Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Jeff Stanton Interview

Good read but bad news again. I absolutely hate the idea of 20+ rounds of StupidCross. I don't even enjoy going to those races anymore.

For the general fan SX is where the future is IMHO.

Most outdoor tracks offer poor visuals, mediocre facilities, and lousy amenities. Fans can spend their hard earned money on lots of sports these days, if you want to attract more than the hardcore you have to compete and give the reqular fan what they expect. It ain't the 1970s anymore.

I have been going to MX at Southwick on and off for 30 years and go there with a riding buddy if that. SX comes to Gillette and friends, family, riders, casual fans, people at work all want to go. Just saying. :ride:

For the general fan SX is where the future is IMHO.

Most outdoor tracks offer poor visuals, mediocre facilities, and lousy amenities. Fans can spend their hard earned money on lots of sports these days, if you want to attract more than the hardcore you have to compete and give the reqular fan what they expect. It ain't the 1970s anymore.

I have been going to MX at Southwick on and off for 30 years and go there with a riding buddy if that. SX comes to Gillette and friends, family, riders, casual fans, people at work all want to go. Just saying. :ride:

Very true, but as talked about in that thread awhile ago, I don't think it is going to help the sport in the long run. You still need the grass-roots of the sport. This sport will head towards a Nascar type of set-up where the privateer will be pushed even more out of the way than it already is. The only problem is I don't think this sport can survive on a Nascar, MotoGP platform. You need the core riders / fans to make it work. An up-and-comer now has little to no chance of stepping from local races into the pros, because SX is it's own animal. And I don't buy that AX is a good stepping stone either. I dunno, not trying to say that the sky is falling but I just don't see this as going well. You might grab the casual fan at first but over-saturation is also a bad thing. And the casual fan can lose interest as quickly as they came. You need the core riders / fans and MX Nationals has a big influence on that. Just my opinion, not that it matters.

• Like 1

great reading..  I watched these guys growing up, jeff, mike, lisa, and many others Dehoop, roth (what happen to mike roth) week in and week out of racing. Jeff was a work horse machine.   

• Like 2

Very true, but as talked about in that thread awhile ago, I don't think it is going to help the sport in the long run. You still need the grass-roots of the sport. This sport will head towards a Nascar type of set-up where the privateer will be pushed even more out of the way than it already is. The only problem is I don't think this sport can survive on a Nascar, MotoGP platform. You need the core riders / fans to make it work. An up-and-comer now has little to no chance of stepping from local races into the pros, because SX is it's own animal. And I don't buy that AX is a good stepping stone either. I dunno, not trying to say that the sky is falling but I just don't see this as going well. You might grab the casual fan at first but over-saturation is also a bad thing. And the casual fan can lose interest as quickly as they came. You need the core riders / fans and MX Nationals has a big influence on that. Just my opinion, not that it matters.

Sure agreed and thanks for your opinion much appreciated. I was not meaning to imply that the core is not needed. My implication is that we already have them, in fact, most of us here on TT pro are among them. At least here in the East the outdoor tracks are not that family friendly i.e. where the uninitiated get to line up at one spot on the track looking through a chain-linked fence and watch bikes go by without much of a view outside of a small area --gets boring fast.

SX works better --in my view-- for the newbies and uninitiated at least  who can see most of the action and get a feel for what is happening. Most of the core folks ride or have ridden and have some feel for the sport but a lot of new fans may not have that. This year I brought a group of people --all newbies-- to SX at Gillette and it was great. Everyone had a great time and could see all the action & great racing, no chainlink/limited view, good comfortable seating, great food, no dust no dirt or hiking to a shitty spot along the fence where no one else is for a good reason...  :ride: 

I understand your concern about up-and-comers but on the face if it I don't see that path widely available any longer anyway. Pro MX riders today are a lot like pro tennis players, they start really young with a focus on the sport working their way through pro guidance and probably home-schooled if not off to some kind of riding boot camps.

The core riders/fans will still go to outdoors, like I make it to Southwick and Unadilla most years, but the core riders/fans are not the growth area for the sport on the fan side IMHO, this is not to say that the core grassroots is not needed just that a broader group of fans is needed for the sport to grow and thrive. 😉

• Like 1

Most outdoor tracks offer poor visuals, mediocre facilities, and lousy amenities.

No incentive, another way to screw the little guy

The huge majority of kids are growing up to be  indoor, puny little tech addicted wusses. No hunting, no fishing, no riding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Local tracks are dying daily, so will the sport. Offroad areas are shrinking daily, so will the sport. Just a matter of time. 

• Like 4

The huge majority of kids are growing up to be  indoor, puny little tech addicted wusses. No hunting, no fishing, no riding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Local tracks are dying daily, so will the sport. Offroad areas are shrinking daily, so will the sport. Just a matter of time. 

I go to a lot of race tracks in Okla. and Tex. and the minis are getting fewer every year. The age classes from 40 and up seem to be on the rise esp. the over 50s and the places that have over 60s.

• Like 4

Apart from most kids being attracted by tech gizmos rather than outdoor activities,

the parents funding this expensive sport for their young kids have less hobby funds available.

Also the parents themselves have likely less mechanical abilities than the previous generation so

repairs done at the shop rather than in the backyard are adding to the high cost of ownership.

(see this regularly, parents & kids show up at the track all decked out in flashy gear / graphics

but apart from filling up the gas have no mechanical clue whatsoever how to maintain/fix a bike)

The reason you are seing more 40+ adults getting back into dirtbiking is that their kids are grown up / out of the house.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 5

Maybe but for some odd reason ATV and other powersports sales continue to rise. Go into most motosports places in this area and dirtbikes & minibikes are shunted off to the far corner with just a few choices. Showroom floors are loaded with expensive ATVs, Watercraft, SXSs, and Snowmobiles taking up all of the space. Somebody is buying them.

Also, a lot of those "techie kids" own expensive mountain bikes, bmx bikes, and skateboards. Got an indoor skatepark (inside an old plane hangar) near here and lots of those kids have expensive  boards, scooters, and bikes and ride those pipes and ramps way better than we could.  

I don't think they are wusses, dirtbike stuff is just not marketed right IMHO. The Japanese companies are living in the 1970s the shit does not sell itself anymore, either that or the margins are so much better in ATVs & etc. that it is not worth selling bikes any longer.

• Like 2

I like motocross better than supercross...sx gets boring at mid season and costs more for me to go watch. I think there is a good balance right now. Fled sounds greedy and that can really damage the sport in the long run. Sx tracks are being made for stunt men these days....I want to see some real racing not a guy with a 20 sec lead.

• Like 1

Fantastic read.. what I got out of this article is the following: our new generation of riders are not gladiators like the old school... monster energy and field are going to destroy our sport and the hopes of the youth.. and that Stanton is simply a bad@$$

• Like 3

^^^Nailed it. Love that old school no bs attitude. 

Compared to women, supercross is like that skanky girl you enjoy in the moment, but deep down you know she's actually pretty gross inside. Outdoors is the one you marry. 

• Like 3

SX is a show.

MX is a Sport.

If Feld increases the SX season, how many will be able to finish a season? The field gets depleated now by round 6.

They will have a chase style system next year to help riders who get hurt. 

^^^Nailed it. Love that old school no bs attitude. 

Compared to women, supercross is like that skanky girl you enjoy in the moment, but deep down you know she's actually pretty gross inside. Outdoors is the one you marry. 

Increasingly MX is the fat old hag with her Stevie Nicks 1970s hair cut sittin at a smelly old bar complainin about her 3rd divorce. 😉:ride: