WONT WHEELIE

IMG_1488397635.476192.jpg

Hope this means I won't have to clutch it to wheelie in 2nd. Power wheelies are more radical imo.

Keihin Flat slide FCR pumper carb. Practically a direct fit for the 600. This one is off a 03 Yamaha yz450f. All it took to adapt it was about an inch worth of pipe and a $4 silicone joiner. I'll have finished pictures once I finish the top end rebuild

Oooo exciting stuff! 

Looking forward to reading all about it! 

I heard knocking your ex timing of by a tooth also gives a noticeable power upgrade! Maybe worth doing as your going all out! 

I did hear about that, dude at the Kawasaki dealer is like a KLR king. Real old dude. He said after he dyno tested two bikes side by side results showed them it didn't make so much an increase in power as it just lowered the peak torque a few hundred RPM. As much as i want to try it I've missed this bike long enough. Just gonna put it to spec and hope that carb does the trick. It was a monster before, can't wait to see the after. Lol

I'm considering a build thread on it, probably start it when I get home. Lol

• Like 1

changing the exhaust one tooth works best on the Gen II head,  and Gen I heads that have been ported. Eagle Mike is the originator of this mod as far as I know (he dyno tested it a few years back). the 3 klr heads are not the same... the 600 head and the Gen 2 are better castings with cleaner ports. doing the tooth on the straight Gen I head has had mixed results... possibly due to variations in the castings. there is a big thread about this on 650.net somewhere.

I thought it worked for me, but I have a stage 1 head & 705,, plus other stuff

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder if it was a accidental find :smirk: ..Or one of them where you are just fed up of taking the cams out over and over :smashpc:

I doubt it knowing of his capabilities but would be a funny story 

Also ....After checking my valves to find my timing had slipped ...And that a bolt had Broken in the head on its way out  and my valves were leaking ..And basically having a thoroughly horrible time 

It all went back together ...Leaked at the head ....All back together again without a leak ...And IT WHEELIES ...Shame on me for not checking sooner but I'm a happy chap for now !

Edited by BAM-BAM-BAM

I moved the one cam on the '05 I had , can't remember which one honestly , is a popular mod for many other bikes or quads for changing power characteristics in racing . On my '05 it really helped the lowend to mid for good response ,don't think it made much more power (maybe torque) but it was a felt change . I had done a mild porting before that when I had the head off plus shaved the head and cylinder surfaces , .018" between the 2 so a small comp bump.

Another good carb upgrade without going to a FCR is a Harley Sportster 883 carb . They are a 40mm cvk also but have an accel pump to give better and quicker throttle response .

Another good carb upgrade without going to a FCR is a Harley Sportster 883 carb . They are a 40mm cvk also but have an accel pump to give better and quicker throttle response .

Have you actually done this? We could never get the AP squirt tuned in. If you've done it, I'd like to know what you did

It was an upgrade I did to my former '05 KLR650 because I had one on hand . washers on the pump rod IIRC altered timing  ,Worked good but what do I know.

Edited by jjktmrider

It was an upgrade I did to my former '05 KLR650 because I had one on hand . washers on the pump rod IIRC altered timing  ,Worked good but what do I know.

Crap I was hoping you could help. Always trying to add to my carb knowledge. We tried all sorts of things. The AP shot was always too rich. Oh well.

Since it's not a FCR with adjustments you have to think outside the box. Now how does the FCR reduce squirt ? hmmm

Different amounts are adjusted by the leak jet. Timing is on the screw.

the  CV40 that the Hardly uses is a pretty different carb from the CVK.... different castings, different jet numbers, emulsion tubes, etc, so don't mix parts. the diaphragm & slide are the same though

I was going to try one some years ago but didn't.... seems like you have alter the intake side of the carb too because HD screws a box to the carb for the filter... no rubber boot. it's been done though

Edited by Beezerboy