MX Etiquette Q

I was stalled out in a hairpin turn, struggling to get bike started. A hot shot comes around, roosts me with a 1/4 ton of dirt. 

I'm a novice so getting roosted is part of it. But stalled out getting roosted like that? What do you guys think?

I'm a beginner, so for what this is worth. My take on it is that as long as I'm not being run over (stupid close also counts here), or I'm not running over someone else, ever thing else is fair game. Roost away! It is a race track after all.

Being stuck/standing in the apex of the 180 hair-pin turn, you are in the roost zone. Most likely you are on the outside berm and they now have to come inside = you are in the maximum roost zone of a good rider. LoL.

Another thought is that maybe they bleed a bit more speed coming into the turn to be on the safe side. I know my track has jumps very close to the exits of the corners. You need to really get on the throttle in many of the exits of the turns to make the jump that follows.

Roost: sometimes you give it, sometimes you take it.

Just my two cents...

• Like 4

Even if he was passing you in that same corner you would have ate roost it's the fact that your stalled and standing that makes it seem worse. If I'm on a track doing laps and someone stalls I'm gonna stay away but I'm not gonna slow down just so I don't roost them. The faster guys would never get practice in if they were worrying about roosting less skilled or fallen riders.

• Like 1

The faster guys would never get practice in if they were worrying about roosting less skilled or fallen riders.

That's a great point. Something for me to keep in mind.

This guy was a beast. Fastest guy I ever saw in person. Whipping every jump.  Half the riders pulled off just to watch him. Viewers were shaking their heads in disbelief. Anybody else lapping me this frequently I would have accused of cutting the track.

As GoneDirtBikn said, he probably bled speed cause of me and was now trying to make it up. When he did, I practically needed a shovel to dig myself out.

WAS PISSED AS ALL HELL AT THE TIME!  No doubt because I was kicking a dead horse of a bike at the time.

• Like 1

Does your track have separate sessions for A, B, & C?  If so, and he was out during the Novice C group, then total dick move.  If not, and it was a free for all, then yeah - just gotta suck it up  :doh: .

Edited by BLSJDS

Does your track have separate sessions for A, B, & C?  If so, and he was out during the Novice C group, then total dick move.  If not, and it was a free for all, then yeah - just gotta suck it up  :doh: .

No separate sessions. 

lol can't really expect a fast guy to not practice because there are slower people he might roost.

no one is saying he can't practice but roosting a riding trying to start their bike is a dick move, he could of easily picked a different line

He was in a hairpin turn, typically people take the outside line to keep momentum. So if a guy stalls in the outer line what is someone else supposed to do? I'm not gonna go off the track so I don't roost him am I ? No you take the inside, it's riding a dirtbike if you can't handle eating roost take up knitting for crying out loud.

• Like 2

".... or fallen riders?"  You'd roost a guy on the ground?

IMO: If obviously not hurt, I'd say it is OK. If hurt or otherwise needing assistance (for example, fallen in a blind spot around corner = really freaking dangerous for all), I (as most other riders) would stop to help in what ever way I could. I'm a beginner, been in that position plenty and never expected anyone to adapt their riding unless it is a safety issue. MX is not golf! If I was worried about etiquette I'd play golf. I hate golf.

• Like 2

This attitude gets people hurt. Race practice is race pace. Don't blame fast guys for getting after it. I'm a little biased, I've had too many newbs get off pace in front of me without signaling.

I'm wondering what you mean by this. Is this a case where someone just slows down for no reason on the track (really should keep pace until clear of track)? I'm a beginner and crap do I find it annoying when someone passes me only to start going slow. I'm confused by "signaling" as I would assume stay on pace (understanding that everyone has their pace, aka ability) or exit off track.

I'm a beginner and I go as fast as I can, however need to live within my ability for my well being and the well being of others. So I can only take turns so fast and speed is dependent upon the difficulty of the turn. So if you spot a beginner (I'm assuming we are easy to spot), you expect them to be slower in the turns? Also, do you anticipate the possibility they may get hung up in the turn if say there are some nasty ruts?

".... or fallen riders?" You'd roost a guy on the ground?

dude it happens all the time! I'm not very fast but it's happened to me a few times when ive gone down and I didn't get all pissy, its part of the sport if you don't like getting dirty don't ride a dirt bike enough said. Honestly if someone is down in a corner (not clearly hurt) and I have to take the inner line I'm not gonna worry about getting him with my roost.

Getting roosted is something that happens. If you do not want to get roosted, then ride where there are no other riders.

I am an old guy, no longer competitive because of infirmities. I just like to ride and enjoy myself. I stay away from riders that are 'going for it'. If I want to ride the track, I'll wait until the fast guys are taking a break and when they come back, I leave. No biggie.

When I ride trails, I stay well behind a front rider. I also admit to deliberately slowing so a rider comes up close behind me so I can roost them. People try to pull that on me too, but I always keep my distance, stopping if need be.

Bottom line is, if you get roosted, it is your own responsibility. If you were in front, no one could roost you. If you are in back and do not want to get roosted, stay further back. Simple..

I'm wondering what you mean by this. Is this a case where someone just slows down for no reason on the track (really should keep pace until clear of track)? I'm a beginner and crap do I find it annoying when someone passes me only to start going slow. I'm confused by "signaling" as I would assume stay on pace (understanding that everyone has their pace, aka ability) or exit off track.

I'm a beginner and I go as fast as I can, however need to live within my ability for my well being and the well being of others. So I can only take turns so fast and speed is dependent upon the difficulty of the turn. So if you spot a beginner (I'm assuming we are easy to spot), you expect them to be slower in the turns? Also, do you anticipate the possibility they may get hung up in the turn if say there are some nasty ruts?

Exactly. If you have a mechanical problem or something doesn't feel right, throw up a hand to let people behind you know you're off pace and get off the track asap. My example was from roadracing where a hand signal is required if you get off pace, even during practice sessions. I don't know if you get black flagged in mx for being a hazard to other racers. Different situations i guess.

Body language should be enough. If I see someone standing up strait and going slow, it's obvious they are off pace.

It's also what I do when I first get on the track. A lot of the time it's already been open for a while when I take my sighting laps. I stand up tall, and stay consistant. If I'm running a sighting pace, I'm not going to go full pace for a strait and then back to sighting pace. I ease into it slowly. No surprises for anyone coming up behind me.

The same goes for slowing down. Putting a hand up isn't going to stop someone coming up from behind from nailing me. Slowly ramping down to a pace to exit the track. I also try to avoid/minimize looking back

If you stall try to get all the way to the inside, less roost

Edited by temporarily_locked