Getting a street legal title/plate by registering it in South Dakota...experiences?

Hey...so I've been itching to get a dual sport bike, but it then occurred to me to just see how difficult it would be to just make my current dirt bike street legal.

Within 5 minutes of searching, I found this video:

There is a link in the description as to exactly what needs to be done in order to do this. I read through many pages of the thread, and apparently any dirt bike can be easily converted to a street legal motorcycle by doing this. The thread is about 25 pages long, and it still is apparently working today.

I compiled all of the necessary paperwork (which really is just my bike title, the 2 forms from the link, 1 of them notarized, a copy of my license, a bill of sale so I don't have to re-pay any taxes, and a letter giving them my contact info so I can arrange payment over the phone).

I called the South Dakota DMV/treasury place first to verify that I can do this. I didn't just want to randomly mail my title away. They were very cool, and apparently people do this all the time to make their dirt bikes street legal. Therefore, I sent the documents to them today. If all goes as they say it will, I will have a license plate for my bike within the next 1-2 weeks.

The plate will be a South Dakota plate, but everything will still be legit because the registration for the bike will match my home address. The new (street legal) title will arrive in 6-8 weeks, and I can then see if I can simply just transfer the plate to PA. Apparently, in the 25-page thread about this, most people don't have any problems transferring the plate to their home state. However, even if they do, it's still not a problem, because if you get pulled over and the officer asks you for "license and registration", you legally have everything to give him.

Obviously, I will be putting on all the necessary components that my state requires, so I don't get a ticket for that (headlight, turn signals, mirrors, brake light, etc.). But it's cool to know that I already have the plate first without actually needing to show anyone my bike and have it pass inspection.

Any experience with this?

I live in Wyoming and just bought and plated a WR450f. You can plate anything here, but if LEO pulls you over needs certain basic things - brake light, rear view mirror, mounted plate, and horn. Got these parts from Baja Designs. Easy peasy. Now I'm plates and legal. I know some folks who played through SD. But thought I'd pass this on as well.

I have not but bike's are pouring onto Craiglist here with SD plated wanting extra money.

Does anyone know if you can get a green sticker bike plated in California if it has more than 7500 miles.  I have a Honda CRF250X.

I'll bet you could have plated it at a Penn. DMV, did you look into it? How can you get SD plates without a SD drivers license? Did going through SD cost any extra money?  I'm surprised this is legal, there's gotta be some catch

I'll bet you could have plated it at a Penn. DMV, did you look into it? How can you get SD plates without a SD drivers license? Did going through SD cost any extra money? I'm surprised this is legal, there's gotta be some catch

If I went that route, I'd first have to have a street legal bike (including tires)...and even then, it may not pass for legal.

With the SD thing, I just send some papers in and voila...I have a plate in a week.

The catch is that it's not a PA plate. But once I have the SD title, I can always transfer it over to PA

Hey...so I've been itching to get a dual sport bike, but it then occurred to me to just see how difficult it would be to just make my current dirt bike street legal.

Within 5 minutes of searching, I found this video:

There is a link in the description as to exactly what needs to be done in order to do this. I read through many pages of the thread, and apparently any dirt bike can be easily converted to a street legal motorcycle by doing this. The thread is about 25 pages long, and it still is apparently working today.

I compiled all of the necessary paperwork (which really is just my bike title, the 2 forms from the link, 1 of them notarized, a copy of my license, a bill of sale so I don't have to re-pay any taxes, and a letter giving them my contact info so I can arrange payment over the phone).

I called the South Dakota DMV/treasury place first to verify that I can do this. I didn't just want to randomly mail my title away. They were very cool, and apparently people do this all the time to make their dirt bikes street legal. Therefore, I sent the documents to them today. If all goes as they say it will, I will have a license plate for my bike within the next 1-2 weeks.

The plate will be a South Dakota plate, but everything will still be legit because the registration for the bike will match my home address. The new (street legal) title will arrive in 6-8 weeks, and I can then see if I can simply just transfer the plate to PA. Apparently, in the 25-page thread about this, most people don't have any problems transferring the plate to their home state. However, even if they do, it's still not a problem, because if you get pulled over and the officer asks you for "license and registration", you legally have everything to give him.

Obviously, I will be putting on all the necessary components that my state requires, so I don't get a ticket for that (headlight, turn signals, mirrors, brake light, etc.). But it's cool to know that I already have the plate first without actually needing to show anyone my bike and have it pass inspection.

Any experience with this?

While you will (maybe) get a title that previously stated ORV only converted to an On Road Title, many states do not go by the title and instead, by the VIN, for the very simple reason that laws vary greatly from state to state.

I know VA would accept that converted title and if the bike was converted to comply with all the road going equipment, it would allow you to ride on the road (though I think in the DC metro area it is different)

I know first hand, PA does not. They go by the VIN when issuing plates (like CA does). That does not mean you cannot get your bike on the street. It means you still have to have it signed off by the State Police and the DMV. So going to S.D. to get a title in PA is a waste of time because you still have to do all the same steps you would of otherwise.

If you ride a bike (or drive a car) registered to you out of state and you live in PA, you have 30 days to transfer the registration to PA.

• Like 2

Well, I already sent all the papers in...so I'm going to be getting an SD plate regardless.

1.) I will simultaneously be "dual sporting" the bike once this kit comes in the mail Friday. So by the time the plate gets here, I will have a bike that's compliant with all of PA's rules (minus the tires and maybe speedo/odometer).

2.) once the title comes in the mail in about 8 weeks, I will then attempt to get the title transferred back over to PA. They may not give me a problem, or maybe they will just tell me what needs to be done. At least I'll already be close to being able to pass an inspection.

3.) Worst case scenario...I just ride around with SD plates, and if I'm stopped, I will provide proof of registration and just pretend that I didn't know about the 30-day rule. From my research, no one really gets bothered for having the out of state plate.

Well, I already sent all the papers in...so I'm going to be getting an SD plate regardless.

1.) I will simultaneously be "dual sporting" the bike once this kit comes in the mail Friday. So by the time the plate gets here, I will have a bike that's compliant with all of PA's rules (minus the tires and maybe speedo/odometer).

2.) once the title comes in the mail in about 8 weeks, I will then attempt to get the title transferred back over to PA. They may not give me a problem, or maybe they will just tell me what needs to be done. At least I'll already be close to being able to pass an inspection.

3.) Worst case scenario...I just ride around with SD plates, and if I'm stopped, I will provide proof of registration and just pretend that I didn't know about the 30-day rule. From my research, no one really gets bothered for having the out of state plate.

NJ has law about having to transfer out state plates to NJ plates in 30 days too, but there is an apartment complex by me that has a large "undocumented" worker population and every time I drive by there, several times a week, I see a lot of cars with Pennsylvania plates. It could be one of those laws that some LEOs aren't aware of.

Well, I figure that if, for whatever reason, I am unable to get a PA plate, I will just ride around with the SD plate on my bike until I'm told not to.

But I will definitely be trying to do everything that I can in order to get that PA plate...

My Baja Designs kit should be here by Friday, and my plate should be here within the next week or 2 :).

Irishman, you'd have been better off installing your Baja kit this weekend, and going to the registry Monday morning. Now you say you'll be waiting a week or two just for the SDplates, and that's probably if your lucky. Plating my DRZ in Massachusetts was difficult only because I didn't know the correct venues to go through, I eventually found out I had to go through the DMVs' Title Department first, then the Department of Safety and Compliance signed off on my bike. The 1st step is to make your bike street legal, that includes tires. In Mass., I didn't need a speedometer, but basically everything else that you would see on a factory street legal bike. Sounds like you already sent your title to SD, maybe you'll have good luck and everything happens quickly and smoothly. Yeah, having a plated dirtbike is the nuts, you're gonna love it

On 10/6/2016 at 4:08 AM, Dmouse said:

Irishman, you'd have been better off installing your Baja kit this weekend, and going to the registry Monday morning. Now you say you'll be waiting a week or two just for the SDplates, and that's probably if your lucky. Plating my DRZ in Massachusetts was difficult only because I didn't know the correct venues to go through, I eventually found out I had to go through the DMVs' Title Department first, then the Department of Safety and Compliance signed off on my bike. The 1st step is to make your bike street legal, that includes tires. In Mass., I didn't need a speedometer, but basically everything else that you would see on a factory street legal bike. Sounds like you already sent your title to SD, maybe you'll have good luck and everything happens quickly and smoothly. Yeah, having a plated dirtbike is the nuts, you're gonna love it

Dmouse,  Do you have more details on the process of getting a dirtbike road registered here in MA?

Just now, bliksem said:

Dmouse,  Do you have more details on the process of getting a dirtbike road registered here in MA?

After the Titles Department assigned an inspector from Safety & Compliance to me, the inspector came to my house, looked the bike over, after passing it he signed a form that I took to the DMV along with the Certificate of Origin and the bill of sale. I had owned my DRZ E for a number of years and had to pay the sales tax along with a penalty for not paying the sales tax when I bought it, it was a private sale and I never really knew you were supposed to do that for a private sale on a dirtbike

9 minutes ago, Dmouse said:

... with a penalty for not paying the sales tax when I bought it, it was a private sale and I never really knew you were supposed to do that for a private sale on a dirtbike

The state always wants tax. If you buy something out of state, you are legally required to pay a "use tax" in your home state, to make up the lost tax revenue. Once you want to get legal title, plates and registration, every state will take their taxes.

Just now, pat22043 said:

The state always wants tax. If you buy something out of state, you are legally required to pay a "use tax" in your home state, to make up the lost tax revenue. Once you want to get legal title, plates and registration, every state will take their taxes.

You end up paying sales tax at the registry with street bikes, a dirt bike is different. I live close to NewHampshire and have always registered off-road there and they never inquired about any sales tax on my bikes. I can recall around a half a dozen bikes I've bought and eventually sold, and never paid a state sales tax on them, and honestly I didn't think I had to, otherwise I would have

1 minute ago, Dmouse said:

You end up paying sales tax at the registry with street bikes, a dirt bike is different. I live close to NewHampshire and have always registered off-road there and they never inquired about any sales tax on my bikes

Isn't New Hampshire one of those weird states without a sales tax? Yeah, they don't charge any sales taxes on anything. (well maybe booze and tobacco).

I know for sure that PA charges sales taxes when a dirt bike is titled. They charged nearly a grand when I titled my new KTM 300

Just now, pat22043 said:

Isn't New Hampshire one of those weird states without a sales tax? Yeah, they don't charge any sales taxes on anything. (well maybe booze and tobacco).

I know for sure that PA charges sales taxes when a dirt bike is titled. They charged nearly a grand when I titled my new KTM 300

Correct, NH has no sales tax. There aren't any legal places nearby me in MA to ride, therefore I never registered off-road there. I wonder if they sales tax you when you register off-road here? I'm not even sure where to get an off-road registration in MA, in NH you get a sticker and they are usually bought at a bike shop or a general store

Vermont. I have done this many times.  I've had bikes with VT plates and MA addresses on the registration.  

After six months MA does not charge tax for bikes registered out of state.  So, I register in VT and then bring it into MA six months later.  VT lets you plate a bike before insuring it too. 

• Like 1

So if you live in MA and have a bike registered from out of state, say SD, how do you handle insurance?