First "bad" wreck

Heres some background, im 18, ride a cr250r, and am a c class rider.  I was riding at a private track yesterday, one i am very comfortable on.  It was freshly tilled, packed, and the track was just drying from a light rain.. It was good and tacky.  I was riding and came around the last corner before the finish lline jump, (nothing big, its kinda built like a wedge with the down slope for a landing) i came at it fifth gear wide open like i normally do, As i came into the air i noticed i was starting to nose dive and gave it some gas but it was too late.  I endod and went over the bars and face planted.  From this point on for a solid 2 or 3 minutes i dont remember anything but from what everybody tells me i didnt know where i was or what was happening but i never actually completely knocked myself out.  I got it all on go pro which made for one hell of a video!!  I didn't go to the hospital but from what ive read on google ive got a concussion.  Walked away with one hell of a headache and alot of bruises.  When i hit the groud and faceplanted head first i honestly think the only thing that save me was my neckbrace.  Without it i think it would have been alot worse.  The worst ive ever ate it is just laying it over.. this one was bad and kinda shook me up a little.. but i figured, why quit, shit happens, i need new bars now but atleast thats the only thing i need to fix.  Tried to get on the bike today but i was too sore to even get it started.. Let's hear your guys first "bad" wrecks!

Edited by BikeFlipper37

Dude if you hit the ground that hard and you think you have a concussion you might just have one. You should go ER or at least urgent care, concision could be more serous than u think.

For me I came up short on a double and went over the bars, landed on my stomach wind knocked out if me and could not catch my breath for a couple mins "that sucks"! Nothing broken but ended up with pancreatitis nod a $13,000.00 medical bill for the ER. I did not have insureance at the time. SO the biggest hit for me was,I decided I would not ride again until I had medical insurance. I did not ride for a year! That sucked.

Edited by Bill_B
  • Like 3

It's not too late for concussion treatment.  See a  doctor, or if you have to, read up on the internet - or better yet - have a buddy do it.

No TV, radio, books, computer, etc for three days.  Just sit in a chair and watch the birds.  Veg out.  Nap.

Rest your brain.

Edited by tedcool
  • Like 1

tedcool, on 03 Oct 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

It's not too late for concussion treatment.  See a  doctor, or if you have to, read up on the internet - or better yet - have a buddy do it.

No TV, radio, books, computer, etc for three days.  Just sit in a chair and watch the birds.  Veg out.  Nap.

Rest your brain.

I do that at work 5 days a week!

• Like 2

Dude if you hit the ground that hard and you think you have a concussion you might just have one. You should go ER or at least urgent care, concision could be more serous than u think.

For me I came up short on a double and went over the bars, landed on my stomach wind knocked out if me and could not catch my breath for a couple mins "that sucks"! Nothing broken but ended up with pancreatitis nod a $13,000.00 medical bill for the ER. I did not have insureance at the time. SO the biggest hit for me was,I decided I would not ride again until I had medical insurance. I did not ride for a year! That sucked.

The only reason i haven't gone yet is because from what ive read it doesn't seem to be severley bad.  I never threw up, and made myself stay up for 8 hours after.  I had jelly legs for the rest of the night but my legs and knees are also covered in bruises.  It's been 2 days now and i'm still finding bruises i didn't know i had

Significant brain injury can happen even if you don't have the symptoms you mention.  Doctors around here lately give you a three day timeout for any hard knock.

We can thank the football players for what we are now finally learning about brain injury.

I'm just saying you are likely to feel better if you get the good rest than if you don't.

• Like 1

My worst wreck was one I walked away from without any injuries.  I was on a single track in the mountains near Mancos, CO and hit a tree root with the bottom of my left fork leg.  The root was jutting out into the trail and I didn't see it.  I was hauling ass, the bike endoed and cartwheeled a couple times, I flew like 25 feet or so.  My youngest son, who was behind me said it was the most spectacular endo he had ever seen.

• Like 1

I've had some pretty good crashes, but i had one about 5 weeks ago that topped it all, I'm surprised i'm still alive

One weekend as normal my dad and i headed out to our riding area! Got geared up and warmed up, we headed out for our first ride! doing some single trail and blasting though the tight fire roads just having a blast as we always do.

We came up to this flat dirt road that was packed hard with sand-not loose just hard packed floor.trees and grass border both sides of this narrow trail leading dead straight. my dad on my 350sx-f and myself on my ktm 250sx we go flying down this road at least 4th gear flying. my eyes are forward and in one split second i see a massive slim rock about 5 6 inces from the ground, it was to late and any attempt in dodging it was useless. My front tire hit it and sent me forward on the bars as i lost total grip i was at the mercy of speed and force..... my rear tire goes to meet the same rock and as it hits the rock it launches my bike in the air and i proceed to do a flip with my bike, At this point i remember nothing. I landed on my neck and shoulder while flipping onto my butt and into the grass next to this road, my bike does anther flip and lands on it's wheels and falls off to the side of the road with me. At first i was winded and thought for sure i had broken my collar bone and or shoulder, i was in so much pain i just could not believe what had just happened, my first thought was " move your arm! is it broken?" It wasn't sure felt like it was, after 20 mins sitting there with my dad and inspecting the damage to the bike i get on it and ride slowly back to our camp site, i get back and i'm in serious pain, Long story short i went home and slowly but surely my body healed, Though i lost some motion in my neck ( i can't turn it all the way left or else i get a sharp pain) I will probably go to the doctor during the winter to get it fixed. As of right now that was the worst crash i myself have ever had. I don't want to have it happen again and I'm thankful that I'm not paralyzed or broken. I still think how lucky i am that my 220 pound body going faster then i can run didn't break my neck as i landed on it.

Well that's my story

:D

• Like 2

Got tboned at a hare scramble, wasnt going fast but i landed on my left side with my arm out, dislocated my shoulder. popped it back in & rode another lap. was hurtin to bad to finish... Worst so far hopefully i dont have anything crazy but thats how it goes, deal with it when it happens & try like hell not to! 

I was practicing whips on long table top.. nothing extreme.

Bike got away from me and inverted, couldn't push out from under it. 

Bike landed on me, suffered compound fracture tib/fib, compound fracture ankle, broke ribs on each side, collapsed lung, broke fingers, torn MCL, torn elbow and shoulder tendons/tissue.

Was out for a full year.

I don't do whips anymore.. straight jumps only.

Cheers

Head on collision with a big guy on a RM250 and I was 13 on a KX80... Severed middle toe and broke almost every bone in my right foot plus a broken thumb. It was fun... On my way to and from the hospital, every bump in the road I could feel broken bones shifting and grinding. Spent five hours in surgery - doc wanted to amputate half my foot, grandmother begged to try to save my foot. Foot and toe was saved but it look hellish - complete open wound with bones showing for three months. I turned down skin grafting. I was young and dumb and wearing sneakers. Now I wont ride without top of the line MX boots.

• Like 1