Rain/Winter Rising Gear

Saw you out there Saturday, and also rode 35+ miles in same conditions. My old dual pane goggles with foam removed top AND bottom never fogged and were good all day ( as usual) . Must be a YMMV situation for each different rider.

Joe

Joe do you perspire? Maybe that is the difference maker.  :confused:          In all seriousness, I will give that a try next time everything is just too damp and fogging. Also, was thinking of making up my own Turbofan goggles with one or two fans like this

http://cncsuperstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77

without having to drop $170 or what ever the Turbofans are running. 

Edit, I did pick up some Dare Devil Goggles. I have worn them twice, once riding, and once skiing.  Riding - I perspire a lot, so working hard and going pretty slow they would tend to fog as soon as I stopped. No worse than other goggles.

Skiing - I was at Crystal Mt. last Sunday. We are talking white-room face shots, blown in snow over the waist and flying over your head.  So that was a little bit of an anomaly since that is not normal conditions to say the least. I was working hard, working up a sweat. When I stopped, I fogged. I would expect this with anything other than a turbo fan though. The foam both top and bottom was getting packed over with snow, almost completely cutting off ventilation. 

But.... One really big difference with these goggles is the foam on both sides is notched, providing a full-on side vent which pretty much allows the goggles to de-fog once you start moving. Sometimes that took a bit longer than I wanted though due to conditions.

Overall - Both conditions were very tough in terms of fogging. I am encouraged by the quick defog once I started moving and will see how they work on a regular ski day when I suspect fogging will be much less of an issue. In terms of moto, that will be tougher, but these should be defogging better than any other goggles I have. Will confirm with more use. 

Cheers -KTT

Edited by KaToomTime

Last week at Tahuya, I used Smith Fuel goggles with a dual pane lens. They fogged slightly when resting, but cleared at low speeds. I wore Mountain Hardwear Dry Q Elite ski touring pants, and my legs stayed dry after puddle jumping all day.

I would look into ski gear for winter riding.

Edited by Rck18

Interesting. I'll try the double panes in a different frame.

Here is what i do:

buy cheap scotts 83 series goggle ( most common shape)....remove single lens to keep for summer riding ( also 83 goggles).  Then buy $20 83 series dual lens and put that in. I then remove upper AND lower foam ( no nonsense about breath getting in because mine doesn't)....then add a quick release kit and i am all in for about $60

Joe

• Like 1

Some folks face don't perspire like others. I've gotta couple friends that rarely fog no matter what they are doing...I fog from time to time...others fog up everything everytime they put something over their face.

• Like 3

I sweat like crazy and am usually too warm riding the NW single track. I have however been pleased with the Klim Revolt Pullover. I am a Lg but wear a XL over my chest protector, this worked amazing at Tillamook last weekend (45 degrees) with a Nike dri-fit base layer and a jersey under the chest protector, good for light rain also. The material is really light and thin but amazingly strong.

http://www.klim.com/Revolt-Pullover-3214-003

• Like 1

I sweat like crazy and am usually too warm riding the NW single track. I have however been pleased with the Klim Revolt Pullover. I am a Lg but wear a XL over my chest protector, this worked amazing at Tillamook last weekend (45 degrees) with a Nike dri-fit base layer and a jersey under the chest protector, good for light rain also. The material is really light and thin but amazingly strong.

http://www.klim.com/Revolt-Pullover-3214-003

That is good to know. I basically narrowed my search down to that same pullover. Tried one on and now just waiting to see if anything goes on sale post Christmas. I will probably get the latest iteration as that is the material I was able to get my hands on. I would like a double layer (not lined) goretex pullover but no one makes them that I can find. The Klim gortex pullover is lined and heavy duty (maybe 3 layer) and I would sweat like a pig in it in anything above the low 30's. The Revolt is the perfect weight material.

Joe do you perspire? Maybe that is the difference maker.  :confused:          In all seriousness, I will give that a try next time everything is just too damp and fogging. Also, was thinking of making up my own Turbofan goggles with one or two fans like this

http://cncsuperstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77

without having to drop $170 or what ever the Turbofans are running. 

Edit, I did pick up some Dare Devil Goggles. I have worn them twice, once riding, and once skiing.  Riding - I perspire a lot, so working hard and going pretty slow they would tend to fog as soon as I stopped. No worse than other goggles.

Skiing - I was at Crystal Mt. last Sunday. We are talking white-room face shots, blown in snow over the waist and flying over your head.  So that was a little bit of an anomaly since that is not normal conditions to say the least. I was working hard, working up a sweat. When I stopped, I fogged. I would expect this with anything other than a turbo fan though. The foam both top and bottom was getting packed over with snow, almost completely cutting off ventilation. 

But.... One really big difference with these goggles is the foam on both sides is notched, providing a full-on side vent which pretty much allows the goggles to de-fog once you start moving. Sometimes that took a bit longer than I wanted though due to conditions.

Overall - Both conditions were very tough in terms of fogging. I am encouraged by the quick defog once I started moving and will see how they work on a regular ski day when I suspect fogging will be much less of an issue. In terms of moto, that will be tougher, but these should be defogging better than any other goggles I have. Will confirm with more use. 

Cheers -KTT

Yeah, I found as soon as I stop I take goggles off immediately and keep them face up. They don't fog on me if I am moving faster than 1st gear.

I try to shake off the snow from the vents too. Do you have a breath box on your helmet? That is the biggest difference by and far along with good goggles.

I am getting a Motorfist Alpha snowmobile helmet and their goggles next week I will let you guys know what I think.

http://motorfist.com/alpha-helmet/20607-05/product/

• Like 1

Yeah, I found as soon as I stop I take goggles off immediately and keep them face up. They don't fog on me if I am moving faster than 1st gear.

I try to shake off the snow from the vents too. Do you have a breath box on your helmet? That is the biggest difference by and far along with good goggles.

I am getting a Motorfist Alpha snowmobile helmet and their goggles next week I will let you guys know what I think.

http://motorfist.com/alpha-helmet/20607-05/product/

Have ya seen or tried the Ruroc?

rg1-x-inferno-.jpg

Helly Hanson .... I use the helly Hanson work rain gear called armour gear its expensive stuff with the rip stop ... it's $300 for the set, bib pants and jacket which seals around the collar and hand cuff keeps almost all of the rain out. I ride in Vancouver just above you boys and the stuff works and is tough. Under it I run a jersey and some under armour compression type pants. Your going to sweat and get wet but this keeps the mud out and off, easy rinse and the warmth in. http://www.hhworkwear.com/can/PRODUCTS/ARMOUR-BIB-PANT

Best part they stand behind it as I ripped mine at work and they gave me a new pair and they where 3 season old

I work outside in this stuff all day and go home dry so it's well tested

Edited by cdn_rider
  • Like 3