decent delivery time?  I've written to Beta direct to raise the problem with them and yet to hear back.  These are common wear-and-tear parts that really should be sat on a shelf somewhere here in France.

I always bore my mates with how brilliant my bike rides and handles - I bloody love it - but I don't love the long waits for simple service parts that should be easily available within a few clicks and a few days delivery time.  When I read posts on here from riders in the States I hear of helpful dealers supplying parts quickly and a healthy stock of aftermarket parts.  It feels as though Beta is prioritising its US market at the expense of European riders.  Do any other Beta owners in Europe feel the same?

• Like 1

I live in France and I have huge problems getting hold of basic spares for my 2012 Beta 450RR.

Right now I need a linkage bearings replacement kit.  Boano in Italy (our neighbouring country, remember) are quoting 15-20 days "once the parts have arrived from Betamoto" - so basically they don't know and I could be waiting for weeks for all I know.

AzMoto claim to be the main access point within France, but again everything is on back-order.  They appear to actually stock virtually nothing, so again I hear of 15-20 days but I've tested that timescale before and it's not realistic.  I have some OEM clutch parts on back order and still haven't heard from them.  They only communicate if I prompt them, and they even get shitty for being reminded!  My two local Beta 'dealerships' are just outlets for a few new bike sales per year - they don't hold a proper stock of spares.  Even air filters aren't always available over the counter!  There are lots of Beta being used here in France but I think we're getting a poor back-up service.

So I have just had to order an aftermarket linkage kit from the U.S. from Factory Links, which is the only other source for the bearings that I can find for my bike.  According to ebay they were dispatched on the same day as I paid, which is excellent and they are on their way to me now.  Hopefully that will solve the linkage issues I have.  They were cheaper than Boano but I may have to pay duty when they arrive and the shipping cost a fair bit.

When I live in the neighbouring country to where the bikes are manufactured, why should I have to buy parts from across the Atlantic to get a decent delivery time?  I've written to Beta direct to raise the problem with them and yet to hear back.  These are common wear-and-tear parts that really should be sat on a shelf somewhere here in France.

I always bore my mates with how brilliant my bike rides and handles - I bloody love it - but I don't love the long waits for simple service parts that should be easily available within a few clicks and a few days delivery time.  When I read posts on here from riders in the States I hear of helpful dealers supplying parts quickly and a healthy stock of aftermarket parts.  It feels as though Beta is prioritising its US market at the expense of European riders.  Do any other Beta owners in Europe feel the same?

you know that is strange as I have seen videos speaking of the french market as being very important and this is coming from Beta.. but it you are having a hard time it is good to voice your opinion to Beta in some way.. but more importantly it is just better to maybe order from the USA or other outlets so you can have your parts in a timely manner. Have you tried Sierra Motor supply? When I have contacted Boano racing they told me to go to sierra. I guess it would be great if you found another person from france giving good info on where to get parts. 

http://www.motosupply.com/beta-c-273.html

You may try Australia Beta       http://betamotor.com.au/betaenduro/

and compare and check for shipping prices.. along with lots of outlets all over the world to see what might work for you better. I live in Hawaii and our shipping costs are usually higher. It's almost like another country compared to the mainland usa prices for Beta.. but I get my parts real fast as betausa has everything and everything comes fast for me.. and for many years now. Try checking our cross reference and other threads pinned to get ideas of places to order from. I find great stuff on ebay too...and ebay from different countries.

I have a 2012 350 rr also by the way. I think that year in particular is the most beautiful design of bike. Honestly I think that is about the most beautiful bike made.. It just has the right look to me. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Not really what you want to hear but in Australia the Beta Parts supply is great. The dealers are proactive and you can even email the importer direct and he answers. I'm very happy with the Parts supply and even happier with the bike. Its a 2016 350rr unicorn ? 

MM 

• Like 1

Thanks Hawai - you're always helpful on here.  The French market is significant I think.  We have an equivalent to ebay in France that is actually far more commonly used than ebay - called leboncoin.com

Take a look under Beta and 'Motos' and you'll find lots of new and used Betas for sale, plus parts under 'equipment moto'.

So I know there are plenty of owners here, and there's a small beta owners' forum too (in French obviously).

I do a regular worldwide trawl for parts, so I usually know what I can get hold of - I just wish the local service was a bit better.

Also, thanks MartyMoose - I do see the Australian parts, but tend to go for more local parts if I can.

All I really want is one good internet ordering point with stock on the shelf and quick delivery.

Dave

P.S. As you say, Hawai, the bikes are just great and I have no complaints.  I can stand up all day in the tightest woodland single tracks while my mates paddle about on their WRFs, and I usually step off fresher than them after 4 hours.  I LOVE this bike. 

• Like 2

Have you tried sourcing the bearings from a bearing supplier? I found the measurements and called a bearing supplier with the specs and they had all but one in stock. It was a while back, but they might have had the seals too. They will have numbers on them of you look close enough. 

Thanks for the input, but I want the new parts here ready before I take the linkage apart.  The guys at Factory Links seem pretty switched on so far.  I'll report back when I've fitted their kit. 

Thanks for the input, but I want the new parts here ready before I take the linkage apart.  The guys at Factory Links seem pretty switched on so far.  I'll report back when I've fitted their kit. 

Got it, that's reasonable. In my case it took me longer to get the swingarm bolt out than it did to get the bearings. I was able to find the bearing and seal specs and part numbers on this forum. I did still need the spacers, hardware and sleeves from Beta. No one makes a complete kit for my 09 bike.

I guess this is the downside of owning a low-production-run type of bike.  The aftermarket parts makers just can't see sufficient revenue in producing the kits, compared to a WR250 or whatever, that sold by the bucket load.  

I wish Beta would produce a range of discounted kits for the bikes to replace the commonly/regularly worn-out parts.  If you buy every bearing, spacer and seal for every part within the linkage straight from the Beta OEM catalogue it really mounts up (€/$).  They could help a bit more in helping us to keep the older bikes on the dirt.  I suppose they would rather we just bought a new one of course... 

I guess this is the downside of owning a low-production-run type of bike.  The aftermarket parts makers just can't see sufficient revenue in producing the kits, compared to a WR250 or whatever, that sold by the bucket load.  

I wish Beta would produce a range of discounted kits for the bikes to replace the commonly/regularly worn-out parts.  If you buy every bearing, spacer and seal for every part within the linkage straight from the Beta OEM catalogue it really mounts up (€/$).  They could help a bit more in helping us to keep the older bikes on the dirt.  I suppose they would rather we just bought a new one of course... 

The smart choice is to buy the complete dog bone or knuckle assembly - already preloaded with bearings and seals.

Quick Update:  The full set of bearings, spacers etc etc just arrived (for the linkage and for the swingarm), from Factory Links  Came very well packed with good-looking instructions and arrived within 10 days from the U.S. (to darkest France).  I wasn't charged any duty either.

So, so far I'm impressed.  Going out for a final day in the dirt this Sunday, then I'll pull it all apart next week.  I'll let you all know how that goes...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent about 5 hours changing everything - new linkage bearings, bushes, seals etc and same for the swingarm and lower shock.  Quite a big job for a mechanical idiot like me without any of the proper tools.  Did it all by heating up the dog bone and linkage body each time to get all the old mangled parts out.  Lots of messing about with different sized sockets and a vice to push the old parts out.  Half a can of WD40 and lots of grease (elbow and LM) later it's all bolted back together and it's SMOOOOTH man!  New rear tyre at the same time - bike should be lovely to ride compared to before.  Even bouncing it up and down feels just so plush.

I can highly recommend the kits from Factory Links.  Nothing missing, everything beautifully made and unusually for me I don't have a load of unexplained parts left over staring at me and making me worry that I've cocked it all up...

A saving of about 50 Euros compared to the same parts from Boano or AzMoto, neither of whom has still bothered to email to say that the kits are even in stock nearly 4 weeks after I first enquired.  Factory Links posted out the same day I ordered on ebay and they arrived here in France 9 days later.  Brilliant.

So in conclusion, even though I live in France less than 500 miles from the Beta factory in Italy, I have to get essential wear and tear parts from the U.S. to get anything like a decent service. Anyway, all's well that ends well and I can't wait to get out on the bike next weekend... 

Edited by daveuprite
  • Like 2