2004 Yamaha Big Bear 4x4, neutral light on but not in neutral.

I am not sure what is going on here but the transmission had work fine before. I had some service done to it and when I was picking it up it clicked into gear and would not move even though the neutral light is on. To get it on my trailer I had to put it into 2x4, pick it up and roll it on that way. Am I missing something here? The transmission should be fine. Thanks, any help would be great.

Sometimes all you need to do is rock the quad back and forth a few times to free up anything that is binding. The light could be a simple adjustment or bad neutral switch (maybe even a short in the wiring).

Hard to say without more information. What kind of work did you have done? Were there any issues before the service?

They replaced the woodruff key and timed it. I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow and let you know. I really appreciate your response.

take it back to whoever did the service and make them fix it.. there's many things they could have forgotten to do or messed up while putting it back together..

take it back to whoever did the service and make them fix it.. there's many things they could have forgotten to do or messed up while putting it back together..

So I was able to get it out of neutral. Just rocked it back in forth. So it now definitely needs a new head gasket and the carb float is stuck. It starts up perfect with the electric start but once it uses the gas in the line it shuts off and the gas will begin to just piss out the over flow. I'm not sure if I want to get far into the motor but the pull start is really tough to pull and does not really budge. Not sure what is going on but the wheeler sounds good when running. Buying a new carburetor, $47 vs $23 for a rebuild kit, buying a new air filter, new oil/filter, another good once through and she should be good.

While it never hurts anything (other than your wallet) to replace the old carb with a brand new one, I think your only issue is the float hanging up and that is usually a quick, cheap and easy fix.

Replacing the engine oil is a good idea after all the flooding and a new air filter is always a good idea.

None of this sounds related to your original repair. Good luck and post your results so others to learn from the experience.

Oh, I thought rocking the quad would free up the transmission. It happens often

While it never hurts anything (other than your wallet) to replace the old carb with a brand new one, I think your only issue is the float hanging up and that is usually a quick, cheap and easy fix.

Replacing the engine oil is a good idea after all the flooding and a new air filter is always a good idea.

None of this sounds related to your original repair. Good luck and post your results so others to learn from the experience.

Oh, I thought rocking the quad would free up the transmission. It happens often

I went ahead and bought the new carb lol I just don't really feel like dealing with rebuilding the carb or cleaning it. My goal is to either sell the wheeler or get a quick trade for a decent sled. It should be up and running mint by next week. I will surely be here with updates. Thanks.

• Like 1

Update. Did everything I said I was gonna do and the machine growls. It started first try with the electric starter and the pull starter worked as well. The $40 brand new carb was beyond expectation and really made the difference. It was tuned perfect and ran right away with the choke off. The head gasket no longer smokes and the intake ring got replaced. Now I just placed an order for small cosmetic things, fuel meter, some screws, getting some new hoses.

I was wondering if I could get an opinion though. The plastics are definitely sun bleached but still have their integrity. I was think of spraying some truck bed liner which is a little gritty but thought it would be cool. Is there any other products anyone could recommend that make plastic look decent without much labor or expense? Thanks.

IMG_1476714580.980519.jpgIMG_1476714595.225214.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. Doesn't fill in the deep scratches but with a few Yamaha logos it will look good. Also painted the racks and fender with black and redid the other plastics too. Waiting on a few misc parts from Yamaha. Gotta power wash the whole thing. Should have it done by this weekend and will post pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: so the four wheeler is basically done besides buttoning down a few screws, and changing the rear brakes. To my discovery thought the right side high beam does not work. Both lights turn on when on normal light but when I flick to high beam only the left goes bright and the right shuts off. Is this a bulb issue or a wiring issue? I know it could be simple enough to find a bulb somewhere but I am just wondering. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...